PDA

View Full Version : Woman coughs up her own tumor

Zoombie
01-12-2012, 07:07 AM
http://jezebel.com/5875255/oh-my-fucking-god-this-woman-coughed-up-her-own-tumor

Turns out, she'd expectorated some metastatic adenocarcinoma, which is doctor language for "she spat up an aggressive, deadly cancer that probably originated at the back of her mouth." They told her she'd need chemotherapy and gave her 50% odds of surviving, but when they scanned her for remaining cancer cells, there were none to be found. She literally hacked up her fucking cancer oh my god.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Michael Wolfe
01-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Zoombie, within four minutes, you've posted two threads with the grossest imagery of any thread I've seen on this forum.

Do you get some sort of award for that? :D

Opty
01-12-2012, 07:18 AM
:Jaw:

Kaiser-Kun
01-12-2012, 07:21 AM
*deep breath* A cat spitting a hairball. A cat spitting a hairball. *deep breath*

Makeshift Bubbles
01-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Pics or it didn't happen.

... Wait, never mind. I don't really mean that.

Monkey
01-12-2012, 07:46 AM
...pretty cool, actually...

LOG
01-12-2012, 07:47 AM
I hope she can live for the rest of her days without revisiting the nightmare-haunting image of a hacked up bit of cancer.Nightmare? It's a dream come true.

thethinker42
01-12-2012, 07:54 AM
I now have visions of the following conversation unfolding somewhere in the world:

Doctor: Well, it's throat cancer.
Patient: Oh no!
Doctor: With chemo, radiation, and surgery, your prognosis is fairly promising.
Patient: Thank God for that.
Doctor: Unfortunately, your HMO only allows for this new treatment that's just hit the market.
Patient: And that is...?
Doctor: Coughing really, really hard.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Holy crap, did she have pneumonia? Who coughs that hard?

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-12-2012, 08:19 AM
I now have visions of the following conversation unfolding somewhere in the world:

Doctor: Well, it's throat cancer.
Patient: Oh no!
Doctor: With chemo, radiation, and surgery, your prognosis is fairly promising.
Patient: Thank God for that.
Doctor: Unfortunately, your HMO only allows for this new treatment that's just hit the market.
Patient: And that is...?
Doctor: Coughing really, really hard.

I'm thinking USA. Call me jaded.

crunchyblanket
01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
That's pretty awesome. Screw you, cancer.

Manuel Royal
01-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Holy crap, did she have pneumonia? Who coughs that hard?Well, a tumor that big, and loose enough to be expelled like that, must have been pretty irritating.

I'm glad it didn't take part of a major blood vessel with it. The chemo will be rough; hope she makes it.

William Haskins
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
not bad... but get back to me when she coughs up someone else's tumor...

crunchyblanket
01-12-2012, 05:21 PM
not bad... but get back to me when she coughs up someone else's tumor...

well, you can't dust for tumours, can you?

MattW
01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
If she had choked to death on that tumor, what would have been the cause of death?

William Haskins
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
well, you can't dust for tumours, can you?

me, in particular, or just anyone?

because i can.

crunchyblanket
01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
me, in particular, or just anyone?

because i can.

/failed Spinal Tap reference

Mind you, I'd be interested in a tumour-dusting kit. It'd make my lab work easier.

icerose
01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I have a really hard time believing this story.

1. No remaining cancer tissue at all? It was it's own little glob with no anchor cells?
2. No blood supply. Cancer is a resource hog because it grows so fast. She wouldn't just cough up tissue, it'd be bleeding like crazy.
3. Most cancer grows embedded in the tissue and takes over existing space rather than growing in its own little bubble outside of the rest.

Now, stranger things have happened, but consider me a skeptic.

crunchyblanket
01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I have a really hard time believing this story.

1. No remaining cancer tissue at all? It was it's own little glob with no anchor cells?
2. No blood supply. Cancer is a resource hog because it grows so fast. She wouldn't just cough up tissue, it'd be bleeding like crazy.
3. Most cancer grows embedded in the tissue and takes over existing space rather than growing in its own little bubble outside of the rest.

Now, stranger things have happened, but consider me a skeptic.

It does sound odd. I've heard of patients coughing up lung tissue as a symptom of lung cancer - it's not common but it happens. Or it could be a solid mass of sputum. Cancer is usually connected to existing tissue and there'd more than likely be cancerous cells in the surrounding area.

William Haskins
01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
/failed Spinal Tap reference

i got the reference, sorry.

would have been more at home in the "choking on one's own vomit" thread, though. yes?

crunchyblanket
01-12-2012, 05:38 PM
i got the reference, sorry.

would have been more at home in the "choking on one's own vomit" thread, though. yes?

Already done it ;)

Diana_Rajchel
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm wishing I could find a .gif of Quinn Morgendorffer doing "Ew! Gross!"

icerose
01-12-2012, 05:59 PM
It does sound odd. I've heard of patients coughing up lung tissue as a symptom of lung cancer - it's not common but it happens. Or it could be a solid mass of sputum. Cancer is usually connected to existing tissue and there'd more than likely be cancerous cells in the surrounding area.

Add to it the "heart shape" cancer piece. The first thought that popped in my head was that cancer must have hired a PR agent for that one.

shaldna
01-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I read this yesterday. An incredibly lucky lady.

Kaiser-Kun
01-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Did she spit it into a pot in the corner and made a "ding!" sound?

GeorgeK
01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Another thing wrong with the story would involve the technical aspects of of doing a microscopic exam on the tissue. Cancers are not healthy tissue and start to rot quickly when devascularized so it's unlikely that they could have placed it into fixative early enough for the biopsy to yield information as specific as adenocarcinoma.

Also they said it was metastatic which means there are other sites. This sounds like a made up story by someone who tried tossing in some terminolgy in an attempt to lend credibility.

Peduculated tumors can sometimes avulse, so theoretically someone could cough one out, but I bet what she was coughing up was a chunk of yesterday's hot dog that she inhaled.

Snowstorm
01-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Did she spit it into a pot in the corner and made a "ding!" sound?

Augh! *runs to rinse out mouth with Listerine*

:roll:

Plot Device
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I am willing to believe this story.

I believe there are some people whose bodies are capable of rallying with an astonishing level of intense multi-systemic cooperation against a f-cking tumor. Not everyone (in my laymen's hypothesis) is so blessed to have that kind of defense sytem, and such people are probably rarer than rare. But I still believe such people exist.

Gale Haut
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
This is unbelievable enough that I want to believe it.

crunchyblanket
01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I am willing to believe this story.

I believe there are some people whose bodies are capable of rallying with an astonishing level of intense multi-systemic cooperation against a f-cking tumor. Not everyone (in my laymen's hypothesis) is so blessed to have that kind of defense sytem, and such people are probably rarer than rare. But I still believe such people exist.

I don't think it's impossible, but the details in the story make it sound pretty unlikely. As GeorgeK pointed out, 'metastatic' means the cancer has infiltrated other sites, so she wouldn't be cancer-free just from hacking up a single tumour.