PDA

View Full Version : Need to modernize audio tech in my story

Mark Moore
01-31-2012, 07:23 AM
Okay, so I've written two scenes where MC #1 is described as listening to a mix CD of soft music on a boombox while taking a relaxing bath.

Then I looked up boombox on Wikipedia and realized those were popular up until, like, the late 1990s (honestly, I don't think I've had one of my own since the early 2000s).

Not being a portable music person (I prefer to listen to everything on my comp with headphones), what would be a good replacement for a boombox that doesn't require MC #1 to wear headphones?

I also have her listening to a mix CD in her car, but that's okay, because I do that in my 2009 car, too. ;)

alleycat
01-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Well, maybe not a boombox, but those Boze CD players are still popular, and since they're relatively small, could be in a bathroom I suppose.

Ctairo
01-31-2012, 07:35 AM
iPods can be attached to external speakers. Of course, with an iPod, you're talking about a playlist in lieu of a CD mix. Or if a WiFi connection is available, something like Pandora Radio http://www.pandora.com/ would work.

She could also listen to the iPod in her car (if the make/model permitted).

quietguy
01-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Go with the iPod dock in the bathroom. She can listen to the iPod in her car with an FM transmitter.

JayMan
01-31-2012, 08:32 AM
iPod or other MP3 player hooked up to speakers is definitely the way to go, like Ctairo said.

Also, in many newer cars, there isn't even a need for an FM transmitter to listen to an MP3 player through the car's speakers, because the player can be hooked up directly via an auxiliary input. Of course, that being said, I use strictly CDs in my own car :D

BRDurkin
01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Yep, iPod is the way to go. The only person I know that doesn't have an iPod...is me!