In Querying New Agent, Mention Previous?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of switching agents (not exactly a process). As I query new ones should I be mentioning that I'm seeking new representation (not said agent's name of course) or is it not even worth it?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my second agent and I didn't mention anything until she gave me an offer. It's not worth mentioning to all your agent queries that you had an agent before. Not until they show an interest. Good Luck.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my second agent and I didn't mention anything until she gave me an offer. It's not worth mentioning to all your agent queries that you had an agent before. Not until they show an interest. Good Luck.

Okay, thanks! :)

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I second not mentioning it until they ask. I'm certainly not going to tell a new agent that I was unsuccessfully represented for X years by Agent Y, twelve years ago, and have moved on to a genre which Agent Y won't even read.

Wow, never thought of it like that! GREAT point! :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Are you trying to find an agent for the book being shopped, or a new one?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Are you trying to find an agent for the book being shopped, or a new one?

For the new one I've written. X has the first one but has vanished, won't respond to emails or phone calls...since december.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a contract or agency agreement with "X", then you might be stuck until you get/give am official termination notice.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a contract or agency agreement with "X", then you might be stuck until you get/give am official termination notice.

No contract, which is the only reason I've already begun querying again.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd still make certain that the severing of ties was communicated clearly (preferably in writing), if possible. Acting prematurely on something like this could cause trouble with a new agent as much as with the old one if things weren't clear. Also, have you checked out the agent in the B & BC section?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Also, have you checked out the agent in the B & BC section?

Yeah. It seems he's been known to permanently vanish even with projects he was originally excited about.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's insane and also sucks. :( I'm sure someone else with more knowledge than me can help, but maybe a registered letter would be your best bet if you can't get him by phone or email.

I'd just hate to think that you might sign with someone new and have problems if they didn't feel that your previous relationship had been severed properly. It would also be best if you could find out if the book has been submitted to anyone and to get a list if so.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
That's insane and also sucks. :( I'm sure someone else with more knowledge than me can help, but maybe a registered letter would be your best bet if you can't get him by phone or email.

I'd just hate to think that you might sign with someone new and have problems if they didn't feel that your previous relationship had been severed properly. It would also be best if you could find out if the book has been submitted to anyone and to get a list if so.

It is pretty crazy. I have emailed asking about submissions...a few times with no response. I started some short stories, emailed to see if I should pass them on to him or if I should submit to magazines myself with no response.

I'm thinking if I get an offer I'll send a registered letter. Does that sound legit?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

For me, this is the thing. You really do want that submission list. Even though you're querying a different book, which is good, it's important to know where your work has been. Best case scenario is that he's not been subbing it anywhere, despite his claims, and you now have two books with fresh starts. But, without that list, you can't know.

And I would try phoning at this point, if you haven't. I also agree with sending a registered letter officially severing the business relationship (whether or not you reach him by phone). Even though you don't have a contract, this is a really small industry, and it can't hurt you to do things the right way. It can only hurt you not to.

ETA: Just saw your post since I started drafting. Agents rarely deal in short stories. And, if you're querying new agents, you need to be done with this one first. Clean break, finished. You can't have both.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It is pretty crazy. I have emailed asking about submissions...a few times with no response. I started some short stories, emailed to see if I should pass them on to him or if I should submit to magazines myself with no response.

I'm thinking if I get an offer I'll send a registered letter. Does that sound legit?

Well, even searching beforehand can be viewed as a negative. I mean, so much about the agent/author relationship is trust, and no agent wants to sign with someone if they think that person might go behind their back and search for a new agent. The offering agent might understand, but they might also see it as inappropriate.

I think it's best to get the affairs with the current agent settled 100% before sending out any more queries. That way you know you're safe, and really waiting a little while longer won't hurt.

ETA: You mention asking about how subs are going and short stories, but have you actually written to the agent to say "We need to discuss our arrangement" or "rethinking this relationship" or something like that? I think at the very least you should send an email that says you are unhappy and would like to terminate the relationship. If you haven't said that, it could take him by surprise because he may not even realize you're unhappy.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Well, even searching beforehand can be viewed as a negative. I mean, so much about the agent/author relationship is trust, and no agent wants to sign with someone if they think that person might go behind their back and search for a new agent. The offering agent might understand, but they might also see it as inappropriate.

I think it's best to get the affairs with the current agent settled 100% before sending out any more queries. That way you know you're safe, and really waiting a little while longer won't hurt.

