How do I Build a Platform? (without wood)

PBNME

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CancerWhatToDoOrSay.com
:hi: I just signed up for AW last week. Today I received a very nice, but still the same, a rejection letter based on my seedling platform. I recently joined Facebook and have a blog - but how do I get people to these sites? :flag:

Thanks for helping me figure out the promotion bit.

EthanJones

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
ethanjonesbooks.wordpress.com
Visit other people's blog, comment on what you like on their blogs, offer to give guest posts for them and begin thinking about self-publishing your work.

Hope this helps,

Ethan

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A "platform" is not running around online like a weasel on speed. A "platform" is "being known as an expert" or "being someone other people listen to and respect". Generally the first step is to become an expert or otherwise respectable. The second is being able to prove it. The internet may *or may not* have a lot to do with this. My non-fiction platform (basis of a successful book proposal) involved absolutely zero online material.

cate dean

Registered
Reaction score
Kristen Lamb, who is my platform/social media guru, has 2 books out that I think are essential to anyone wanting to do this writer thing.

You can find her at her blog:

http://warriorwriters.wordpress.com/

and her books, We Are Not Alone and Are You There, Blog? It's Me, Writer are easy to get to from there. Check out her blog as well - I love her advice, and I have found most of my contacts through her. Best of luck!

cheers,

~Cate