Asking for rights to a book back?

LMILLER111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Let's say you signed a contract, went through the editing for a book, and you realize that the book you're about to release is not a very good book, and the publisher you signed with isn't a scam, but it's just not a very good publisher (they accepted you because they had low standards). I don't want to have that book on the market anymore. Is there a way that people have managed to ask for the rights to their books back? I would be willing to pay, but I just want to approach it properly. Has anyone done this successfully? It is wholly my fault. Desperation to be published led me to sign on with the publisher despite my being rejected everywhere else. I've gotten better now, and I see that the novel is amateurish (to put it kindly). Should I just forget about it, or should I ask for my rights back and tell them I'd be willing to pay?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It never hurts to ask, but depending on how much the publisher has spent, it could be a very expensive proposition, even if they sell the rights back to you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, there should be a reversion clause in your contract. Have you checked it?

If there isn't one, then I'd not offer to pay right from the start. Ask for your rights back first. If they ask you why, tell them you don't think the book is good enough and that it'll reflect badly on you both if it's out there. They might be happy to release you bearing that in mind.

Of course, they might not--but you can deal with that when you get there. Is the publisher one we might know?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, check your contract very very carefully. It could be that all you have to do is ask and they will agree.

But, and I feel I should warn you, there is a chance that they might refuse. If they do then you have some limited options, such as offering to buy them back (expensive) or going down the legal route. Sadly this can also be dependant on the contract, and if they are legally in the right, and simply refuse to release you then you could well see the book published anyway. But hopefully that won't be the case.

Check them out on the background check forum to see if others have had the same issue with them.

Some publishers are pretty cool about things like this, some aren't. Also, you'll have to factor in what they might have spent on the book already in terms of printing and publiciity etc.

How far along you are in the publishing stage will also have an effect on how easy it will be to dissolve the partnership.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
How about just asking them to put a pseudonym on it, rather than the name you want to be published under? Then you can pretend it never existed and still collect any royalties, should any magically appear.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
rainsmom's answer may be the easiest; publish it under a pseudonym you never plan to use again, and the book will stand or fall without affecting your future work.