US Aircraft Carriers

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I want to double check some facts about US Aircraft Carriers, Nimitz class.

1. According to what what I've been finding, the height of the flight deck above the water is 57' (fifty-seven feet). This seems low to me, but I don't know.

2. It seems the term "bolter" is used to describe an aircraft that fails to grab the arrestor cable.

Thanks for any help.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
2. It seems the term "bolter" is used to describe an aircraft that fails to grab the arrestor cable.

I believe this is correct (I've never served in the Navy, though). The way I've heard it used is "the pilot had to bolter and go around for another try."

Aerial

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
According to what what I've been finding, the height of the flight deck above the water is 57' (fifty-seven feet). This seems low to me, but I don't know...
It sounds about right. Most of the WW2 ones were around 50', although they were smaller. I don't suppose you'd want a high carrier because it would roll too much and be easier to sink. I seem to recall that the hangar is about 25' high on the Nimitz Class an it occupies about half the above water space (i.e. height). So again, it sounds about right.

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
My dad served on the California, which was a nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser tasked with protecting the Nimitz. He spent a fair amount of time on the Nimitz watching flight ops (always volunteered to go over for supplies). He doesn't remember the exact numbers but thinks 57' sounds about right. He also said that it varied significantly depending on how many planes were on board (displacement).

He had no idea on the "bolter" question though.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
In this photo of a Nimitz-class carrier, the height from water line to flight deck is about 5.4% of the length of the flight deck. If the flight deck is 1092 feet, then that gives a height of 59 feet. So 57 sounds reasonable...

Specs site link (used for length).

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
technical but wouldn't be good to write 'when they miss the tail hook'

what they miss is the arresting cable. The tail hook is attached to the plane.

They come in at full throttle as if they were taking off so that if they miss the cables they are right back in the air DAMNED FAST which is why the are called bolters.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're right PSB, my excuse is that it was past my bed time ;)

MM