A Question About Editing

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just received an offer of rep. but the agent said it needed editorial help. She just emailed me today saying they do not offer proofreading or editorial services. I am still waiting for the contract, but does this mean I have to get the editing done on my own? I really didn't want to pay for anything, but am worried that's what this agent wants me to do. Why would an agent want to rep a story just to tell the author they have to pay for editing? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Because the story idea is great but the technical merit needs work.

Usually, when an agent tells you the story needs editorial help she's not expecting you to PAY for editing. She expects you to do it yourself. In other words--get to work. Once you're contracted, ask her specifically what she means. She'll tell you and then you get to do it.

Probably not a good idea, by the way, to tell her you can't do it. Every author needs to know how to edit and revise their manuscripts. It's part of our toolbox and something we all MUST do.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense. So after getting the contract you think she'll tell me what to fix? Cause if I knew it would have been fixed a long time ago, ya know what I mean? The problem is is that I have no clue what to fix.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I can't speak for your agent, but I know mine did. She may just tell you to clean it up. It's hard to say.

But my question is--why would you accept an offer of representation from an agent without having a good idea of where she thinks it needs editorial help?

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
Because the story idea is great but the technical merit needs work.

Usually, when an agent tells you the story needs editorial help she's not expecting you to PAY for editing. She expects you to do it yourself. In other words--get to work. Once you're contracted, ask her specifically what she means. She'll tell you and then you get to do it.

Probably not a good idea, by the way, to tell her you can't do it. Every author needs to know how to edit and revise their manuscripts. It's part of our toolbox and something we all MUST do.

this

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
You should really discuss this with the offering agent. You need to know what she wants you to change before you sign any contract. If you don't agree with the edits she wants, there's no point in entering a business relationship.

Agents may not want to share their editorial thoughts in detail prior to signing, but they should always share the basics when asked.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, and no I haven't signed yet. And I will be sure to ask all the necessary questions first. It just has been difficult tho, with the timing and all. I actually had another offer and leaned towards my counteroffer, which is the one I am talking about because her creditionals and the agency was much better. But now I'm in this quandary again. She offered rep. before Thanksgiving and so I've been waiting for more info. So far that's all she said, along with telling me the agreement is on its way.

It's just hard to wait, I thought I'd ask you guys.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Ummm, personally, I wouldn't accept that offer until I was clear on exactly what was meant by editorial help. If she plans to give you revision notes, fine. If she's expecting you to hire someone, then no telling whether the hired editor will do the job the agent thinks needs doing. I would get clarification on that before making a final decision.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...Usually, when an agent tells you the story needs editorial help she's not expecting you to PAY for editing. She expects you to do it yourself. In other words--get to work. Once you're contracted, ask her specifically what she means. She'll tell you and then you get to do it...

(Bolding mine.)

Respectfully to Ms. Celina, please clarify this BEFORE you're contracted (as mentioned above). From what you've shared, we can't tell if this contract is coming from Writers House or Big Al's House o' Writers. This should be a standard part of any productive, pre-signing conversation with a reputable agent looking to form a relationship with a writer whose book s/he truly believes s/he can sell. You just want to be sure you're not going to be "referred" out to any services this agent is connected with.

I'm not suggesting you will be, not at all. I just can't tell from what you've posted.

Congrats on the offer! Have you checked this agent out thoroughly? Here, on Writer Beware, P&E? Do you need any help being sure s/he's legit?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Giant Baby, I checked pretty much all I can to check out the agent and the agency. I also checked Writer's Beware and the P&E site and all on here too.

She seems really busy so I don't get a lot out of her. She's had my ms. since Labor Day and when I got an offer, she sped things up.

I don't think these edits she is taking about are major. I just think they're minor tech problems and perhaps a few typos. I'm actually surprised she offered because when she asked for the full she said to make sure it's all polished. At the time I thought it was reading my brains out on it. But looking at it now, I see things that should have been cleaned up before. But again, it's minor and I don't think I could get it perfect on my own. I'll have to get another pair of eyes for this maybe.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for your thoughtful comments.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I was wrong. It does sound like she wants it to be professionally edited, which I can't afford. It's still vague to me and I keep asking more questions. Still haven't gotten the bloomin' contract yet either.

Here's the thing...

I had an offer, like I said. But the second offer was coming from a better agency (supposedly). I already declined on the org. offer and now regretting it. I still have one more full reading and had asked for an update, but still no answer on that either.

If all else fails, would it be horrible to ask the first agent if I can go back to her?