Fixing an Oops?

Emberchyld

Hanging out in Medieval Castles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
isabelbandeira.blogspot.com
After hitting send (and multiple re-reads and double checks of the query that I WAS sending), I realized that I had made a spelling error on a name in my query.

--Not the agent's name, THANK GOODNESS, but I had referenced one of her authors and how fans of that author may enjoy my story (and, even more embarassingly, I'm a HUGE fan of the author, which is why this is even more painful to admit.) I guess my eyes glossed over familiar words and spell check wouldn't catch the error-- whatever the reason, I messed up.

Do I write a quick e-mail to apologize for the misspelling, or do I just do what I have been doing (and hope wonderagent doesn't penalize me for my oops?) In my non-writing profession, I normally would have followed up with an apologetic e-mail, but I'm new to the querying process and don't know the rules.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It happens all the time. Agents accept queries with their name spelled wrong, with a Mr instead of a Ms, with another agent's name in the header. They know you're human and mistakes happen. Those little mistakes might hurt slightly, but they're mostly looking at the body of the query and the attached materials for their decision.

Emberchyld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, thank you! It's even more embarassing because I chose to query this agent in part due to how much this one author praises her... and then, I misspell the author's name. *facepalm*

Feeling more relieved now...

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think there is just a universal law or something. The moment you hit 'Send', even after reading, checking, and triple checking a query, you'll notice something wrong.

After sending out my first batch last week, I noticed that there was something funky in the email on a different browser. It changed font twice from the query letter to the manuscript. On my regular browser, it looked fine. I know it is because of the sheer number of writes, rewrites, copying, pasting, etc on the manuscript, but now I need to try to sort out how to clean it up, when on my screen, it looks absolutely perfect.

I try to think that if the query interests an agent, they will overlook something like this. But as a professional, this sort of mistake really, really gets to me.

Same thing with your spelling, I'd just leave it, but I can sympathize about how annoying it is. ;)

ryannj5

Registered
Reaction score
I actually did the exact same thing once. I queried an agent who repped an author I adore, and I. Spelled. The. Authors. Name. Wrong. It was a horrid feeling, but I tried to let it go. A few days later I got a full request. It ultimately went on to become a rejection, but no, the agent didn't hold the mis-spelling against me. If they like your query and premise, then you'll probably get a request.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. I misspelled Sean Ferrell's name in a press release once. To this day I doublecheck that spelling.

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
I spelt my own name wrong in a query the other day, if that makes you feel any better. Not my greatest moment.

Reaction score
Not regarding an agent, but an editor. I queried a manuscript with a spelling error in the query email.

She bought the book.

Emberchyld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just a little bit late in writing thanks, but all of your comments and stories have made me feel so much better about my oops. (Of course, now I triple-check all names!) Querying is scary enough without mistakes.

Sending a BIG hug to the AW community.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I think we all live in fear of this. I got a rejection once for someone else's book. Everyone makes mistakes.