Advice on Editing options.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, So I asked a similar sort of question way back when I joined, but I've learned a lot since then about myself, and about the whole process and business of trying to get published.

A little on myself. I've been writing my series for almost 10 years now, sadly because of my several severe learning disorders its impossible for me to correct my own work. Not just my own, any.(And please understand that I worked my ass off to try and fix everything myself. I've been working for the last four years on it, so its not just me being lazy or not working hard enough) So naturally having written a 125K book there are more then a fair share of problems. A special computer program i own has fixed about 97% of my spelling, but its not the best with grammar. A big problem of mine is punctuation. Because of that I even have a very hard time finding beta readers because they find it challenging to read when there are barely any comma's in the entire book.

So now i'm looking into editorial services and options. Because its becoming a daily depressing struggle to think you put all this work in writing and re-writing a book that you cant even query because you dont really have other people's view on it, and because you cant get the manuscript in a final Ready condition.

So I've tried looking up editing services but lets say the low range is about $1,500 that would be a whole year of my wages. (I'm a full time college student) Next i tried bribing friends and strangers to do it, I have one person lined up! But i'm worried that when they see the full extent of the condition its in, they will quickly quit, like others have before. (And i wouldnt blame them if they did honestly) But that would still leave me back at square one.

So really my question(s) is/are, know of other way i can go about getting my manuscript edited that wouldn't cost me my non-existent savings? So far I've tried getting English majors at my college to do it, but i only know a few, and they were all too busy. Think a flyer in the department would be a good idea? (Hell I'm willing to try Crag's List at this point) Know any editing services that are free by any chance? Is it possible to put every chapter up one at a time on SYW and have the amazing people here help? I heard of quick editing programs books get run through when they are about to be self-published... but I also heard they dont really work... are they worth looking into farther? Last but not least from what i know of Agents they dont really want to know/care about any problems the writer has... think one out there might understand and read it with the problems?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any advice!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Do you have any special skills you could trade editing for? I can understand and sympathise that learning/vision difficulties are a good reason to get editing, but as you say, reputable editors are pricey. And you can't really 'trade' editing, since it's something you can't do.

But what about other skills? Do you knit or sew? Clean house? Garden? Babysit or pet-sit? Maybe you can find someone local with whom you could barter services.

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com
I'd suggest getting heavily involved in critique groups. If you write sf/f/h, I highly recommend Critters (free) or SFF/OWW (subscription). I've also had some good experience with Critique Circle (free and fee-based) which accepts a broad range of genres. Of course, there's also the crit forums here at AW.

Writer Beware at SFWA has great information on when you might want to hire an editor and what to look for, and other resources for writers. The article is a bit lengthy, but I highly recommend taking the time to read and explore the links there.

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly i cant think of any real skill i have to barter with. I great with kids and can babysit! But i dont know who for. Although that's an idea i havent thought of before thanks!!!

As for the online critique groups that sounds awesome! Thanks alot for sharing those links!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Editing programs don't work well at all. Don't waste your time or money with them.

I would totally suggest putting up a "I Will Babysit For Editorial Help" flyer in the English department building, particularly in the graduate studies offices and/or lounge. When I was a graduate student in English, lots of my fellow students were single parents.

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
Hell I'm willing to try Crag's List at this point

Professional editing can be very pricey, and for the length of your book, a good copy edit by a good editor with industry experience is going to cost $1,300ish. If you aren't looking for developmental editing, trading with an English major is a great start, and I'd recommend putting up a flyer at your college. If you go that route, make sure you get a sample edit of 10-15 pages so you know the work you're getting is quality.

DO NOT go with a craigslist editor unless the editor can provide you with references. There are a lot of hacks out there trying to make a quick buck, and I've worked with too many authors who have gone with a cheapo craigslist responder and ended up with a bigger mess than they started with.

Good luck!

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com
Editing programs don't work well at all. Don't waste your time or money with them.

I would totally suggest putting up a "I Will Babysit For Editorial Help" flyer in the English department building, particularly in the graduate studies offices and/or lounge. When I was a graduate student in English, lots of my fellow students were single parents.

Ditto on all of the above. I'm not even a single parent, and I'd seriously consider trading babysitting for editorial help. Heck, do you live near Madison, WI? ;)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly no i live in Philadelphia PA, but at this point i'd be willing to travel hehehe.

Thanks for the advice, i'm going to ask an English teacher in that department i sort of know to see if i could get in trouble for that tomorrow.

Vanth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amusingmuse.livejournal.com
I'd be real hesitant to have commas just added by someone who isn't familiar with the text. Commas can change the meaning of a sentence. (One example I've seen is, "Let's eat, Grandma." versus "Let's eat Grandma.")

Have you tried software which reads back what you've written? I know there are freebies available on the web for PC's. I have a mac and all mac's can read back selected text. This technique won't catch sound alike words, but it will let you know immediately if what you've written sounds like something someone would say.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried dragon speech software, sadly you still have to say "comma". I also got a kindle two Christmas's ago and tried to do that with the text to speech feature. Sadly it doesn't work with me. Text to speech only breaks up sentences if you have commas added. So i'd add them where i guessed they would go. Only problem is even hearing the sentences out loud i cant really distinguish if its correct or not. (part to do with the robotic voice) The debating process for if i was correct or not took so damn long... and was really troublesome and unreliable as everything else i tried.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

Lottie

Freelance Copy-Editor; Book me!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an editor!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lottie

Freelance Copy-Editor; Book me!
Registered
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to check with editors at a local weekly or small daily newspaper, too. They are likely as desperate for cash as you and might be willing to trade babysitting service or lawn care or dog sitting or something like that.