How to Query Agent from Overseas

Vemy Paw

Registered
Reaction score
Please forgive me if my questions are frequently asked, but I have searched the forum and found no answer, maybe because I can't find the right key word :)

Since now many agents accept email query, it's easier to query an agent from overseas. If I do that, do I have to mention to the agent that I live overseas? Or that I don't have the same citizenship as the agent? Or is doing this a big no-no (querying agent from another country)?

And then, if it's doable and the agent accepts the query, what happen? (I mean about communications, payment, tax, etc)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Loads of writers have agents in a different country.

In the query say something like "I am a xxxx-based writer"

Communication with your agent is almost all by e-mail so it doesn't matter how far away you are.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Canada and queried agents in Germany. All communication was by email, even though a couple of the agents I queried stated on their websites that they only accepted manuscripts by mail. I signed my initial pitch with my full mailing address and phone number, so it was immediately obvious where I live.

When I got an offer, we talked on the phone and then they emailed me the contract, which I printed out, signed, scanned and emailed back to them. Since then, we've been communicating via email.
In case they find a publisher *sigh*, I could use a German bankaccount if I had one, or else they'll transfer the money to my Canadian account.
As far as taxes go, you'll probably have to figure that one out yourself. If your agency rep's somebody else in your country, they may already know what the rules are. Otherwise you get to talk to the tax people - always such fun ;)

Good luck!

Bron

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about mentioning where you're from in the body of the query. A lot of agents ask that you include your postal address in your contact details, even if you are querying via email, so I just list my postal address, including the country, and they can find out that way. It doesn't seem to be a big deal for most agents.

I'm not sure what happens re: tax but that's something to worry about later. I think I remember Kristin Nelson once saying something about non-US authors can fill out a form so they aren't charged tax on their earnings from the US, otherwise you'd be taxed twice. But yes, that's a worry for down the track.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happens re: tax but that's something to worry about later. I think I remember Kristin Nelson once saying something about non-US authors can fill out a form so they aren't charged tax on their earnings from the US, otherwise you'd be taxed twice. But yes, that's a worry for down the track.

Correct
Here is a recent thread discussing how to get that form completed:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202216

Vemy Paw

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! It's always nice to know what to expect beforehand :)
The link to the thread is very helpful, lol, very graphic! Thanks waylander!

I also have another question about querying an agent, if you all don't mind. I read somewhere that a fantasy manuscript has to be accepted by publisher before the author look for an agent, is that true?

I'll dig about to find the link where I read it...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that a fantasy manuscript has to be accepted by publisher before the author look for an agent, is that true?

Absolutely untrue
Most major fantasy publishers (Tor and Baen being the major exceptions) will not consider manuscripts from unagented writers so an agent is essential.

Last edited:

kidcharlemagne

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about mentioning where you're from in the body of the query. A lot of agents ask that you include your postal address in your contact details, even if you are querying via email, so I just list my postal address, including the country, and they can find out that way. It doesn't seem to be a big deal for most agents.

Ditto.