Okay Blogger coaches.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Now picture your great great nana in a nursing home asked you how to turn on the computer. "First Nana, you have to plug it in...yes, dear, that's the cord..."

Okay, now you are in the mindset of how to help me. I am ADHD, but mostly mean well.

My wife created a Blog Page, and now I want to do something with it. Something specific. Something way over my head. It's at Blogger.com.

1) Here's what I want to do, can I do it? I've been doing some artistic things, using photos with poetry and bits of my story. Can I use one of these photos as my opening page? This would be the first thing people would see, and they can enter for more.

2) I've got various artistic photos with poetry on them. I'm not sure how best to display them? Like in a sheet you click on to enlarge? (I don't even know how to do this. How to tips needed, and I also wonder how much memory I have to work with?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I can't help with the ultra-techie stuff, sorry. I'm new at this too. But there is no "opening page" per se with Blogger. Posts run vertically down the page, with the newest bumping the previous one(s) down.

What you're describing sounds like what I saw at Paint's blog. It was very nifty visually and perhaps he'll (she'll?) chime in with some tips. In the meantime, I suggest you check out a couple of blogs, including Paint's and see what folks are able to do with them.

Welcome to the blogosphere.

Kate Nepveu

Vacuumer of Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steelypips.org
First question: does the URL (address, the thing you type into the browser or tell people "read my blog at") have "blogspot" in it?

If so, then no, you can't do a front page like you're talking about. (But ask yourself: why do you want one? Personally I find them annoying. If I'm at your web site, I want to find information, and I don't want to have to click through pictures to get it.) If you're not at Blogspot, I can give more details on what you want to do.

You can post photos to Blogger; see here: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=324&topic=17

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
Why Thank You Eraser! This is how I do the picture thing. The pictures are my photos in my computer. First I log into www.blogspot.com that puts me to the 'dashboard' I am now ready to make a new post. After that space comes up, (so I can write in the post) up in the corner is the little picture that says 'insert photo.' Click on that and it will let you decide if you want the photo left, right or center. Then you upload the photo. Type your poem in and viola! I like the black background too, it looks nice with my type of photos.
Some bloggers have pictures, like avatars, with their area 'about me.' The same picture comes up each time.
To try and answer Kate, I am with blogspot, so I always have it in the address. I don't think you do that with all blogs.

Paint

Deleted member 42

Nate

Stop.

Spend some time looking at Blogs first. Look at a lot of them.

I'm not sure you're clear on the distinction between a blog and a static page.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Kate Nepveu said:
First question: does the URL (address, the thing you type into the browser or tell people "read my blog at") have "blogspot" in it?

If so, then no, you can't do a front page like you're talking about. (But ask yourself: why do you want one? Personally I find them annoying. If I'm at your web site, I want to find information, and I don't want to have to click through pictures to get it.) If you're not at Blogspot, I can give more details on what you want to do.

You can post photos to Blogger; see here: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=324&topic=17

It's an artistic vision. It's a riviting picture meant to create a, "Woe, I got to see what's in here!" impact for fantasy lovers. Honestly, when I can get it just right, it's akin to some of Peter Jackson's promotional photos for LOTR.

I went through great lengths to portray a Seer standing guard, floating just above the waters edge, staff in hand. It required putting together the costume, a three hour photo shoot at three sites, and massive editing. There's narration, and in the second pic, the staff end flames as danger approaches. I need to do a bit more editing with a higher resolution computer. But eventually there will be poetry, art, music, inspirational snippets, links...etc. Which all leads to a second question I'll post separately.

I have grand plans far above my head.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Nate

Stop.

Spend some time looking at Blogs first. Look at a lot of them.

I'm not sure you're clear on the distinction between a blog and a static page.

I'm actually gathering information. I know exactly what I want to do. What I don't know is how to get there? Ultimately this means I may have to change to fit the vision, and that's why I'm trying to learn what is and isn't possible.

I've looked at Blogs, but I've seen variations. I'm not quite sure, but it seems there are levels obtainable, but maybe not through Blogger.com...etc.

Kate Nepveu

Vacuumer of Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steelypips.org
Nateskate said:
It's an artistic vision. It's a riviting picture meant to create a, "Woe, I got to see what's in here!" impact for fantasy lovers. Honestly, when I can get it just right, it's akin to some of Peter Jackson's promotional photos for LOTR.

But they've already shown up at your site for some reason--why not put the picture in, say, the header at the top of your site?

Also, if there's going to be *sound* (you mentioned "narration"), you very definitely do not want that to be the first thing that shows up for a reader. Usually I have sound off, but if I happened to have it on and a site starts talking/playing music without my having clicked on a link that says "please play music/give me narration"--I'm hitting the back button faster than you can blink.

Now: 1) I don't think you answered my question about Blogspot.

2) Why do you want a *blog*? The usefulness of a blog is that it can be regularly and easily updated with discrete posts. It sounds like you want a general website about your work, with perhaps a blog *component* for updates and news.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Kate Nepveu said:
But they've already shown up at your site for some reason--why not put the picture in, say, the header at the top of your site?

Also, if there's going to be *sound* (you mentioned "narration"), you very definitely do not want that to be the first thing that shows up for a reader. Usually I have sound off, but if I happened to have it on and a site starts talking/playing music without my having clicked on a link that says "please play music/give me narration"--I'm hitting the back button faster than you can blink.

Now: 1) I don't think you answered my question about Blogspot.

2) Why do you want a *blog*? The usefulness of a blog is that it can be regularly and easily updated with discrete posts. It sounds like you want a general website about your work, with perhaps a blog *component* for updates and news.

I have pictures on my blog? I haven't put anything on my blog...not text or pictures. My pictures aren't fully edited.

In answer to question two, perhaps in the end I should have both?