Starting a Query Email with an Image of the Book Cover

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewfinnieportfolio.blogspot.com
As an illustrator first and an 'author and illustrator' second, I am tempted to start my query letter (email) with an image of the cover of the book I am marketing (which I know will probably be changed by the publisher)

I wondered what thoughts on this were?]
EDIT: The book is an illustrated novelette.

Now for a stupid question. (I get three don't I?)
My Illustration Blog has had close to 45,000 hits. Considering that many blogs have had many more, including I assume most agent blogs, then my guess is that this isn't a great selling point to an agent for my worth as an illustrator?

thanks in advance for any replies.

EDIT what follows is not the book cover, but an example of my work, just to set the scene

Doc6.jpg

Last edited:

Allen R. Brady

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind you don't know what kind of email reader your recipient will be using. Will they have graphics enabled? Will it treat the graphic as an attachment? Might that cause their spam filter to block it?

Unless this is a picture book, I'd leave illustrations out of the query. Save them for when you get a request for samples.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
If you're trying to find an agent for a book you wrote, query them with the book.

If you're trying to find an agent for illustrative work, follow whatever the guidelines are for that.

Publishers decide on covers, not you. You have a pretty picture, but it's not a book cover.

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ahh thanks Allen and jennontheisland for the quick replies!

I neglected to say that it is an illustrated novel(lette) and I will amend the first post.

It's a good point about the having graphics enabled. The graphic would not be an attachment but in the body of the mail.

jennontheisland: ah yes, what you say is true! I am in a quandry as the work is neither book, nor illustration, nor graphic novel, nor pretty picture book!

I will stick up an example cover in the first post to give an idea of the type of image I would start the mail with.

thanks again for your advice!

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Illustrated or not, the agent wants the story not the pictures. The pictures you have may not even be the ones used for it. Don't include anything other than your 3-4 paragraphs if you're querying.

As to your question about your blog... unless those 45K hits are happening weekly, no, the agent likely won't care.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No. Not (most likely) ever.

Is this a picture book or graphic novel? If so, checking each agency/publisher's guidelines for submitting graphics is your first step. Unless they say, "Start with your cover image in the body of the email!" just query them per their guidelines and attach what they request, exactly how they request it.

Some want attachments, some want images sent, in whatever resolution, and in however many copies they require, via hard copy.

This is important, regardless of what genre you're writing in: If you add an image to your email, it will show up in most email clients as an attachment. Most agencies have a hard and fast rule about deleting queries with unsolicited attachments, unread. Until invited (or submission guidelines tell you how to submit them safely), don't add any pictures. Not to the body, not to your signature. Hell, in gmail, if someone from certain email clients sends me a smilie, it comes through as an attachment. Don't risk it.

ETA: Wandered off while posting, sorry. Lots of good responses since. Please excuse any redundencies. This was to the OP when I started this missive 40 minutes ago... Sigh.

Last edited:

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well I just checked your website. Very classy, very intriguing. I too live with a badly behaved cat - called Leviticus.

Thanks for the info on the attachments. I figured that if, the image was in the mail itself, it was no longer an attachment - shows you how much I know about gmail. :)

The book is neither a picture book, nor a graphic novel. This will make it harder to sell of course. It's nominally 72 pages 5,200 words. The closest description I could give at the moment is Shaun Tan's "The Arrival" - but with words. And that would be a misleading comparison.

I have a few friends hunting down books that it might be like, and that will give me more of a 'heads up."

thanks again for your response Margaret

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Don't send anyone images in an email.

Send them a query for the book, and a link where they can see the illustrations.

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you IceCreamEmpress. I am so glad I asked this question! It makes me worry about the questions I didn't ask :)

This forum is a great place to stumble on.

For what it is worth, Wallace Stevens has 'always' been a favourite poet of mine.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second what others have said, but with some clarifications:

First, if your book is most similar to The Arrival, then it will be marketed as a graphic novel, and you should follow the submission instructions for graphic novels. But if it's not really like The Arrival, then it is a novel, and you should query it as a novel but include in the query that you envision it being heavily illustrated and have done those illustrations, and include a link to your portfolio (if you are in fact an illustrator, you should have a portfolio to show). But be aware, if you query it as a novel, the publisher might love the words but want someone else to illustrate it - and you should think about whether you would be comfortable with that. YOU DO NOT NEED to discuss it in the query, but you should think about it, so you can talk to any interested agent about the issue when the time comes.

