Subbing Without an Agent

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of dilemma and I was hoping for a bit of insight.

Some time ago, my agent subbed my first novel with a lot of editors; the feedback was positive, though no one wanted that book. They said it was too quiet. Every single editor, however, expressed interest in seeing my second project as soon as it was completed because they were all intrigued by the premise.

That novel was completed in August. My agent finally finished reading it in late October and suggested revisions. I completed revisions three weeks ago and sent it back to the agent. She still has not read the revision, despite the fact that editors were asking to see it as far back as April.

The feeling I'm getting from the agent is not good. When I push for a timeline, she says things like, "The longer an editor waits to see a finished product, the more eager they are to get it. It's not a bad thing to keep them waiting." I don't know if I believe that.

My question is this: If I end up parting ways with this agent, would it be acceptable to directly send the ms to the editors who expressed an interest in seeing it?

I don't want to step on any toes, I don't want to seem forward, but I'm tired of waiting for the agent who apparently has her hands full with other clients.

Last edited:

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I would say it's unprofessional and just plain rude to suggest it's not a bad thing to leave someone waiting to garner their interest.

As for if you should go ahead and submit, depends on your contract with your agent. Make sure you are free of the agent first. Breaching a contract won't be seen as professional conduct by an editor either. If you breach with your agent, what would make them believe you won't breach with them as soon as you are unhappy.

Tell your agent you are not happy to leave someone who has requested you work waiting and you wish to move ahead as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
You've got a good second mms, and editors who've actually requested to see it. Your agent risks losing one or more offers either because she's ill-informed, being lazy, or you're not high enough on her client list to merit the extra work.

She works for you. Remind her of that. It's not quite contract-breaking and agent-dumping time, but she does need to be less of a diva.

That said, 3 weeks during the holidays won't make much difference. If there is no movement by mid-February, you might consider finding a new agent.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Filigree.
Three weeks during the holidays is nothing. If your agent subbed it now, it might get lost in the post-holiday shuffle. If, however, the holidays end and still, nothing gets done, then I'd want to know why.
I would ask how your agent feels about the novel and its potential. Is she concerned that it's not up to par? She might have some very good reasons. If she's just putting it on the back-burner for no valid reason, then I would start looking for a new agent.

But I would not sub to editors who work only with agented writers on my own.

The bigger house have their reasons for their policies and they have established relationships, some personal, with many agents. You never know whose toes you're stepping on. One of those editors might just think the world of your agent and might refuse to read your manuscript because you have gone behind her back. They might, quite possibly, all feel that way.
Then where would you be?
If your first novel got such good feedback, then you clearly are a talented writer. The fact that you had an agent in the first place and that you now have another novel should help you greatly in getting a new agent.
I terminated with my agent this summer and he provided me with a list of publishers along with the names of the editors he subbed to. I promised him I would never contact those editors on my own and I won't.
First, because I made a promise.
Second, because these particular publishing house specifically state that they work only with agented authors.
Third, because I would burn a bridge with him and it wouldn't look good for me.

Mackenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I can speak from limited experience on this one. I, too, had an agent who sent my first book out to multiple editors. One in particular said the book wasn't quite right, but that she loved my voice--a sentiment she reiterated in a second email to my agent (apart from the rejection letter), saying she'd like to see my next book. I subsequently did a rewrite of the book, incorporating changes recommended by this and other publishers. My agent passed on the rewrite without reading it. We have since parted ways. I thought: what have I got to lose? So, I sent it to the editor who had responded so positively with a brief note explaining the circumstances.

Deafening silence I received in reply.

My advice: don't try it.

Nag your agent to get the book out there. That's about all you can do, IMHO. And don't be too quick to dump her. I still haven't been able to find an agent after querying the next three books. Still trying, though.

Last edited:

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, all. I'm so glad I posted the question and didn't go with my knee jerk reaction to just cut her loose. I'll probably wait until the holidays are over and hope she is ready to move on this sooner, rather than later. If she pushes me off one more time, I'll have to make some tough choices.

Thank you again - your help has been invaluable!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'm sailing in similar waters. My agent doesn't seem to "get" anything I write -- we have a three-book deal out on proposal (since June) that she never gets back to me on, she rarely updates me on who's said "no" this month. Today I e-mailed her asking for an update fon those houses who haven't rejected it yet, and her return e-mail said, "Start on something new."

That's all. No list of houses who'd said no, no "this one is still possible", nothing.

I'm discouraged, disappointed (it's been 2.5 years with this agent and she's never sold a single thing of mine), and seriously considering jettisoning this agent and subbing out this project on my own. I just don't know yet what I'm going to decide.

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
Deb, I think we must have the same agent. :)

I finally got feedback from my agent when I pushed after the holidays and, frankly, it blew my mind. It was truly off the wall. The agent essentially told me to rewrite the whole book, complete with the specific plot the agent wanted to see... The editorial letter started with the comment that I should start from scratch, in a new genre, on the same subject. This was after last year when I was told to switch the whole ms from third person to first person...which I did. ::hits head on wall::

Needless to say, I decided that enough was enough and cut ties. So now I am back at square zero, with SIX editors wanting to see the ms, and no agent.

Boy, this writing-thing sure is fun! ;)

I hope that your situation improves and that you can get some forward traction with your projects...sometimes none of this makes any sense at all!

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
They said it was too quiet. Every single editor, however, expressed interest in seeing my second project as soon as it was completed because they were all intrigued by the premise.

Bolding mine. I think this says everything you need to know right here.

The feeling I'm getting from the agent is not good. When I push for a timeline, she says things like, "The longer an editor waits to see a finished product, the more eager they are to get it. It's not a bad thing to keep them waiting." I don't know if I believe that.

It's not a bad thing to keep them waiting if you are, for example, Stephen King, and your editor and all your readers will be beating down the door to get to your new book.

My question is this: If I end up parting ways with this agent, would it be acceptable to directly send the ms to the editors who expressed an interest in seeing it?

Of course. They asked to see it, so send it.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Previous poster's advice/experience aside; whether you submit directly to the waiting editors could go a couple of ways:

1) You don't submit it because you've dropped the agent=No publication

2) You submit without said agent but editors consider it bad form=No publication

3) You submit it to waiting editors who give it due consideration because of their previously expressed interest=a possibility of publication

4) You work your tail off to get another agent to submit to those editors (who, in all likelihood won't remember precisely which agent initially pitched them)=possibility of publication, although the window may have passed (this is all dependent upon you being contractually free to have another agent submit a project your current agent has passed on).

So, would you rather have the possibility of publication from submitting, or a definite 'no' because you never did?

And I have been in your boat and dropped an agent who never submitted completed proposal(s) to 3 editors who had specifically requested them. I gave him 6 months from the time we signed together. All he had to do was write a cover letter and push 'send.' I'd already made his suggested changes. I knew several others who signed with him too. None of us ever got word of any submissions on our behalf. I think waiting on him hurt me more than submitting without him ever would have.