Which comes first...?

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
When I asked questions about co-authorship I rec'd a lot of good (???) responses. Thank you one and all.
Now I have another question: in the process of finding an agent with the goal of publication which comes first --- having the ms edited before querying agents or trusting that any agent/publisher will want to have it edited to fit their needs anyway? What happens if I pay to have the ms copy edited, make the revisions suggested and that editing does not satisfy any agents? Did I waste my money? What one editor thinks might not be what anyone else considers as being acceptable. Does it help when I include in the query that the piece has been copy edited by So&So?
Really there is only one question here... I just asked it a number of times. Thanks.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Aussie. Going to port you to Ask the Agent, which is more appropriate for this question than MTS.

In the meantime, learn to edit yourself. Lots of good resources out there to help you learn how, and you'll save money.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
This pretty much boils down to the age old question "Should I hire a professional editor?" If you search around AW a bit, you'll find at least a dozen threads examining this topic. Some folks will say yes, it's a good investment. Others will say learn to edit yourself.

In the end, it comes down to what you're able to afford, and what your level of self-editing skills are. Writers *need* to learn to self-edit, but we've had members say that they learned a great deal about editing by hiring a pro. You have to decide what will best benefit you.

And it's also worth noting that not all agents edit.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
I won't speak to whether you should self-edit or hire a pro, but I can tell you that yes, the ms SHOULD be edited somehow before querying.

Agents want to see a work that's as close to perfect as you can get it. Of course you'll do more edits if you sign one, most likely with both the agency and then again with a publisher, but sending in something that's not as polished as you can get it on your own is a no-no. Not all agents will do line edits with their authors. Not all agents have the TIME to do something like that.

From what I've read on agent blogs, you wouldn't mention that it's been professionally edited if that's the way you go. Some won't care, but others will be put off by it. Can't really speak to why but my hunch is that those folks feel you should be a pro enough to at least attempt it.

OohLaLaura

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if the answer is obvious, but I'm relatively new to this:

If a publisher and/or agent is interested in your book, will they be providing an editor? For example, if they want to publish, do they have an in-house department that takes over the editing?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if the answer is obvious, but I'm relatively new to this:

If a publisher and/or agent is interested in your book, will they be providing an editor? For example, if they want to publish, do they have an in-house department that takes over the editing?

The person you deal with at a publisher is an editor. They look at the overall work. There will also be a copyeditor who checks for grammar, spelling and the like. If necessary, there will be a fact checker (historical fiction, non- fiction, etc.)

Some agents edit as well, but not all have an editorial bent.