Analysing Your Blog

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I've just done a post about my Blog's first month live.

Includes views, visitors, popular posts etc, so figure it could be useful for some people to compare, or for those just starting a Blog, a chance to try some new tools to help analyse your progress better

What can i say, i'm a stat geek :)

Click Here

Anybody else have any experiences they wish to share about starting a Blog? I'd be interested to know when a tipping point occurred and your Blog started to see big increases in views

Also, anybody else use other tools to analyse their blog?

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

thekingsguard

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com
For starters take pride in your stats - I only got just below two hundred in my first month.

Like you, I'm a stat jukie, and I post analysis of my blogs stats on the last day of every third month. Links in my sig, feel free to take a look. For the record, those come in handy for advertisers or potential freelance jobs.

If you're looking for ways to improve your views, the best way is, for lack of a better way of saying, whore the heck out of it. Every site you frequent, post a link in your sig. Post links to relavent articles on relavent sites. Another good way is visiting other blogs, and commenting or subscribing to them. As you might have guessed, bloggers are all both a tight knit group and are all seeking to get our respective work read. Quid pro quo after all.

Aside from that, update regularly and keep appealing to the returning audience - for my own for example, my movie reviews net one of my biggest audiences, so I do one or too a month.

Hope my advice helps.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I'm overall pleased with the first month and think it can help it grow over time.

How long did it take before you started to see significant rises? It looks like you've nearly doubled your views in the last year. that's really good :)

EthanJones

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
ethanjonesbooks.wordpress.com
Hi Matt:

Congrats on your achievement. I use Google Analytics and I got 100 unique visitors earlier this month. My blog has been online since January 1, so I'm very happy with the results so far.

I see an increase on Mondays (after I post a new author interview) and over the weekend (after an excerpt goes in). Now, I've got my hands on some ARCs, so hopefully that will help, once I review them.

Thanks,

Ethan

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
I'm a bit counter-intuitive in that I focus on creating content that is organic to my interests, and only check on blog stats once every few months. I've found it's made me a better blogger, although I am still teaching myself all about brevity.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Matt:

Congrats on your achievement. I use Google Analytics and I got 100 unique visitors earlier this month. My blog has been online since January 1, so I'm very happy with the results so far.

I see an increase on Mondays (after I post a new author interview) and over the weekend (after an excerpt goes in). Now, I've got my hands on some ARCs, so hopefully that will help, once I review them.

Thanks,

Ethan

Congrats on the 100 club. Pardon my ignorance though, what is ARCs?

Watch it be something really simple now :)

and yes interviews and guest posts are huge. Such a good way to not only bring traffic, but just generally improve and learn from others

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit counter-intuitive in that I focus on creating content that is organic to my interests, and only check on blog stats once every few months. I've found it's made me a better blogger, although I am still teaching myself all about brevity.

That's fair enough, and most likely the far healthier method. Being a marketer though i simply couldn't do it. It's all about stats, improve, change things, stats, improve and repeat :)

The most important thing is content though, i totally agree there

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
Since my first post on January 14th, I've had:

40 hits from feministe when I posted on shameless self promotion Sunday.
14 hits from a hentai website I've been on for a few years.
11 hits from my forums.
8 hits from a local forum I visit.
8 hits from my main website.
7 hits from here.
6 from a gaming site.
5 from an erotica forum.
5 from twitter
5 from my SWTOR guild's site
3 from search engines
2 from another erotica forum.

I find it fascinating to know where people are coming from compared to the amount of effort I put into it. Feministe's post netted most of my hits and took me 2 seconds. Most of the forum hits are just from my signature or a small post I made about my blog.

Most of the comments, though, did not come from feministe, which I also think is interesting.

I love looking at stats.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Since my first post on January 14th, I've had:

40 hits from feministe when I posted on shameless self promotion Sunday.
14 hits from a hentai website I've been on for a few years.
11 hits from my forums.
8 hits from a local forum I visit.
8 hits from my main website.
7 hits from here.
6 from a gaming site.
5 from an erotica forum.
5 from twitter
5 from my SWTOR guild's site
3 from search engines
2 from another erotica forum.

I find it fascinating to know where people are coming from compared to the amount of effort I put into it. Feministe's post netted most of my hits and took me 2 seconds. Most of the forum hits are just from my signature or a small post I made about my blog.

Most of the comments, though, did not come from feministe, which I also think is interesting.

I love looking at stats.

You have a really good variety of sources here that should set you in good stead further down the line

And agreed, interesting your biggest traffic doesnt provide the most comments. Hmmmm

thekingsguard

Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com
Thanks, yeah I'm overall pleased with the first month and think it can help it grow over time.

How long did it take before you started to see significant rises? It looks like you've nearly doubled your views in the last year. that's really good :)

Of course! They always do! The trick is to get them to grow faster hahaha

Thanks! I'm trying to get it to grow even further still!

kiwiviktor81

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig
Registered
Reaction score
Man, am I addicted to stats. It's nice that there's another stats junkie here. My blog has been going for six months and I almost hit 2,000 visits in November. Started seeing significant rises when I had about 30 posts, but I get a lot of return visitors because I have some good linkbait. Updating frequently enough so that people start coming back for more is crucial, I found.

I want to get it up to 10,000/month by the end of 2012, because I have ebooks to sell and I realised that the main difference between self-publishing and going through a publishing company is the power of your marketing machine.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Man, am I addicted to stats. It's nice that there's another stats junkie here. My blog has been going for six months and I almost hit 2,000 visits in November. Started seeing significant rises when I had about 30 posts, but I get a lot of return visitors because I have some good linkbait. Updating frequently enough so that people start coming back for more is crucial, I found.

I want to get it up to 10,000/month by the end of 2012, because I have ebooks to sell and I realised that the main difference between self-publishing and going through a publishing company is the power of your marketing machine.

Wow, 10,000 a month would be amazing. It's my aim too, but by the end of 2012 maybe too soon. Who knows though, with effort it become reality.

and yes frequent and good content seems the key. without this then any stats are just meaningless

kiwiviktor81

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, 10,000 a month would be amazing.

10,000 is kind of a magic number for me because that's the point at which my other blogs have become self-sustaining, by which I mean they make enough so that I can pay people to write two or three articles a week. This is assuming I make a cent per visitor and pay about $10 an article.

Who knows how long it will take to get there. It depends on your traffic generation strategy and whether or not people come back to the site or recommend it to their friends. Obviously the higher quality content the more likely this is to happen.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick update. It passed 1,000 views and took 41 days. It passed earlier today so rather pleased with that :)