Second, do not call it a "novelette" - that will be the kiss of death for most agents. If it is a graphic novel, call it that. If a novel you envision being illustrated, call it that.

Third, read submission guidelines - if it is a graphic novel, you will want to find agent who rep graphic novels and then follow their submission guidelines. If a novel, query it as a novel with the extra info that you envision it illustrated.

~suki

Last edited:

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you Suki!

Yes I have avoided the word 'novelette' in the queries I have already sent out. I have been describing it as an 'illustrated novel.'

Personally the genre "Graphic Novel" conjures up (to me unaesthetic) images of black and white comic book type illustrations. Obviously this is incorrect, just a personal foible.

Yes, the work comes complete with illustrations. The illustrations are better than the text (imho) which I why I am keen to use them as the selling point.

I have been reading submission guidelines carefully, but though the agent might market "Graphic Novels' submission guidelines are sometimes weighted toward traditional novels.

Once again, thank you for your advice!

I am currently going through this http://www.writeagreatquery.com/ after discovering it on this site.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you might hate what I'm about to say, but I think it might help you. ;)

Thank you Suki!

Yes I have avoided the word 'novelette' in the queries I have already sent out. I have been describing it as an 'illustrated novel.'

Personally the genre "Graphic Novel" conjures up (to me unaesthetic) images of black and white comic book type illustrations. Obviously this is incorrect, just a personal foible.

Honestly? First, get over yourself ;) Second, get thee to the bookstore - there are incredible, amazing graphic novels out there. And if that is what your book would best be marketed as, you are doing it a disservice by refusing to call it what it would best be. So...go do your research, and dump your hangups, and figure out how your book would be most marketable. then get over yourself again (that was an attempt at levity, by the). ;)

Yes, the work comes complete with illustrations. The illustrations are better than the text (imho) which I why I am keen to use them as the selling point.

I throw a red flag here - if any part isn't outstanding, you are not ready to query. Both the text and images have to be outstanding. So, get back to work before you query further if you think the text isn't as good as the illustrations.

I have been reading submission guidelines carefully, but though the agent might market "Graphic Novels' submission guidelines are sometimes weighted toward traditional novels.

Another way would be to go check out the graphic novels published in the last few years - you need to do that anyway, given the above orders, right? - and then look up who reps those author/illustrators.

If your book is close to The Arrival, and the illustrations tell part of the story, then I would call it a graphic novel, if it were me. But you need to go do your research so that you can tell an agent where this fits in the market - ie, who is publishing books like yours? And who might buy them? Not literally, not in the query at least, but if it is hard to describe what it is, then it might be helpful to say something like, "BOOK may appeal to readers of THE ARRIVAL, OTHER COMPARATIVE BOOK, and OTHER BOOK." So that the agent can picture who might be interested in acquiring it.

~suki

Last edited:

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heh, :) thank you again Suki!

Oh I am part of a group of painters that share a studio and am used to critique - thank you. I would never hate anything anyone said, especially when it is such good advice as yours.

I am guilty of many things :) One of them is making a book that I would want to read - without firstly discovering the niche that it should fit in. I made it for an artist's book show which is currently travelling around Australia - and as such it has a feminist perspective. (not that I would read such trash ... just kidding!)

I have been using this aspect in some queries. The following was the brief for the show (I did not write the brief as I am unable to construct a sentence with more than eight commas hidden within it ;) )

The exhibition is conceived as an interdisciplinary collaboration between artists, writers and craftspeople invited to work together to create handmade books which explore female narratives within the fairytale genre.

While the classic fairytale ending ‘happily ever after’ envisages a single, finite destiny, the contemporary feminine experience encompasses a multiplicity of roles, expectations, endings, beginnings and relationships. Thus the exhibition theme is probably best conceptualised as a celebration of diversity within destiny, with the fairytale genre used as the narrative vehicle to explore this idea.

