Protocols/etiquette for following up w/ editors

GulfCoastMama

Registered
Reaction score
Recently, an online 'magazine' expressed interest in a query for an article I proposed. The editor responded with: "We are not making promises, but are very interested in this, so work on it". 3 days later I sent the text of the completed article.

It has been almost a month and I have not heard a single word back. I guess I thought that since they themselves suggested I proceed with the story idea, I would at least have gotten some feedback. I didn't expect much, just a 'thanks, but no' would have been sufficient. It seems like it would have been common courtesy to respond to my submission, as I wrote this piece specifically at this editor's request.

Now, another publication that I queried at the same time is expressing interest in this same article (which is, of course, now already written). However, I would rather this run in the first pub since it is a HUGE credit with a very well-known publication (I would actually give it to them for free and be completely grateful for the chance!!).

I guess the question is: is it considered inappropriate to email this editor with a little nudge, basically asking 'what is your decision on this piece?' Would this be okay? If so, have I waited long enough? I don't want to make anyone angry, but I also don't want to let this go to the 'lesser' publication until it has been exhausted with the better one. Or, am I completely wasting my time, and should consider a silence of this length to be an absolute rejection?

I have never had this situation before and am unsure of what to do. Sorry for such a silly question. I have always thought that following up and/or 'pestering' was unprofessional, but wondering if I am allowing things to fall between the cracks because of this belief. Thanks for any advice!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A month doesn't seem like a long time to wait for a response, but since another pub has expressed interest in the piece, I'd send the editor a gentle nudge and ask if your story is still under consideration.

If your note is brief and friendly, you won't come across as a pest but rather a professional who is following up on her submitted work.

Good luck! :)

GulfCoastMama

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Silver King! You make me feel better :)

Once I had the chance of representation with someone who was basically the 'dream agent' for what I do, and I sort of blew it (OUCH!) by pressuring her too much for timeframes, etc. Since them am overly cautious about every follow-up I do. Can't afford to make a mistake like that one again.

Thanks for your advice.