Is is appropriate to . . .

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
send an agent an email after I receive a rejection from them. She said I had a good story that wasn't right for her. But mostly she gave me some advice after I mentioned how I wanted to become an agent in the query. I found it helpful and just wanted to thank her.

I wasn't sure if that would be appropriate or if she doesn't have time to read a short thank you letter.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think for something like that, a thank you would be appreciated by her :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's fine, a quick thank-you when an agent has taken the time to write a personal reply is just fine.

There are always lots of agencies looking for interns who can work from home (you don't have to move to NYC) I used to see those jobs posted frequently when I was agent hunting. I think the main task is to sort through queries and manuscripts so 90% of the crap is filtered out. That might be a good way to get a foot in the door.

Of course a degree in English Lit or Writing is almost mandatory if you want to get anywhere.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
There are always lots of agencies looking for interns who can work from home (you don't have to move to NYC) I used to see those jobs posted frequently when I was agent hunting. I think the main task is to sort through queries and manuscripts so 90% of the crap is filtered out. That might be a good way to get a foot in the door.

Really? I've not heard of any where i could work from home. That would be perfect. Do you know where I can find these at? Or do you know any of the agencies or pub. houses that do this?

I'm working my English major now, and should be study abroad that focuses on creative writing. Hopefully I'm accepted.

Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find the agency... It was one that had a full of mine so I checked their twitter feed often to see where they were at with reading, they were looking for someone at that time so a lot of tweets came up about the internship. Here's a website with a ton of internship positions with publishers and agents though.

http://www.bookjobs.com/internships.php

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest bookjobs too

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'll spend some tonight looking through the site. Hopefully I can find one as you've described.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
I would suggest following as many agents you can find on twitter as well. Many of them tweet about intern or assistant openings. Actually, I just saw Jessica Sinsheimer and Jenny Bent both tweet about agents at their agencies looking for new interns today.

AnthonyJones

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest following as many agents you can find on twitter as well. Many of them tweet about intern or assistant openings. Actually, I just saw Jessica Sinsheimer and Jenny Bent both tweet about agents at their agencies looking for new interns today.

I couldn't find where Jenny Bent mentioned an internship.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Susan Hawk was probably the one I was thinking of too. She had my full over the summer.