PDA

View Full Version : Who's Introduction

Who
02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Cody but I'm known by many as Who or Captain. I'm 17 years old and love writing but it wasn't always that way. When I was in first grade my teacher told me that I had some of the worst writing skills of any kid she had ever known at my grade level. Then in 3rd grade I was placed in 'special' reading and writing classes up until 6th grade. I was getting better, but didn't enjoy it all. The goal was for me to be an average writer, that's what I was told I could be with a lot of work. Yet here I am now in my Senior year and after recent testing it was determined that my writing is in the 99th percentile for my age group. Along that process I learned to enjoy writing and eventually grew to love it.

I like what I'm seeing at this website, though I must admit I am not here to hang around much. You see, this year we are required by my school to do something known as the Capstone project. This is a project where we have to do something we've never done before, write a journal and get advice from experts in the field. I chose to write a small book on my experiences in High School. When I asked around for a place online where I could find someone to speak with that was a published author and could answer my questions for my project, I was told to come here.

So, to conclude this post I would like to ask for anyone that has experience in being a published author to come forward and make yourself known to me if you would be willing to answer my questions as my field expert. Thank you! =)

Who

regdog
02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315) and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217563) regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

alleycat
02-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Welcome.

CACTUSWENDY
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Silver-Midnight
02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Welcome.

Tepelus
02-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Hello, and welcome!

W.Wallace
02-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Hello Who, and welcome to AW!

randi.lee
02-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the cooler!

Pyekett
02-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Hello, Who, and welcome to Absolute Write.

People who are willing and suitable to be interviewed for your Capstone project might not see your introductory post. If you don't get a private message or response on this thread in a few days, I'd suggest starting a new thread in the section Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)

You should title it something specific such as "Is there a published author willing to be interviewed?" In the body of the first post, you should be clear about the following:

1. Who you are and what the project is (just as you did above)

2. What sort of "publication" counts (i.e., are you just looking for someone who published with one of the traditional large publishers, or does electronic publication only also count, or are you including people who self-published--the latter means that the book was published for a charge without necessarily having to go through a vetting or outside editorial review process)

3. ***How much of a time commitment you expect*** (this one is very important, because it would be very different for a published author to contemplate answering in writing a one-time set of 10 questions versus talking to you on the phone over a three month period, answering whatever questions come up)

Good luck.

jamiegrl100
02-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Cody, welcome, and don't listen to those teachers, if my english teacher knew that I was writing, she would roll over in her grave, lol

thehairymob
02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
:hi::hooray:

Nina_20
02-19-2012, 06:48 PM
WELCOME! and good luck on your journal. I hope you find what you are looking for here at AWWC!

xXVampyrePrincessXx
02-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Welcome Cody :)

~Amber~

Mark G
02-20-2012, 07:44 AM
:welcome: Welcome to Absolute Write!

Ditto what Pyekett said, verbatim.

Curses! Beaten to the punch.
Sending Pyekett some rep points :)

Lexxie
02-21-2012, 03:00 AM
Welcome Cody, and good luck on your project :)

Gatsby
02-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi Cody!

Allyn
02-23-2012, 04:47 PM
My experience of young people of your age is that they can't write a sentence. They almost invariably use jargon or those pathetic "text" abbreviations as used on mobile phones (I believe you call them cell phones), or both. Indeed some markers of examination papers in the UK have commented on the increased use of these abbreviations in English language examinations. Many job applications are written apparently by semi-literate youngsters.

You, on the other hand, have dragged yourself, painfully to start with, from the lowest level up to a level where you you are articulate and actually enjoy writing.

I congratulate you and wish you well.

Laure de Sade
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Welcome and good luck!

scarecrow
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=Allyn;7035334]My experience of young people of your age is that they can't write a sentence. They almost invariably use jargon or those pathetic "text" abbreviations as used on mobile phones (I believe you call them cell phones), or both. Indeed some markers of examination papers in the UK have commented on the increased use of these abbreviations in English language examinations. Many job applications are written apparently by semi-literate youngsters.

The generation isn't that lost. There are plenty of both air headed texters and kids that know their way around the English language.

That being said, I commend you also. You have come a long way. Unfortunately I am not published YET, but I wish you the best of luck.

Jehhillenberg
02-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Hi and :welcome:!!

Bufty
02-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Whatever you are smoking I suggest you consider quitting.

My experience of young people of your age is that they can't write a sentence. They almost invariably use jargon or those pathetic "text" abbreviations as used on mobile phones (I believe you call them cell phones), or both. Indeed some markers of examination papers in the UK have commented on the increased use of these abbreviations in English language examinations. Many job applications are written apparently by semi-literate youngsters.

You, on the other hand, have dragged yourself, painfully to start with, from the lowest level up to a level where you you are articulate and actually enjoy writing.

CaroGirl
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
What a condescending load of codswallop.

Welcome to AW, Who! Hope you enjoy the forums.

seun
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM

Apologies to the OP for stomping into your post with my size 13s but I couldn't read this without calling it out as pretentious, smug crap that doesn't do the OP, the poster or anyone else any favours.

ETA: Just noticed the quoted poster has been banned. I'm happy to delete this if need be. Or let it stand as a reminder of my sunny personality.