PDA

View Full Version : How many books?

brainstorm77
02-19-2012, 08:45 PM
How many books does it take before you give up on an author?

For me it's two books.

I ask because I have a few readers who dislike my books, but they keep buying. I'm not complaining since a sale is a sale :D, but I'm curious to know how many for others.

scarletpeaches
02-19-2012, 08:48 PM
If it's rapey, abusive crap masquerading as erotic romance, I won't buy anything from them again.

If it's a traditionally-published book and the author is generally well-thought-of, I'll give 'em two or three goes. Maybe years later I'll try again.

kasper
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
I wish there was an option for not giving up, but I guess I'll have to settle for voting 5+.

EDIT

Whoops. I misread that. I tend not to give up on an author unless they've written a terrible book in a series that I really like. For example, I really love The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, but the last two books in the series have been terrible by comparison to the others. I refuse to read the newest one to spare myself such disappointment.

But if an author writes a bad book hear and there, I think I can be forgiving of that.

Calla Lily
02-19-2012, 08:54 PM
I gave up on Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge series after 5 or 6 books, and only because the author shifted focus from the MC to the current mystery bad guy. :( I loved that character, but he got shuffled to the wings.

I gave up on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books after 5 or 6 as well, when the books became slice-of-life, AKA "How many supernatural creatures will Sookie sleep with in this book?"

I'll stick with a series author till they change the focus of the series in a way that no longer grabs me. Their choice, certainly, as it will be mine.

Right now I'm still hooked on CS Harris' Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries. #7 is coming out next month. I still have hope.

I read every single one of Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries (40+) because the focus was split evenly between the mystery and her MC + sidekick (both of whom were people I wanted to read more about.

ETA: Kasper, dear God, the new ones are dreadful! Book 3 of 4 in the new series basically packed 150 pages of action, plot, and character development into a mere 700 pages. I wanted to gouge my eyes out. I get them from the library, and I plan to get the last one form there next year and read 3 chapers: beginning, middle, and end, just to see how he wrenches some kind of conclusion from this overblown dreck.

brainstorm77
02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
I gave up on Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge series after 5 or 6 books, and only because the author shifted focus from the MC to the current mystery bad guy. :( I loved that character, but he got shuffled to the wings.

I gave up on Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books after 5 or 6 as well, when the books became slice-of-life, AKA "How many supernatural creatures will Sookie sleep with in this book?"

I'll stick with a series author till they change the focus of the series in a way that no longer grabs me. Their choice, certainly, as it will be mine.

Right now I'm still hooked on CS Harris' Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries. #7 is coming out next month. I still have hope.

I read every single one of Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver mysteries (40+) because the focus was split evenly between the mystery and her MC + sidekick (both of whom were people I wanted to read more about.

ETA: Kasper, of God, the new ones are dreadful! Book 3 of 4 in the new series basically packed 150 pages of action, plot, and character development into a mere 700 pages. I wanted to gouge my eyes out. I get them from the library, and I plan to get the last one form there next year and read 3 chapers: beginning, middle, and end, just to see how he wrenches some kind of conclusion from this overblown dreck.

The Harris book that concentrated on the fairies was a bad read for me. I'll give her next book a go only because I loved the rest of the books.

brainstorm77
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
If it's rapey, abusive crap masquerading as erotic romance, I won't buy anything from them again.

If it's a traditionally-published book and the author is generally well-thought-of, I'll give 'em two or three goes. Maybe years later I'll try again.

I'll never forget the historical romance I read where the hero(Loose term) kept raping the heroine. Blech! That was my first book buy that author and I've yet to try another by her.

scarletpeaches
02-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I'll never forget the historical romance I read where the hero(Loose term) kept raping the heroine. Blech! That was my first book buy that author and I've yet to try another by her.I don't blame you.

It also seems to be a popular get-out clause in shapeshifter erotica to say "But the rules are different for werewolves/shapeshifters/supernatural critters!"

Not for me. If they're in human form and force sex on another character, it's rape. Bollocks to the "It was the beast inside!" excuse.

But, I'll stop there or I'll go off on one of my rants again, and I don't want to derail your thread. :)

kasper
02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Not for me. If they're in human form and force sex on another character, it's rape. Bollocks to the "It was the beast inside!" excuse.

