Photos of publicly displayed art: copyright?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For a travel memoir I'm playing with, I have some pictures of publicly displayed art (it's in a sculpture park with no prohibitions on photography) that I'd like to use. I took the photos, so they're mine, but would I need the permission of the artist to include the photos in a manuscript?

People do it in blogs all the time, so I imagine I wouldn't need permission but I was curious about how that's handled.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Don't assume because blogs do it it's legal.

I believe your own photographs of artworks old enough to be out of copyright may be used as illustrations. IANAL, however.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer either, but I'm pretty sure that all rights to display the art in photographic form belong to whoever owns the art.

I know there have been many take-down notices from major museums sent to those who were collecting images of a certain artist or a certain art style or period. (At one time I hoped to amass enough Rembrandt images for a screen saver, but site after site had empty spaces where images had one been shown, with wording stating that it had been removed at the demand of the rights holder. Same thing happened with another artist.)

Blogs which don't make a profit might warrant a blind eye, but selling a book with such photographs probably merits asking an attorney, even thought that won't be free.

Maryn, thinking safe beats the hell out of sorry

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm not a lawyer either, but I'm pretty sure that all rights to display the art in photographic form belong to whoever owns the art.

This is not true. Owning art never confers ownership of copyright. As long as copyright lasts, the artist owns the copyright. It would be best to write the artists in that case and ask permission to show photos.

I should have said earlier that only if the art is out of copyright may you show your own photos of it.

I know there have been many take-down notices from major museums sent to those who were collecting images of a certain artist or a certain art style or period. (At one time I hoped to amass enough Rembrandt images for a screen saver, but site after site had empty spaces where images had one been shown, with wording stating that it had been removed at the demand of the rights holder. Same thing happened with another artist.)

Museums own the copyrights to their own photos of their artworks, but they do not own the copyrights to the artworks themselves.

Many museums try to restrict photographic access to their collections so as to retain a monopoly on the images and an ability to make money off them in perpetuity. I suspect a number of the museums sending take-down notices do not allow outside photographers, so they know the photos involved are their copyrighted images.

If a museum allows photography, you own all copyrights to all photos you take there, as long as the artworks you photograph are no longer in copyright.

Blogs which don't make a profit might warrant a blind eye, but selling a book with such photographs probably merits asking an attorney, even thought that won't be free.

Maryn, thinking safe beats the hell out of sorry

Safe is certainly better than sorry. Best to get educated about copyright law.

Here's the University of New Hampshire School of Law's information page on copyright in the visual arts.

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Museums own the copyrights to their own photos of their artworks, but they do not own the copyrights to the artworks themselves.

Speaking of US law, neither of these statements is necessarily true.Copyright law is a highly specialized area of practice, and a lot rides on the specific facts of the situation. This is one area where professional advice is worth taking.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few interpretations on what the law is in these kinds of situations.

In Gaylord .v. US Postal Service a photograph of a sculpture was deemed to be fair use.

A later lawsuit over a similar issue (Mackie v. Hipple) ended up being resolved in mediation.

You mentioned it being a travel memoir. It is worth remembering that the US Law is a bit different to most other countries.

In Australia, Section 65 specifically permits the kind of photography you are talking about - it is 100% clear that it isn't a copyright infringement.

In Canada Section 32.2(1) of the Canada Copyright Act states that it is NOT an infringement of copyright for a person to reproduce in photo or film a building or 'a sculpture or work of artistic craftsmanship that is permanently situated in a public place or building'.

However the US equivalent leaves out the sculpture references - it only applies to buildings.

Obviously I'm not a lawyer - this is just my understanding as a layperson.

Mac
(PS: Rogers .v. Koons is an amusing reversal - and a pretty pathetic attempt to claim a 'parody' exception)

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
In Australia, Section 65 specifically permits the kind of photography you are talking about - it is 100% clear that it isn't a copyright infringement.
Section 65 exempts photographing art in places open to the public, or broadcasting or making a film in an area open to the public that contains images of the art, from claims of copyright infringement. It says nothing at all about taking and then selling a still photograph, or including it in a publication.
The law is a complicated beast, best not to attempt self-help in this area, seriously.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
It says nothing at all about taking and then selling a still photograph, or including it in a publication.
Agreed about the law being a complicated beast. But it really does cover taking and selling a still photo in this specific scenario.

Yes - it only covers the area of copyright infringement .. you could still fall afoul of other areas .. eg - if you tried to pass off your photo as being an official authorised photo there could be a passing off claim. But it really does cover the basic issue we are talking about here.

Yes - obviously get real professional advice from someone else. But I'm still going to pass on the professional advice I've worked with in the past. (A bit of background - I was one of the non-lawyers invited to give feedback on the proposed changes to the Australian Copyright Act - specifically about the issues with getting clearances for derivative works. So I've certainly sat around a big conference table with those who are responsible for the Australian Copyright Act and had these kinds of discussions with them. Mind you - what lawyers decide to interpret later may be a very different story!)

Good luck,

Mac

Last edited: