General freelance editing question on networking.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of trying out freelance editing, and a freelance editor I know IRL suggested that a good place to look for work is in places like Professionals Editor Network or the Editorial Freelancers Association.

I have had some experience editing--I've copyedited a collection of stories as part of a group which will be published later this year using CMS, and I've also edited a few Bus Manuals according to a company's internal style guide. I'm also familiar with MLA and AP.
Looking at some other threads around here I know that's not a guarantee of any sort, but would any other editors here agree that those sort of networking sites are a good place to try and look for work?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The EFA job list is only open to members of the organization, and I think the same is true about the job listings of the Minnesota-based Professional Editors Network and other similar locality-based editors' organizations.

Since you're starting out in freelance editing, I would suggest that sites like ELance.com might be an easier start, and wouldn't require an investment in membership fees.

Say more about the bus manual thing: was this technical writing about the actual vehicles, or was it more of a logistics document?

kimberlycreates

insert witty title here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlycreates.com
I'm not a fan of Elance or other sites like this. I'm listed there, but most of the time the bid goes to whoever is offering the cheapest rates. Great way to cut your teeth in the business if you're willing to work for low rates -- not a great way to earn a living full-time.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am a member of EFA, and on the board of governors as well. The job list is only open to members (its price is included in the dues), but my membership has paid for itself repeatedly now because one of my major clients found me through EFA. It may be a hefty initial investment, and it may not pay off immediately, but I'm not the only member whose dues have paid for themselves.

You might also want to look into local in-person networking opportunities. I belong to a local chapter of the Association for Women in Communications. The dues haven't paid for themselves in terms of client contracts, but the networking and learning opportunities have been priceless for me.

Granted, when you're just starting out, I understand the hesitancy to invest in membership dues up front. I didn't join EFA until many years after I'd been freelancing part-time.

I think the Freelancers Union is free to join, but it's not targeted specifically for editors. You may still find their resources helpful.

The International Freelancers Academy offers some free tips on freelancing, but they aren't targeted for editors either.

You could also get yourself on LinkedIn and network with other editorial freelancing professionals there as well.

Best of luck!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also suggest Kindleboards? They have a yellow pages section and I know editors are in high demand. Just a thought!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Elance or other sites like this. I'm listed there, but most of the time the bid goes to whoever is offering the cheapest rates. Great way to cut your teeth in the business if you're willing to work for low rates -- not a great way to earn a living full-time.

I agree 100,000,000 percent. An EFA membership is a fantastic investment that will pay for itself a million times over. (And thanks for your service on the board of governors--you are all awesome.)

I would just suggest that someone who has never done a freelance editing gig before might want to try a few before making that investment. It's not for everyone.

Though most of the good jobs I get are through referrals and through membership-based professional organizations, I have found decent short-term assignments through ELance in the past, and for that matter on Craigslist.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Say more about the bus manual thing: was this technical writing about the actual vehicles, or was it more of a logistics document?
I can't recall the titles, but they covered general Operations and Maintenance of the Bus (although it actually refers to the company's semi-trailer trucks and their freezer systems). I didn't write any of the content, I just edited afterwards. One of the company's dealers found a typo in it ("brake" was misspelled as "break") so it was decided to have the entire thing combed through for corrections.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't write any of the content, I just edited afterwards.

Having completed a couple of successful technical editing projects like that is a useful experience for sure.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also suggest Kindleboards? They have a yellow pages section and I know editors are in high demand. Just a thought!

Do you know how you get on that list of editors? I've never been on Kindleboards and I was having a hard time navigating it.