Agents & Writer Couples...

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, do agents subscribe to an unwritten norm in regard to representing married couples who write, assuming all works produced are essentially collaborations?

To be clear, I mean the same agent representing both people.

My apologies if the question seems elementary, but we have received confusing (and occasionally contradictory) guidance and advice in this regard.

Our focus is on agents representing fiction.

Any insights would be appreciated.

- Thanks, in advance.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it really matters either way. Worry about getting one of you repped then that person can always ask the agent to consider the spouse's work.

I thought you were going to ask about agents who represent their own spouse, I know Barbara and Ben Bova fall into that category.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
If your work is all collaboration, then you are querying as an author team, and it doesn't matter one iota whether you're married to your co-author or not.

Agents rep author teams all the time. If the book you're querying is a collab, then query it as a collab. If they want to rep the book, they're going to rep the book, and if the two of you spin off and start writing non-collaborative stuff, you'll all cross that bridge when you come to it.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you are author team where you are co-authoring a work together as JSSchley says, then a writer and his/her spouse are separate clients and would query as such--even if they influence each other's work.

I will add that one of my pals writes solo and as part of an author team. She and her partner queried as a team. The agent who reps them took them on as a team and individual clients, but not all agents may do the same.