ETA: You mention asking about how subs are going and short stories, but have you actually written to the agent to say "We need to discuss our arrangement" or "rethinking this relationship" or something like that? I think at the very least you should send an email that says you are unhappy and would like to terminate the relationship. If you haven't said that, it could take him by surprise because he may not even realize you're unhappy.

Good points. I emailed him yesterday so I'll wait a couple days and email about my concerns. Sounds good?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds good. As long as you hold off on the querying until later. That's the sort of thing that can really come back to bite you in the butt, so I just want to make sure you are covered.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds good. As long as you hold off on the querying until later. That's the sort of thing that can really come back to bite you in the butt, so I just want to make sure you are covered.

Definitely. I only queried 4 agents and will hold off till I reach him (if not) then send a registered letter. Annoying, but best to do things right. Thanks Kaitie. Thanks all!

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of good advice on the contract/switching issues, so I'll just add a dissenting viewpoint to your original question. I'd say mention you're seeking new rep.

I asked several agents about this after I split with my first, and all but one said to mention in you query if you'd been previously repped - that it worked in your favor. They understand things don't always work out, so they don't hold it against you. But previous rep suggests to them that you can write, and they'll take a closer look at your material.

I had about a 40% request rate on my query and eventually 5 five offers, so it certainly didn't hurt me to have mentioned it.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
In my case, I'm not mentioning it. I split with my agent back in 1999, he never sold anything of mine, and most of the editors he shopped my work to have moved on from their Big Six houses. Plus, my work has improved since then.

Question is if you were in my situation...mention it or no?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Question is if you were in my situation...mention it or no?

In my opinion, that's really hard to advise at this stage (for someone who doesn't advise against it, across the board, and I definitely don't). I mention it in my queries, because when agents ask what happened with my former agent (and they do), I'm able to respond truthfully about why we parted and it's all fine and reasonable.

Until you actually part with your agent, it's impossible to know what your end result is going to look like. Maybe it will be helpful to include, maybe it won't. This feels very cart before the horse. I strongly advise you to track down your current agent and have a serious conversation.

New agents will not look kindly on a client who queried them before they'd left their previous representation. What would inspire them to trust that you won't do the same to them while they're trying to shop your book? Your agent's lack of communication will no longer be the point, your behavior will.

It's a big decision. I really, really advise you to try to talk to your agent first. Make sure he hasn't been sick, or experiencing computer malfunctions. The signs don't look great, but still.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Have you considered making a clean break from your current agent? Is he still querying your work? The reason I ask is because I've had this same conversation with several of my agent friends, and they won't even consider taking on a client who is currently represented because it looks a bit like author poaching. So you could be sabotaging your efforts by querying while still represented.

You have the option of not mentioning your current representation in your query letters, but what will a new agent's reaction be if you tell her after she accepts you as a client? She'll feel like she's been lied to. This has happened to me - where authors fail to mention their books were previously published. When I find that out - because I google them - I feel like I've been lied to by omission. Thankfully, this doesn't happen after I signed them because I vet potential offers very closely. Agents don't always do this.

Your other choice is to never reveal that you were previously represented, which is also fraught with peril because your new agent may query the same editors - who will inform her they've already rejected this before. This will make your agent very sore at you for lying, and may dump you.

As Giant Baby said, you need that submission list from your current agent, and he should absolutely send it to you. And then you might want to consider whether to make the break fromhim - and you can only know what to do by talking to your current agent and coming to some agreement.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Giant Baby--it's going to come up anyway, though. I mean, whether it's a clean break or not, before accepting any offers it would have to be discussed. I think it could be phrased in such a way as to not be overly negative ("We had differences in communication styles" for instance) that wouldn't be agent bashing.

I've heard the same thing as Ink Wench, that it's good to mention. At the very least, I'd mention it at the full stage. I'd almost worry that it would come across as trying to hide something to not mention it until later.

Besides, it shows that your work is up there in quality because someone else had represented you before, right?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
As Giant Baby said, you need that submission list from your current agent, and he should absolutely send it to you. And then you might want to consider whether to make the break fromhim - and you can only know what to do by talking to your current agent and coming to some agreement.

I'm beginning to think I should just email him right away. Also I have a feeling he hasn't submitted it anywhere, because he asked for a short synopsis to send with the mss., but I have to admit what I sent him was not my best...so I think that turned the tide against me.