Synopsis question

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
This has probably been asked before (please forgive!) but should a synopsis be single-spaced or double? I'm doing one now, and I just want to be sure before sending it out...

Many thanks in advance!! :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Synopses are usually single-spaced and written in third person, present tense. But if the agent or publisher you're submitting to asks for something different then do what they say.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
General rule is a single sheet is single-spaced, three pages are double-spaced, and two pages can be either.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Mind if I tack a question on?

When synopsis length is not specified in an agency's submission guidelines, only that they want a synopsis, is there an arbitrary length they expect it to be? I'm synopsis writing as well and having problems getting it below 2000 words.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Mind if I tack a question on?

When synopsis length is not specified in an agency's submission guidelines, only that they want a synopsis, is there an arbitrary length they expect it to be? I'm synopsis writing as well and having problems getting it below 2000 words.

Personally I like the thousand word synopsis, as I can make it fit two pages or five pages. Two thousand words will run about eight pages in normal setup. However, you can bring this down into six pages without too badly crowded it.

A thousand word synopsis can also be set up very easily using ten points you want to sell. One being the opening and the other the closing. Then right a hundred words on each point. Two thousand words is on the long side.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

DeaK

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jim. I like the advice to focus on 10 points to sell. Will try.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Just returned to this thread-thanks Jim! Appreciate the input :). And best of luck DeaK!