Question: Earning from Blogs

schttrj

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think it still works? Can you really make an income from your blog? More and more bloggers are going into the paid membership model. Traffic, money and income...what's your take on it?

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com
Can it work? Sure. Should you quit you day job as soon as you set up the subscription process? I wouldn't.

It all comes down to content. If your content isn't bringing hundreds -- if not thousands -- of hits per day, I wouldn't expect it to bring in any subscription money either.

schttrj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and almost 90% bloggers fail in establishing THE ONE they dream about..by the way, I added you in twitter. My twitter name Copy-e-writer Ron

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I can't think of many subscription blogs that do all that well. A few erotica or get-rich-quick ones. I'd agree that unless you have thousands of uniques a day, it's unlikely to add up to much. All my (20+) blogs put together make about $1000 a year, which on an hourly basis would be not very much at all.

schttrj

Registered
Reaction score
That's my point. Blogs don't create money. Popularity creates money.

tim290280

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thetysonadams.blogspot.com
I actually moved away from ads on my blog because I looked at the number of ads and how much they detracted from my blog, worked out the click-thru rate. Basically it wasn't worth the hassle for me. Even at 1000s of hits a week it was still not doing much more than a few dollars.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
To put it into context, we get around about 2,000 visitors a month, which sounds like a lot. We have ads that pay us for amount of visitors, not amount of clicks (we're part of a couple of blogging networks).

We'll STILL be lucky to make the cost of hosting back.

If you're like Hyperbole and a Half and you get tens of thousands of views a day you can probably rely on it to bring in some decent money. Otherwise, consider it a success if you make enough to buy a chocolate bar.

Filmfeline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I can't think of many subscription blogs that do all that well. A few erotica or get-rich-quick ones. I'd agree that unless you have thousands of uniques a day, it's unlikely to add up to much. All my (20+) blogs put together make about $1000 a year, which on an hourly basis would be not very much at all.

Once in a while I'd contribute to my friend's blog, which I believe makes over ten grand or so a month, but that took her four years to get going. She deserves it too, trust me, the girl lives online and she's a fab girl. I think Perez still makes the huge buckaroos. I had a blog, I don't have one now. I'm thinking about the right thing to blog about.

kiwiviktor81

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig
Registered
Reaction score
You've gotta get some kind of sales funnel going. If you like you can start with AdSense, which might pays you $2.50 per 1,000 page views, and when your site gets bigger add a Premium Membership section for $9.95 a year which includes access to, say, a critique group where you critique any short story sent in within a month, some free ebooks about the craft of writing, etc.

And make you can capture a list of subscribers so that when you put out a new produect you can offer it to all of them at once.