Now you've got me wanting to read a story about a werewolf being put on trial for raping a young woman. Has John Grisham included a supernatural twist into his legal dramas yet?

Richard White
02-19-2012, 09:16 PM
I have some authors who I have gotten about halfway through the first book of theirs that I've read - some well known and highly recommended authors - and set them aside and off to the used book store with them.

Some people's writing style, focus of view, political viewpoints easily being seen through their writing, or misdirection (calling the book one thing and then veering into another subgenre) . . . whatever it is, if it's off-putting in one book, I suspect it will not improve for me in another. Too many other books out there to read to spend time hoping an author will get better.

thothguard51
02-19-2012, 09:26 PM
If I can't make it through the first book, then it only takes one book.

If after five books I find the author getting repetitive, droll, or just out there in left field, then there will not be a 6th book. (Thinking of Robert Jordan here.)

Sometimes its not the author, but a particular storyline that has grown stale, or after starting a book, I find it really does not interest me. This is not to say others wouldn't like the style or storyline as is, its just my preferences.

I don't think I have a clear cut X number of books and your off my bookshelves limit...

Stacia Kane
02-19-2012, 09:34 PM
It depends. If it's an author I like a lot I'll keep reading even if quality drops a bit, because there's usually still something there I enjoy. But if it's an author I really like and a book is egregiously bad, I'll give it one book after that, usually. Sometimes two.

I LOVED Elizabeth George's mysteries; I wasn't crazy about a couple of them but the books after those redemmed them (like, I didn't care for PLAYING FOR THE ASHES but the next one was IN THE PRESENCE OF THE ENEMY, which I loved, and then DECEPTION ON HIS MIND, which was one of my favorites in the series). So one bad book won't turn me off a series I love, at all.

But then she wrote WITH NO ONE AS WITNESS, which not only did I not think was very good in general but she killed a major character in it. Then her next book was a re-telling of that major-character murder for no point or reason I could see. I decided to give her next book CARELESS IN RED a chance, figuring maybe now that she'd gotten the look-I-killed-someone-you-like out of her system she could go back to writing involving stories again, but found it to be dull and pointless and kind of annoying.

So now I'm done, and I've stopped reading her books and don't plan to buy any of the new titles.

But in general I think anyone can have an "off" book or one that just doesn't appeal to me much (PLAYING FOR THE ASHES is often listed as a major favorite of George readers, but something about it just didn't do it for me), so I'll give at least two and sometimes three before I give up. And again, it depends on what they did.

Phaeal
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
If I can't make it through the first book, then it only takes one book.

If after five books I find the author getting repetitive, droll, or just out there in left field, then there will not be a 6th book.

I don't think I have a clear cut X number of books and your off my bookshelves limit...

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

kaitie
02-19-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm like Stacia: if I like the author I'll disregard a few books that dip in quality.

If a book is just mediocre, not great but not terrible, I might give the author another try later on, especially if it's recommended. It's always possible that I just picked up a book that isn't as good or not as much my style, but I'd like others better.

If it's a book that I really dislike or that has serious issues with writing style or plot, I'll actively never read another book. Similarly, there are authors I've been turned off by if he/she turns out to be a total douche.

ETA: For a series I'm weird. I might give up on a particular series but be willing to try a different one by the same author. On the other hand, I also am someone who generally avoids books that are part of a series.

Drachen Jager
02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
If I don't like the first book I read by an author I'll give a different author a chance. There are so many authors out there, why would I go for one who doesn't do it for me?

Gretad08
02-20-2012, 12:20 AM
It depends. If I don't like it because it's full of cliches, poor grammar, poor spelling, or just a general lack of imagination, I won't try that author again.

If I don't like it because I find a character annoying, or it's a plot I don't care for, but I still like the writing style, then I might try one or two more by that author.

muravyets
02-20-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't have a hard cut-off number. It depends on what kind of a book it is, how much I don't like it and in what way.

In some genres/sub-genres, I don't mind a few faults if other aspects are done well. In some books, the weaknesses can be bonuses to the overall entertainment effect. However, in a different genre or in literary fiction, those same faults might be an enjoyment-breaker.

Sometimes, I'll collect a writer I absolutely hate in every way and I even read them because the way they fail (failure being subjective) is instructional or entertaining to me. But then, I'm really laughing at them, not with them, and if I were ever to meet those writers, I'd keep my mouth shut.