Your advice is excellent thank you. I will take it to heart. I have looked in book shops and have yet to find a book similar to mine. I will look harder :)

Oh the writing in the book isn't bad at all, just that I admit that the illuminations are better :) We all have our strong points - mine for example is cooking- my weak point is washing up.!

thank you once again

Last edited:

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
From what you describe, I'm thinking of something like an adult picture book - story on the left page, picture on the right - like Kit William's Masquerade (without the puzzle, natch) or one of Alan Aldridge's books (The Ship's Cat, The Peacock Party).

If so, I wonder if you'd do better to approach publishers directly. Look to those who publish Art books - that's what this sounds like. It is an object to have, rather than a story to be read, if that makes sense.

ETA - If you were querying the text, you query the text only, so no pictures with the Q. I don't think that's what you're doing though.

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you Theo81, that's a grand idea. I hadn't heard of those books and will enjoy looking them up. Aldridge's books look a scream, so I indebted to you for that!

Yes I understand 'an object to have". It's a concept that decorates much of my library. I have a self published book of paintings which has been referred to as such an object (I did it for the people who have bought my paintings as a catalogue raisonné and h ave already been asked by one of my collectors whether I would die soon so my paintings go up in value ...:) )

Thank you for your advice on approaching publishers first and I will certainly give it serious thought.

And thank you for the names of those artists!

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I would find agents who rep both illustrators and authors. Send an e-mail explaining your situation and asking what format they would prefer to see.

Contrary to popular belief agents WANT to represent people. If the project sounds interesting they're going to have a look. So long as you approach them politely most will be receptive to an alternate style of book.

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you Drachen Jager (Dragon Fighter?)

that is very good advice, appreciated. I spent all day yesterday researching how to write a query letter courtesy of many kind links I found here. I reduced my synopsis to a paragraph and my letter to a page. Amazing what succinctness will achieve over verbosity - well it looks neater any way :)

Contrary to popular belief agents WANT to represent people. If the project sounds interesting they're going to have a look. So long as you approach them politely most will be receptive to an alternate style of book.

That's a good lesson thank you.

regards from Oz :)

PS my friends have come up with about five books which have slight similarities to mine, and regarding te Blog Hits question, I found an agent yesterday who requested Blog Stats!

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Krieger is fighter/warrior. You're close though.

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ahh Drachen Jager, I was working a hunch re Chuck Yaeger :)

Susan, thank you, I appreciate that! I enjoyed your latest post about your grandmother's writings. You might like my friend Linda's Blog. She is an illustrator and a wonderful writer, also caring about her family history.

http://lindahensley.blogspot.com/2011/12/separated.html

It's all beyond me though. When I was a baby I was found in a handbag in a locker at Victoria Station :)

Just a joke of course. Thank you again. I wish you well with your novel and query letter writing.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Andrew, I have nothing to add, except to say your artwork at your blog (and the one here) is very nice.

Yeah, I second that. Your portfolio is scary good. I'd consider breaking your video up into several shorter ones, though. Eleven+ minutes is going to have too many people missing a lot of images in the second half.

But, really, I just watched it and can't wait to show it to my daughter when she gets home from school. The circus stuff in particular is my fav.

Sorry for the derail...

headwax

Artist and Illustrator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cole thank you :)

Yep, you are so right about the length. It was a big project and I lost my way. I think there are three hundred images in 20 minutes, it took me two weeks of constant work and that music got stuck in my head like someone had drilled an MP3 electrode implant into my corpus christi....

I ran out of steam :) I have twice as many images since I made that one. The problem is objective selection, as if that ever existed. I certainly will edit it, thank you. :)

I'm glad you like it enough to show your daughter.

I'm intrigued by the title of the book on your avatar. Just makes me want to grab a hold of a copy. Nice work ;)

And what a superb quote on your site:

The writing is great. The plot is a trip. It's an interesting combination of humor, melancholy, and hope. I enjoyed how all the pieces fit together and found the quirky characters likeable in surprising ways

Last edited: