Sample queries query

tricon7

Adventure writer
Registered
Reaction score
I know there has to be a link here somewhere of some sample queries when submitting to an agent, but after looking and doing a search I can't seem to find one. Could someone suggest one for me?

I recently read of an agent's submission requirements, and he wanted (among other things) a 100-page synopsis, 200-page synopsis, and 300-page synopsis! I think I did the 100, but I skipped the other two. I never heard back, so I guess I violated his guidelines. :>(( I hope I don't run into many agents with such a tedious request.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
There is a forum here called Query Letter Hell. You can post your own (when you've posted 50 messages on AW), read other people's queries, comment on other queries or, as a sticky at the top of the forum there is a 'successful query' thread.

You need a password to get in, but the password is in the forum label.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I can't link you directly to it because it's passworded.

The second to bottom grouping of forums on the main forum page is "AW Writing Lab" The first entry in that list is "Share Your Work" Within that is a series of sub-forums for genres and one for queries.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I'd give you my query, but although it was successful in the end, I don't think it really was a very good query letter.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a whole thread here, displaying members' queries that got them representation or book deals.

And an interesting site here, displaying successful queries of YA authors.

Hope that helps.

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
I know there has to be a link here somewhere of some sample queries when submitting to an agent, but after looking and doing a search I can't seem to find one. Could someone suggest one for me?

I recently read of an agent's submission requirements, and he wanted (among other things) a 100-page synopsis, 200-page synopsis, and 300-page synopsis! I think I did the 100, but I skipped the other two. I never heard back, so I guess I violated his guidelines. :>(( I hope I don't run into many agents with such a tedious request.

I think you may have gotten some crossed wires somewhere. No agent is going to want three different synopses, and those numbers are outrageous! People I've submitted to have asked for 1 or 2 page synopses. I can't speak from personal experience, but I know some people submit ones that are 20 pages or so, but 100, 200 or 300 words! This can't possibly be right. 300 pages is an entire book in some cases.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

:eek: Like Chiquita, I have a hard time believing any agent wants such long synopses. Can you link us?

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read of an agent's submission requirements, and he wanted (among other things) a 100-page synopsis, 200-page synopsis, and 300-page synopsis!

Who is the agent, if you don't mind me asking. Because that sounds incredibly bizarre.

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com

I find that hard to believe. A 100 page synopsis is ridiculous. A 300 page synopsis is called a novel.