But if the first book I try leaves me cold, bored, or irritated, or I can't finish it, I'll probably never even think of trying another by that author, unless I get a lot of recommendations from people whose taste I trust. Even then, I'm usually disappointed.

Jamesaritchie
02-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Sometimes one, sometimes a dozen. Sometimes I give up on a series quickly, but give the write another chance if he comes out with a new series.

But I don't read, or at least never finish, any book I don't like. Some writers will write a book I love, then one I don't like at all, and then one I love. I keep giving such writers chance after chance, simply because I'm willing to stop reading one book with no harm done, and try another book later, if I know that writer sometimes pleases me greatly.

Eventually, however, be it after one book or after a dozen, I will give up completely. It's not like I can't find writers I consistently enjoy. I don't have enough years left in my life to read all the books by all the writers I know I enjoy, so giving up on any one writer is very easy to do.

elindsen
02-20-2012, 12:58 AM
I will usually do 2 books. I'm reading a Lynsay Sands book about vampires. Should love it. But it is so boring. I've been reading it for months. I may read another book by her but if things don't pick up I'm done.

bearilou
02-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Hard to say over all. Three seems to be my limit. Sometimes less than one if I can't get past the first half of the book. Sometimes more if I love the series/mc that much that I can forgive a soggy book or two.

veinglory
02-20-2012, 01:07 AM
It depends, if it is an author I used to like (*cough*mercedeslackey*cough*) I might reader 4-5 duds (from me-POV) before giving up.

virtue_summer
02-20-2012, 01:37 AM
There's no specific number. It largely depends on why I gave up on them. One author I just found the first book I read by them a snooze. I'd try another one of theirs if it sounded interesting. On the other hand, I recently threw another book across the room at the end because it annoyed me so much. It was a romance and the hero was too controlling/abusive and right where I would have been searching for the nearest sharp object and calling the police the heroine fell at his feet (tends to happen when your backbone suddenly disappears). It's a shame because I liked other aspects of the book, but when your romance novel leaves me with chills like a horror novel there's something majorly wrong. Not to mention it was a supposedly realistic novel that decided to suddenly throw in magic in the last few pages. That author I intend to avoid.

Kitty27
02-20-2012, 01:50 AM
I give up when an author starts doing ass pulls to mess with the mythology/universe they established in their books. I like for a series to be consistent with certain elements that are established in the first book.

It's an author's right to tweak things but OOC behavior on part of the MC irks me.

I also quit when a character becomes a Mary or Gary Stu. I stuck with Anita Hamilton for a LOOOOONG time but reached a point when "WTF?" became "Oh,hell no".

LJD
02-20-2012, 01:54 AM
It really depends on how much I disliked them.
I've read a lot of "meh" books, and I'd probably try the authors one more time. If it was really, really bad...then no.

Silver-Midnight
02-20-2012, 02:06 AM
If it's a writer I really don't know, then probably two books. Just one if I really, really didn't like the book probably.

If it's a writer I really, really like, hmm, I don't know. Probably four, maybe five. I don't know.

gothicangel
02-20-2012, 02:24 AM
I've given up on Manda Scott, Simon Scarrow and Anthony Riches all before finishing one book.

I mean, where are the Robert Graves', Rosemary Sutcliff's and John Buchan's of the 21st century?

AlishaS
02-20-2012, 02:51 AM
I put 5 or more... I'm such a sucker.

I read an entire series recently... the first two books were amazing, the last... 5 sucked. but I kept hoping they would get better instead of worse.

That said, it's a bit of a catch22 because sometimes an Author only get's one book... if it's completely not what I expected, or I pick something up that turns out to be an erotic novel disguised as something else... well they are done.

MaryMumsy
02-20-2012, 03:06 AM
That is so much an 'it depends' question. I will devour one series by an author, and avoid others by the same author. I love the Spenser books by Parker, the Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone series both leave me cold. Some authors, even well known and highly regarded, only get one chance. I tried Crais and Sandra Brown, both frequent NYT listees. they each only got one chance, and then they were out. Just didn't like their styles. I'm like JAR, there are too many books for me finish in the rest of my lifetime to waste time on books I'm not enjoying.

