vBulletin Blogs

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

Currently I have a vBulletin blog that I update a couple of times a month, just talking about society and media and how they intersect and what not. It's simply a passtime that I do for fun when I have something to say.

But, because it's on vBulletin, it lacks a lot of the functionality that other blogs have, specifically in regards to commenting and promotion. I think people are less interested in reading and responding except for my friends who are already on the forums (which is awesome in and of itself!) but I want to reach out to other readers as well.

Is it a good idea to perhaps start up a wordpress and cross post the blogs there? Is this a no-no?

vBulletin's CMS suite thing has a lot of options, but they're just not as useful as I had hoped for the price. The blog, for instance, lacks the ability to have 'share it' links, and doesn't allow guests to respond without signing up for an account. It's also less likely to get picked up by technorati or other blogging sites because of the integration. Since it's also not seperate from, say, other people's blog posts, it's a lot more difficult to remember the url.

Does anyone else have a vBulletin blog? Are there any mods or options out there to improve it?

Really hoping this is the appropriate place, and I am so sorry if it's not!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Cross posting will make the content duplicate which is maybe not the best idea for Google ranking. Why not just move to the platform you like best and forwarded previous followers to it? Painful in the short term, but better in the long term IMHO--especially if you get a domain name at the same time to make any future transitions seamless.

Anjasa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. If I do it, I'll get my own domain and what not, and since most of my readers are friends, it's not such a big deal.

Deleted member 42

vBulletin's CMS suite thing has a lot of options, but they're just not as useful as I had hoped for the price. The blog, for instance, lacks the ability to have 'share it' links, and doesn't allow guests to respond without signing up for an account. It's also less likely to get picked up by technorati or other blogging sites because of the integration. Since it's also not seperate from, say, other people's blog posts, it's a lot more difficult to remember the url.

Does anyone else have a vBulletin blog? Are there any mods or options out there to improve it?

I'm one of the AW admins, and I've installed the vBulletin 4.x CMS on our test site to look at it.

I'm underwhelmed with the CMS and Blogging portions in terms of AW and our members. We're going to be looking at it for a while, but so far, I'm not a fan.

You can tweak the PHP and Templates, but the PHP is gnarly. There are plug-ins, but a lot of them are pretty obvious security or other problems.

I do think you're better off with Blogger or WordPress or TypePad or MovableType and your own domain.

I can see the vBulletin CMS working for a magazine style site, but I'm not sure I wouldn't look to Drupal for that. vBulletin is pricey; the forums are worth the money, so far, not liking the CMS a whole lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjasa

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't get over how un-user friendly vBulletin was when I first installed it. Everything I do is way more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad it's not just me that finds it unwieldy.