Video Game Rights

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to sub my novel soon. In the meanwhile, I am working on a video game with my friends based on the world of my book. (World only! Only loosely related to the book)

My plan is, the game I'm working on can get more exposure cause of the book, and the book can get more exposure cause of the game.

When a publisher gets the rights to my book, I assume they don't get video game rights too?

I know agents negotiate movie rights, but do they also for video games?

I mean since it's not a 3rd party, and I'm the one creating the video game with my friends (we already have a contract laid out on how everyone's getting paid), I wouldn't have to pay my agent 15% of the video game's revenue or anything like that would I?

I know this something I would ask my agent once I get one, but just wanted a glimpse of what I should be expecting.

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers may or may not ask for ALL rights. You can always negotiate that if it's a sticking point for you.

What do you want an agent to negotiate re. the video game? Under normal circumstances I suppose they would, but since you're creating the game yourself I can't see why you'd even want an agent involved there.

Of course you wouldn't have to pay your agent for a video game that was already in progress. Just make sure it's in the contract you sign with your agent. As with publishers, these things are negotiable.

Pamvhv

Sipper of Mojitos
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookalicio.us
You and your agent will discuss the rights you are okay with letting go and those you want to hold on to. However, there are ways to sell your game to your publisher too as a transmedia experience where you still get to develop it yourself.