MM

artemis31386
02-20-2012, 04:21 AM
I give an author three books, then I decidedly stay away from their work.

seun
02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't really have a set figure on giving up on an author. If I notice over the course of a few books that the author is losing me through any particular flaw, I'll be less inclined to go back to them. If that becomes a permanent holiday from them, that's how it goes.

Saying that, I did give up on Koontz years back. I remember the particular scene which decided it for me.

"E is bad for you, everyone. And here's the story of where it came from. Don't worry about the plot or the characters. I'll leave them to lecture you about drugs and rave culture."

scarletpeaches
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Sometimes it's not even about the books for me. It's about the author's behaviour when it comes to promo and suchlike. If all they ever talk about is their books, I become bored with said books before I've even read them, and don't feel I need to any more. This is more true in my genre, though, because there's more chance I'll have intimate (heh) contact with other erotic romance authors. Our paths cross more often. If they see others as numbers, potential readers, dupes and minions, I'm turned off. If your books can't speak for themselves, that says there's not much in them to attract a reader and you need to endlessly bang on about them. Promo, yes. Bookwhoring, no.

There is one author who's a guilty pleasure though. No, not a fellow erotica writer. Quite a big name in traditional publishing. Her writing's fuck-awful, but I still read her books because they make me feel much better about my own. I think, "If this shit can get published traditionally, my agent-bait novel should have no problems at all."

SaronaNalia
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
If the first book by that author that I read is bad, then I stay away.

But if I read an amazing book by an author and then a bad book by them, they get more chances. Because maybe they'll produce something amazing again. However, I'm not likely to keep paying for their books if I suspect they'll be bad. I'll find them at the library.

Dr.Gonzo
02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
It's hard to say. Some I give up with them on one book. But sometimes it takes a while if I've enjoyed other things by them.

For instance. Chuck Palahniuk. He's written some crud over the last few years. I'm a fan of his first few books. Fight Club, Survivor, Choke, Lullaby, Invisible Monsters. After that, I'm left in the cold. I keep trying, hoping the guy will hit form again. Every time I'm let down. His latest, Damned, is a terrbile book. The really bad thing that's happening now is I'm losing my love for his older books because... well, I don't know. Maybe they're guilty by association. Similar to how Star Wars lost some of its magic when Mr Lucas made the new ones.

I'm starting to think that Chuck has said all he has to say. But just in case, I'll keep reading.

Dr.Gonzo
02-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't really have a set figure on giving up on an author. If I notice over the course of a few books that the author is losing me through any particular flaw, I'll be less inclined to go back to them. If that becomes a permanent holiday from them, that's how it goes.

Saying that, I did give up on Koontz years back. I remember the particular scene which decided it for me.

"E is bad for you, everyone. And here's the story of where it came from. Don't worry about the plot or the characters. I'll leave them to lecture you about drugs and rave culture."

What book is that? I've read about three books by that guy. I think my favourite was Life Expectancy. Haven't read the Odd books. Might give them a go sometime.

VoireyLinger
02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Most of the time, one is enough for me. If it's an author I've liked and read often, two.

ChaosTitan
02-20-2012, 07:41 PM
It depends.

For a new-to-me author, if the first book I read by them leaves me wanting to hurl it across the room, I won't read anything else by them. I have too many other books to read. If the first book is so-so, but there's something I kinda like, I'll give them another shot before deciding. Sometimes authors surprise me and books/series get better.

If it's an ongoing series/author I love, I can forgive a few stumbles, but only a few. There are too many books to read that I might like better.

kaitie
02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I'll also add that sometimes you can tell when it's an author's first book even without the words "Debut novelist" written anywhere. That might sound odd, but there is just often something there that improves with a certain maturity as they continue to write. I can think of several authors or series where the first book was mediocre in terms of writing, but as they progress their writing improves as well.

I'm more willing to give an author another chance if I get the feeling that it's their first book and the problems are just a matter of lack of experience.

scarletpeaches
02-20-2012, 08:00 PM
What book is that? I've read about three books by that guy. I think my favourite was Life Expectancy. Haven't read the Odd books. Might give them a go sometime.I recognise it as Dragon Tears. I remember the exact scene seun referred to. An anti-drugs-culture screed. Koontz would have been as well writing "Chapter Whuteva. Drugs are bad, mmmkay? The End."

Dr.Gonzo
02-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I recognise it as Dragon Tears. I remember the exact scene seun referred to. An anti-drugs-culture screed. Koontz would have been as well writing "Chapter Whuteva. Drugs are bad, mmmkay? The End."

