request for proposal? need advice.

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a memoir and have been querying agents. I've had some requests for fulls and partials. But today I got a request for the proposal, which I don't have.

My query says that the memoir is complete and gives the word count. I don't mention a proposal.

I'm wondering if I should respond with my full ms, or pull together a proposal for this agent? Or, can I respond and say I have the ms available now but would need a week or so to prepare a proposal?

Everything I read says that memoir should be queried like fiction, so I am caught a little off guard by the proposal request...Yet, I don't want to blow the opportunity.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A proposal request would be odd unless this agent mainly deals with non-memoir non-ficton. If they are an agent you really want a lot, I would suggest creating a proposal. It shouldn't take more than half a day, less if they have a template. Otherwise you could just explain it is a memoir and complete, and send the long synopsis and first 3 chapters in lieu.

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
She represents fiction and non-fiction, including memoir. It's a reputable agency with recent sales in memoir.

ETA: Thanks for the advice. I emailed back thanking her for her interest in my memoir and saying I have a completed ms and synopsis and would she like me to send those? I offered to prepare a proposal if she would prefer that instead.

I figure at some point I'll probably have to draft a proposal for the memoir anyway...at least if/when I go on sub with publishers, right?

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, this same question came up a couple of weeks ago. You might find some helpful discussion here (scroll down to post #11, it's an offshoot discussion from the original).

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, this same question came up a couple of weeks ago. You might find some helpful discussion here (scroll down to post #11, it's an offshoot discussion from the original).

Thanks for that link! I searched to see if this has come up before, but didn't see that.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
The search function is sometimes screwy and misses stuff... best to try a few different but related terms to make sure when searching to see if something has been said before.

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
The agent emailed me back and said I should just send the full ms. :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

RLV

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like this a common question for many people who have written memoirs. :) Just for an update: I heard back from the agent who also told me a proposal was not needed, and to just send sample chapters, and an outline so that she can get a general idea as to how the story is constructed.