Finding a Niche

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have a blog, but most of my blogs focus is on 'gee, what's on Anjasa's mind today?' I write about games and media, a lot, especially in regards to diversity or the lack of diversity in games. How to improve media, and how to give credit when credit is due for when a developer does something good but not great. I also write about societal reflections in media and how it affects us.

I enjoy looking at things and pulling it apart and analyzing why it works for me or why it doesn't. I've posted about roleplaying and writing, character creation, sexism in games, etc., and I enjoy it.

But it just feels as if I'm too wide spread, and have too diverse interests to really gain a lot of a following. The other side, though, is I can't just focus on one thing. I can't just talk about sexism in the media, or the lack of diversity in games, or whatever. I just end up feeling like I'm repeating myself and just as though I'm terribly boring.

I don't mind that this isn't entirely relevant to my writing (though most of the reflections I have on media, I try to be mindful of when writing and my characters often reflect this) but I'm just wondering what you guys might suggest, or how defined you think the bloggers niche should be.

Do you only read blogs that post about specific topics? I tend to read some that are rather focussed like Feministing and what not, but I also read blogs on a diverse range of topics.

What do you guys think?

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends what you're hoping to get from it overall. You need to decide why you're blogging and what you would like to get out of it. If you do this then you can take it a step further and understand who you are hoping to reach, and then create content for them.

For example my blog is centred around marketing, because that's what i do. But as someone who's creating an author platform the majority of my posts are aimed at aspiring authors and how to use marketing to suit them. This doesn't mean i don't post about general marketing things (i just did one today in fact) but it all links in to my general style (at least i hope it does :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with posting about a few different things. Too many would be bad (like a dozen posts all about different stuff) but as long as your writing about something with a purpose then why not? Maybe have Wednesday be a game review day, friday a recap of all the political things you came across in the week, etc

Decide what you want from your blog though and react accordingly. If that means not posting about certain things then so be it. If it helps get to your objectives then it will be worth it

Hope this helps anyway :) I too am trying to find my feet in the blogging world.

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts <3 I mean, most of the topics do tie in together, as they're mostly focused on how people interact, and sociological thoughts about media, for the vast majority of the posts.

As for what I hope to get out of it, I'm not looking for anything serious. I'd love to get some people who enjoy reading them and talking about them with me. Mostly I just want to engage with people and meet others with similar views.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Then i think you're doing just fine then. Keep things relevant, discuss things you love and know about, and engage all over the place (here, other blogs etc). You do that and you can't go wrong :)

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

The Seanchai

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeofaraven.wordpress.com
I notice that I tend to follow blogs that either appeal to me spiritually or are writing based. And usually those blogs specialize in one or the other, sometimes both! But they are pretty much focused on one thing.

Having said that, I find I've been wondering what I want out of my blog lately as well. I don't like pigeonholing myself into posting about only one topic, for the same reason you mentioned (feel like I get redundant and/or boring), plus I want to give a broader view of myself rather than just me "the writer" or the spiritual side of me. But yet I do like the idea of having a central focus. I guess I'm kind of where you are :p

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I agree with both of the previous posters.

I think you should post whatever you feel passionate about. It is that passion that keeps you going even when you don't have the following that you would like...at least that is how it is for me. My following is not as big as I would like (shhhh!!! don't tell my followers!) but those that I do have really seem to appreciate what I write. I do have one theme that I write about mostly (healing from child abuse) but I write about whatever I want...a couple times I have written about chess. I'm by no means an expert on chess either!

I actually prefer blogs that "change things up" now and then. Even blogs with a theme, for example, there was a blog that posted psychology stuff, and her dog had puppies, so she posted pics of the puppies. It was fun, until she kept going on and on about it and seemed to forget the orginial purpose for her blog, sigh! So you can over do it I guess.

Anyway, follow your passion that is what will make your writing most interesting to others I think.