Sounds super cool. I think it was The face or something that put me off him.

scarletpeaches
02-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I have that, but haven't read it yet. I also have The Good Guy and one other Koontz; its title escapes me.

And to think, he used to be an auto-buy for me. Or an auto-borrow, if I was poverty-stricken and library-bound.

Calla Lily
02-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I used to read everything Koontz till they all became "rich MC #1 hooks up with poor MC #2, supernatural/evil corporate danger threatens both, godlike dog Saves The Day". I quit at either The Face or From the Corner of His Eye. He just got too sledgehammer for me. When I reread his novella Strange Highways, which I loved once, all I saw was the Giant Sledgehammer o' Theme.

I'll give authors I've liked but who've taken their writing into other directions 2nd and 3rd chances, though. You never know.

scarletpeaches
02-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah. Magic dogs. OKAY DEAN, WE GET IT.

Anyway, yeah. I got his latest (in this country at least) out of the library the other day, 'cause yay free books. But I wouldn't buy him in hardback any more. Possibly not even paperback, unless it was on sale.

Calla Lily
02-20-2012, 08:38 PM
If Patricia McKillip would get less dark, I'd try her again. But her most recent books have been dense, complex, and depressing. :( The first two qualities = good. The last... no.

Dr.Gonzo
02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Some I'm glad I didn't write off. Irvine Welsh. I tried reading Trainspotting maybe three times. I just found it really hard with the Scot's narration and the jumping POVs that sometimes aren't clear until you're mid scene. It was a slog. I tried it again last week because I really wanted to love it and it's also very close to what I want mine to be. It was still hard going but I managed it and then it became easier and now... I'm a fan. I picked up Porno and Filth at the weekend. Think I'll read Porno first while the Trainspotting characters are still fresh in my mind.

I found a new author :)

seun
02-20-2012, 09:18 PM
What book is that? I've read about three books by that guy. I think my favourite was Life Expectancy. Haven't read the Odd books. Might give them a go sometime.

I recognise it as Dragon Tears. I remember the exact scene seun referred to. An anti-drugs-culture screed. Koontz would have been as well writing "Chapter Whuteva. Drugs are bad, mmmkay? The End."

Yeah, Dragon Tears. I was 18 or 19 and just thought, what the hell is this?

One of those I can do better than this moments. :D

Rhoda Nightingale
02-21-2012, 11:23 PM
I agree with ChaosTitan--depends on how well I know the author. If I like the first book I read by them, I'm likely to read more. If I don't, I'm not.

If I've read several books and loved them, I will let a few lackluster ones slide.

There's also a difference in write standalone works versus series. I couldn't get into Stephen King's Dark Tower books, but I will love his individual horror stories forever.

quicklime
02-21-2012, 11:32 PM
depends a bit on the strenght of the recommendations and the level of the craptastic....as well as my own personal peeves.

do one thing really bad and I don't care if I get an email from Jesus telling me your next book is awesome--do a few things kinda meh, and several people claim the next book is better, I may give it another go.

in either case I have a lot of unread books already, so one piss-poor pass may be enough I don't buy another book because I already have like 30 in queue

quicklime
02-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah. Magic dogs. OKAY DEAN, WE GET IT.

Anyway, yeah. I got his latest (in this country at least) out of the library the other day, 'cause yay free books. But I wouldn't buy him in hardback any more. Possibly not even paperback, unless it was on sale.

I hereby challenge you and Seun to both find The Taking and start it on the same day, last man (or woman) standing wins.

what a fuckaree; I think that was the angriest I've ever been at a single author. and if you thought Dragon tears was bad about subtlety, lets say if Dragon Tears was the equivalent of some guy saying "nice pants--let's fuck"....the Taking would be the same guy whipping it out jumping up on the couch in front of you, slapping you until you could feel the sweat, and screaming "in the mouth, baby!!!"

God, i hated that book

Calla Lily
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Now I'm curious.

ETA: Oh, wait. The apocalypse book with blue snow that tastes like "little swimmer fluid" and has pockets of kids being rescued by useful people (teachers, carpenters), each of whom have at least one Godlike Dog?

Yeah. Read it. Um...

