Is there any point querying...

Judelou

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judelyon.com
Literary Agents in the United States when my book is set in rural England, and I am from the UK? It has a connection with UK Royalty, so it may be of interest.
I don't know if I am posting in the right forum...sorry...newbie :)

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
If literary agents only represented books that took place in their own country, then fantasy and science fiction writers would have a terrible time finding representation.

If the book matches an agent's interests, why would it matter where it takes place? Also, you can certainly query agents in the US, just as I can query agents in the UK. The only obstacle you might run into is agents who only take snail mail queries, and there's not many who still have that policy.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Jude, you'll find it easier if you have an agent who is based where you live, and you'll benefit far more from the relationship if you're within visiting difference.

I'd suggest you approach UK agents first, if you live in the UK.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Really? I assumed with modern communication that distance wasn't as much of an issue anymore. One of the agents who asked me for an R&R is on the opposite coast from me. I could get to Canada faster than I could get to where said agent works. I never saw it as a barrier, though. I know plenty of authors who've never met their agents face-to-face.

Not arguing, you know way more about this than I do, but just surprised.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
It surprises me a tad too - I don't even live on the same continent as my agent. It means I get emails at 3am quite often, but other than that it's not an issue. It'd be nice to meet him. Not essential, or required.

I think rather the issue is: do the agents you are pitching to have contacts where they could sell that sort of book? Have they repped/sold similar previously?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Much depends on how the various agents work, of course: but most of the ones I know spend time working with their author-clients in order to best develop their careers, and to make sure that their publishers fulfill all their obligations.

It's perfectly possible to work well with a distant agent, of course: but it's much easier to work closely with your agent when you are, in fact, close to them.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I think the location of your agent has two factors to consider, neither of which should be deal-breakers.

Their proximity to you.

Their proximity to publishers.

Of the two I'd rather have the second. Sitting down for coffee with my agent would be great, but really I'm happier that she's within a short commute of most of the major publishers in North America and she can easily visit them for some face-time.

I think she's actually farther from me, geographically speaking, than she is from the UK.