Getting started with Freelancing?

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've looked at about 3-4 pages of threads in this section and haven't come across what I'm looking for. I think it's because I'm weird or my ideas are.

I want to write novels and have a few ideas floating around that I'll be starting soon. I completed NaNoWriMo last month and it only showed me that writing is something I really want to do.

However, I don't have much "experience" and I've gotten the impression that some experience would be good to have when I begin searching for an agent or publisher for my novels. Is this true?

I've wanted to write this article for a Parenting Magazine for a few months now, and will be working on that for the rest of this month. Would this be good to have in my writing portfolio? How hard is it to get an article published, if you're not a steady writer for the Magazine?

Please forgive me for any questions that don't make sense. I'm still learning and holding myself back from totally jumping in, as I know if I take the plunge before I'm educated, I could drown.

Thanks in Advance!

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
However, I don't have much "experience" and I've gotten the impression that some experience would be good to have when I begin searching for an agent or publisher for my novels. Is this true?

No, not really. While it doesn't hurt to have published some articles or short stories, it's your novel that has to convince an agent or publisher to sign you on. If your manuscript doesn't convince them, you can have all the articles or short stories you want and it won't help since that's not what the publisher will be selling.

So depending on what you actually want to achieve, you may be better off concentrating on whipping your novel into shape than trying to get a foot in the door with magazines. Getting a start in freelancing can be hard, as hard as finding an agent for your novel.
As to how hard it is to get articles published - same as with novels, it depends entirely on the quality of your writing, the idea you're pitching, and finding the right magazine for the right article at the right time.

Sorry if this sounds kind of wishy-washy :) But in my experience, that's what it's like.

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
No, not really. While it doesn't hurt to have published some articles or short stories, it's your novel that has to convince an agent or publisher to sign you on. If your manuscript doesn't convince them, you can have all the articles or short stories you want and it won't help since that's not what the publisher will be selling.

So depending on what you actually want to achieve, you may be better off concentrating on whipping your novel into shape than trying to get a foot in the door with magazines. Getting a start in freelancing can be hard, as hard as finding an agent for your novel.
As to how hard it is to get articles published - same as with novels, it depends entirely on the quality of your writing, the idea you're pitching, and finding the right magazine for the right article at the right time.

Sorry if this sounds kind of wishy-washy :) But in my experience, that's what it's like.

No worries, I appreciate the response. I think I will write the article anyway, and then post it in SYW (or should I just post the idea...not sure), and see what others think. This article is something I'm very passionate about and feel it needs to be put out there. I just hope other people agree.

I'll keep in mind your suggestions. I haven't written the article yet, though I plan to set aside time especially for it this weekend.

Thanks again for your feedback. :)

Hailey

Registered
Reaction score
"So, what do you do if you don’t have any experience in the field? Go get some! I would never tell a client I could do something without having done it myself. The vast majority of the time this was something that I did in my business or did for a friend pro bono. This gives you the added bonus of having real world case studies which I talk about later." -
Liam McIvor Martin

Your situation reminded me of that part of his article . and I hope it also makes sense to you. :)

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
"So, what do you do if you don’t have any experience in the field? Go get some! I would never tell a client I could do something without having done it myself. The vast majority of the time this was something that I did in my business or did for a friend pro bono. This gives you the added bonus of having real world case studies which I talk about later." -
Liam McIvor Martin

Your situation reminded me of that part of his article . and I hope it also makes sense to you. :)

Makes a lot of sense. I've written the article, had someone a couple people Beta it, and now I'm working on the next draft.

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Personally, I think it's useful to try to get something published first, whether it's a non-fiction article or two or a couple of short stories. I think doing that A) gets you into the "submitting" mindset, B) gives you great practice writing query letters when the stakes are not as high, and C) gives you a little something for your bio.

For writing and selling non-fiction, unless the Guidelines specifically tell you to send the whole article, you are much better off querying first *before* writing the article. Sometimes the mag will want your article with a different slant or angle than you envisioned, and you'll save yourself a lot of anguish and *rewriting*.

I hope this helps

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's useful to try to get something published first, whether it's a non-fiction article or two or a couple of short stories. I think doing that A) gets you into the "submitting" mindset, B) gives you great practice writing query letters when the stakes are not as high, and C) gives you a little something for your bio.

For writing and selling non-fiction, unless the Guidelines specifically tell you to send the whole article, you are much better off querying first *before* writing the article. Sometimes the mag will want your article with a different slant or angle than you envisioned, and you'll save yourself a lot of anguish and *rewriting*.

I hope this helps

It is VERY Helpful, thank you so much! Tonight I bought the magazine that I'll be trying to submit too, so I can fully research their "vibe".

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's useful to try to get something published first, whether it's a non-fiction article or two or a couple of short stories.

I wanted to write a novel but I was told to start with a few short stories to get the experience of completing a piece of writing as well as to test my writing ability. I did this and entered a couple of short story competitions. I got one 'commended' but all seven of my stories have been included in anthologies that have been published. I've also had articles published in newspapres (like the Melbourne Age) and paying websites. I believe that any writing that gets you some feedback and, eventually, acceptance is good for your self confidence as well as being something to include in your query to agents/publishers.

Best wishes for your writing