Comprehensive website cost?

fasteddy8170

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I have a Blogcast website for podcasting only, 2 Facebook sites, an Amazon page, and a Smashwords page and I don't even have a website for my new book yet but it already feels like I'm too spread out. I have all these different locations and I have a hard time figuring out where to send people. So, I want to have someone build a comprehensive website, one that will contain: video podcasts and a blog, information on my book, a cart so I can sell my book on the website, all my info--bio, resume, etc., and a hub so visitors can get to the Amazon, Smashwords, Facebook, Shelfair, Goodreads, etc. sites as well. And it has to be simple enough that I can upload podcasts and blogs on my own.

First, is this crazy? Am I overthinking this? Second, how much would something like cost to build from scratch and maintain? I already have the domain names saved. Thanks.

FrederickCross

Registered
Reaction score
Very hard question to answer, actually. You said "from scratch", which in my mind includes custom design and coding, would probably set you back a few thousand bucks, depending on the professionalism of the designer.

Going the CMS route (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc...) is usually much cheaper and can be completely free. You usually pay only for a custom template, rarely more than a couple hundred dollars.

As for the cart, there are a few kind, self hosted and professionally hosted. The self hosted are either free or not and the professionally hosted usually have a limited free version and a paid (monthly) version.

Hope that will help you narrow down what you need ;)

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
I have my little site and it costs about $50-$70 a year for the name + hosting.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Like fasteddy says, a fully pro site made by a web designer will set you back a few grand. I have a few friends who do this, and a fairly basic site will be quoted at a few thousand, or on a continuous basis of 2-3,000 a year.

Saying that you can go your own way via wordpress, get a pro theme, learn some coding and it will cost you around £100 a year. or maybe an extra few hundred to get a pro to set it up for you, ready for you to maintain it. As for ecommerce things, i think you're looking at least £20-30 a month. although i'm sure you can get it free somewhere. you get what you pay for though

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)