Chickensoup for the soul - copyright question

GreenAvenue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leannegeurts.com
So, when you submit a story to let say Chickensoup for the soul, they say the need your permission to print your story (in one of their books they end up selling). However when I fill out the form on the Chickensoup website nothing is said about transferring copyright from me to them.
How does this work? Do they need my signature on a form before they are allowed to print my story in their book?

V.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you are granting them the rights to reproduce you story in print. You need to read the form and find out what the terms say. Is it a one time grant? Is is print, electronic, audio, or anything and everything they can think of? Is is US rights or world rights?

Whenever submitting you work for publication, always know what rights you are granting and if you will be restricting that work from other possible uses.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Generally, publications do not purchase "copyright". There are other "rights", including First Publication Rights, First North American Publication Rights, Electronic Rights, etc., which are generally what legitimate publications purchase. And the "Chicken Soup" franchise most certainly is a legitimate publication outlet. Check the language of your contract.

As an aside, does there exist a "Chicken Soup for Jewish Mothers" publication?

caw

Sea Witch

Stirring the word cauldron
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Unless things have changed, I heard years ago that the Chicken Soup for the Soul contracts were draconian and did not offer much anything for the writer other than a small initial check. For that reason I know several NF writers who turned them down.