Committing a Cardinal Sin?

Omnigon

The Book of All
Registered
Reaction score
I've searched for this topic for some information, but can't quite find the exact answer. Apologies if I'm being repetitive but I have to ask, can someone resubmit to the same publisher after several years and extensive revision?

I submitted my ms to a major publisher three years ago and was rejected with a polite form letter. ("Thank you for your submission, but it does not meet our current needs. We wish you the best of luck" etc. etc.) On hindsight I can easily see why it was rejected, but after significant revisions (having learned some very good practical advice from AW and similar resources) I'm getting ready to submit to a new round of publishers, and the thought occurred to me to revisit the original publisher while I'm at it. But I don't want to commit the eighth Deadly Sin by doing so! What are the rules on this dynamic? Would anyone even remember my ms? Or is it just a forever done deal?

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
They probably won't remember it, but it's possible that they have your name/e-mail address or the title in a database as having already seen it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Why would you go direct to a publisher?

Omnigon

The Book of All
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, getting an agent can be nearly, or just as, difficult as going directly to a publisher--not to say I have completely dismissed that route. Also, I write fantasy, and many fantasy publishers accept unsolicited submissions, so it seems a viable way to go about it. Of course it's not the only way.

But I couldn't help wondering if once is never again. I can definitely see the possibility of the database thing, Jamiekswriter. :( Anyone else also feel I've killed off my one chance? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=42044

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly? That's a form letter. If anyone read it at all, it was an intern; the editor never saw it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, getting an agent can be nearly, or just as, difficult as going directly to a publisher--not to say I have completely dismissed that route. Also, I write fantasy, and many fantasy publishers accept unsolicited submissions, so it seems a viable way to go about it. Of course it's not the only way.

But I couldn't help wondering if once is never again. I can definitely see the possibility of the database thing, Jamiekswriter. :( Anyone else also feel I've killed off my one chance?

Getting an agent is nothing compared to trying to sub without one.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

But I couldn't help wondering if once is never again. I can definitely see the possibility of the database thing, Jamiekswriter. :( Anyone else also feel I've killed off my one chance?

Really?
I can only think of a couple and of far more that don't
(And I write fantasy)

My unagented manuscript sat unread for 15 months on the desk of an editor at a major publisher as a requested rewrite. There was always an agented manuscript ahead of it until I finally got an agent - then they rejected it.

Omnigon

The Book of All
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, well that certainly learns me a thing or two. I've gotten most of my information from reading various blogs or casual online research--maybe a couple of friends who have had bad luck getting or utilizing an agent too. I'm by no means an expert on it.

Back to my original question though, supposing no agent was involved (or was, even) are my chances with a particular publisher over?

Thanks much for all the feedback.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If you know that this publisher routinely accepts unagented manuscripts, there's no harm in submitting a substantially revised version of an earlier submission to them after a year or more.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
But your chances of being read by the right editor for your book are substantially increased if you have an agent.

I don't think you've killed off your one chance, so long as your book has been substantially rewritten since they saw it last, and a year or more has elapsed.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Many publishers do keep databases (Harlequin certainly does) but you said it's been significantly revised. I have no measure for what you consider significant, but if you feel you've basically rewritten it, edited out excess narrative, improved the plot and deepened the characters, it may be that you have a different book. Three years is long enough for editors to have come and gone, and it's possible if you resubmit, with an improved manuscript, it might get an even closer look than before (there's no way to tell how closely it was looked at, even with a form letter, despite what the poster I quoted below says.)

If you're determined not to go the agent route (agents can offer a lot of value in your publisher hunt) but have very specific publishers in mind that accept unagented manuscripts, then I think it can't hurt to resubmit it. This wouldn't always be my answer, but after three years and potentially significant revisions, yes.

However, one thing publishers are going to want to know is: have you written anything else in those three years? It's not actually a positive for many editors to hear that an author has been working on the same manuscript for that period of time. It makes us wonder how we're going to build an author that can only write a book every five or so years.

One last thing: if you later decide to go with an agent, you'd need to be totally honest with them about where you'd submitted previously, because it's not a nice surprise to them to find out the book they'd signed has already been rejected by the publishers they'd wanted to target.

Honestly? That's a form letter. If anyone read it at all, it was an intern; the editor never saw it.

Really? That's a broadly sweeping (and thus largely inaccurate) statement.

Omnigon

The Book of All
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that's a lot of really good information I've gotten here. I may start focusing on the agent route as a result; it looks like it might be a good idea.

Of course I will be upfront with my submission history. I'd be deathly afraid of screwing any chance at success if I wasn't. Those things have a tendency to come back and bite you on the asterisk.

Thanks again all for the info. :)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Well...if the manuscript is good enough to interest a publisher, it's good enough to interest an agent.

And an agent knows which editors are most likely to be a good match, knowledge that you don't have. If you submit to publishers on your own, you're shooting blind. And once you've shopped the manuscript around the publishing world, you can forget about getting an agent for it unless you get an actual offer from a publisher.

To answer your original question -- if it's been years and you've revised the manuscript, then I see no reason not to submit it again--except for the one I named above.

Angela James

savvy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Well...if the manuscript is good enough to interest a publisher, it's good enough to interest an agent.

Not necessarily true. It isn't really an inverse effect. There are plenty of books that agents like that publishers don't (agents don't sell everything they sign) and many books that are published that an agent isn't interested in.

Omnigon

The Book of All
Registered
Reaction score
An agent certainly makes a lot more sense after considering the responses here. Trying to go directly through a publisher, while no doubt doable for some, is probably much harder overall for the general newbie writer. Makes sense now! Glad to have the opportunity for good, practical advice like that. I did join query tracker--thanks much for the suggestion jaksen--and am having a closer look at the SF/F agents topic.