Helen Taft
02-21-2012, 11:58 PM
If it's a new author then one book I didn't like will ensure I avoid in future. If it's an author I usually like, then I will give them a free pass a time or two. The only time I might give up altogether is if it is a book in a series, and if it really ticks me off. I would still give another of their series a go though.

quicklime
02-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Now I'm curious.

do this one through loan too.....or just toss your $8 out the window--its just as gone without wasting a few evenings as well.

quicklime
02-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah. Read it. Um...

lmao.

go on......

Calla Lily
02-22-2012, 12:01 AM
do this one through loan too.....or just toss your $8 out the window--its just as gone without wasting a few evenings as well.

I think I spent about 2 hours on it--much skimming was involved.

Srsly, you want a scenario like the one you described above? Read "Strange Highways." I think Koontz' editors long ago gave up attempting to cut one word. They just upload the ms and begin the publicity juggernaut.

Satori1977
02-22-2012, 01:21 AM
If it is a new author for me, I give it one book. If I can't get through the book, I won't pick up another one. If it is a much-loved author, I will give a few more books a try. Like Stephen King. Some of his books, I love. Some I can't get a few pages in before I give up. Some authors just seem to be like that for me, because they are inconsistent. If they are too inconsistent (especially within a series), maybe after 2 books I give up.

BethS
02-22-2012, 01:35 AM
It depends.

Less than one, if I've never read the author before and I don't like the writing and/or story.

If it's an author I've previously read and liked, but the books are starting to go downhill, I'll give it a couple before quitting entirely.

KathleenD
02-22-2012, 03:06 AM
It depends, if it is an author I used to like (*cough*mercedeslackey*cough*) I might reader 4-5 duds (from me-POV) before giving up.

This. Oh, lord, this.

I found ML's first book when I *was* 12 and awkward, so I fell in love with the trilogy. I didn't have the context to judge it.

I have context now. I won't read the co-written ones, I won't read anything with her husband's name on it, and I flat refuse to read the latest attempt at squeezing the last drop of blood from the Valdemar world. The rewritten history of a world I really loved for its consistency and planning is almost... not quite, but almost... as bad as Orson Scott Card's Shadow series. But I'll still try anything else with just her name on it because the first twelve books of hers rocked my developing world :)

seun
02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I hereby challenge you and Seun to both find The Taking and start it on the same day, last man (or woman) standing wins.

what a fuckaree; I think that was the angriest I've ever been at a single author. and if you thought Dragon tears was bad about subtlety, lets say if Dragon Tears was the equivalent of some guy saying "nice pants--let's fuck"....the Taking would be the same guy whipping it out jumping up on the couch in front of you, slapping you until you could feel the sweat, and screaming "in the mouth, baby!!!"

God, i hated that book

If it's a fuckaree (instead of a fuckarow), challenge declined. :tongue

Dr.Gonzo
02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
If it's a fuckaree (instead of a fuckarow), challenge declined. :tongue

Um, I've heard this before. Dreamcatcher?

scarletpeaches
02-22-2012, 02:21 PM

God, i hated that bookI've read The Taking more than once, and didn't think it was that bad. It was one of his better 'recent' books, during the period where he erred away from horror and tried to get into suspense.

There are quite a few of his other novels where he overeggs the beautiful-woman-ordinary-man-supernatural-dog pudding far, far more than in this book.

seun
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Fuck me Freddy, the Dr gets it in one.

Rhoda Nightingale
02-23-2012, 03:04 AM
hahaha--the movie was beautiful. Had me howling. Sometimes you just have to get your lol-goggles on first.

PortableHal
02-23-2012, 05:04 AM
I keep giving Dean Koontz a try...even after the last five novels....

flapperphilosopher
02-25-2012, 03:13 AM
I voted 2, but it really depends; 2 is best-case scenario. If I don't like an author's style, I won't go past 30-50 pages of the first book, unless someone I know really loved it. And if I don't like an author's style I don't bother with them anymore. If the book just bores me, but the style is okay, I might try another of the author's books. If that one bores me too, then they're out. If I actually read a whole book and don't like it, I generally feel too annoyed I wasted time on the book to read the author again, haha (*cough, Atonement!*).

Mr Flibble
02-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Depends

If the author manages to piss me off, less than one.

If the writing is okay/good but the book just wasn't my cuppa, I may give them another try.

If I liked previous stuff, just not this one, I'll definitely give them another go