Question about addressing a query

Lizzy

Quiet but observant
Registered
Reaction score
An agent I'm interested in querying specifically says on her website to send email queries to her assistant, and gives her assistant's email address. In the salutation, should I still address the query letter to the agent, or to the assistant, since it's obvious the assistant will be the one reading it?

I was going to address it to the agent, but I thought I'd check here, because I'm not 100% sure. It sort of feels wrong to put the agent's name on it when she made it clear the assistant will receive it, but I don't know.

I normally wouldn't worry all that much about it, but this is one of my top picks for agents, and I don't want to do even the tiniest thing wrong!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think whether you address it to the agent or her assistant will matter all that much - certainly won't make or break the query.

If it were me, I'd still address it to the agent. Unless she specifically said I'm not taking queries, but my assistant is, you are still querying the agent. So address it to the agent.

But, in the grand scheme of things, I just don't think it matters that much. :)

Good luck!

~suki

An agent I'm interested in querying specifically says on her website to send email queries to her assistant, and gives her assistant's email address. In the salutation, should I still address the query letter to the agent, or to the assistant, since it's obvious the assistant will be the one reading it?

I was going to address it to the agent, but I thought I'd check here, because I'm not 100% sure. It sort of feels wrong to put the agent's name on it when she made it clear the assistant will receive it, but I don't know.

I normally wouldn't worry all that much about it, but this is one of my top picks for agents, and I don't want to do even the tiniest thing wrong!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I concur with Suki.

Don't sweat the little details too much. It is the body of the e-mail that will make or break you.

EVERY agent has a story about the client who sent them an e-mail with an agent from a different agency's name on the header, or their gender wrong or some other major screw-up. It may sour them slightly, but if the body of the query impresses them, they don't care. They know mistakes happen and won't begrudge you.