Freelancing as a means to an end?

ShamanDrum

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how many freelance writers here are aspiring fiction writers who haven't been published yet and are just freelancing to make money until that happens. And how many are already published authors who are freelancing just to supplement their income?

On the flip side of the coin, are there writers here who are happy just freelancing?

The reason I ask is that my ultimate goal is to eventually write fiction, but I was going to freelance to support myself until that happens. I'm just concerned that if I do eventually start freelancing to earn some money, it might eat up a lot of my time, and I might lose sight of my original goal. That's why I'm interested to hear if anybody else has trodden this path before, and what their experience was :)

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I currently have a memoir with an agent, and also a fiction proposal out. I'm also working on a novel, but don't plan on kissing freelancing goodbye even if any of the books pan out.
The books would have to do rather well to match my per word income from freelancing. And while I find fiction writing so much easier than writing articles, I love having a paid platform for outdoorsy and nature topics. No, I wouldn't want to give it up :)

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I do love freelance writing. I am also an aspiring fiction writer (I've had two short stories published). For me, the hardest thing is finding the time to write all of the things I want to. Yes, I do need to keep freelancing for the income, but I also love it, so I won't give it up. I find that my other writing (like fiction) gets put on the back burner. I just need to learn to manage my time better :)

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
Means to an end

I think you'll find that most people who write freelance, rarely divorce it completely, even when they find success elsewhere. This is why you see articles from well known authors popping up here and there.

I'll always write freelance, because I do all of my own photography for my articles and thoroughly enjoy that. I just won't write as much if I'm working on a novel, although during those periods when I need a break from writing fiction and doing research, I might work on a freelance project.

Let's face it, freelance writing is so darn much easier than producing a 90,000 word novel, although getting paid for your articles can present its own set of challenges.

Best of luck....

czig

Wait--did I just say that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolziogas.com
I freelance for magazines to get my name out there, build relationships with editors, and learn more about the industry. I get more work editing for clients than freelance writing, but I enjoy both.

There may be a fiction novel in my brain somewhere, but it isn't in a hurry to get out just yet.

ShamanDrum

Registered
Reaction score
Good to read some of the different stories.

It's hard for me to guess which category I'll fall into as I'm still trying to break into the market.

I find writing fiction a hell of a lot easier than writing articles, although I don't have any real world (paid) experience in either so my perspective may change over time. I may even grow to like freelancing more. Life is full of surprises.

Just worried the notoriously long hours I hear are necessary to scrape by in the world of freelancing might make writing fiction an unattainable luxury.

But then, I also have notoriously poor time management skills, so I guess there's a lot of room for improvement there :)

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Part of my rationale for going freelance full-time was that I'd have more time to work on my fiction.

However, now when I'm done writing my paid work for the day, I want to run as far as possible from my laptop. Which really isn't conducive to writing great fiction.

My brain only has so many words in it per day, and frankly, a lot of it gets eaten up by work.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I love both. I am a published author (both self & pubbed through a romance epublisher) and while the money is nowhere near what I can make writing non-fiction or doing graphic design or content/copy writing, I greatly enjoy all aspects of publishing that I've been involved in, and the sales are actually going up for all my works.

I mainly like to 'mix up' what I do so that I don't get in a rut. I'll work on fiction for a week or two, then non-fiction, all the while juggling the graphic design jobs that are the main backbone of my business.

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
In a word, no. Freelance writing IS what I do. I also write books, blogs, and pretty much anything else. Freelance writing is not a step towards something in particular, other than the next paying job.
That sounds lame. What I mean is, if I suddenly become famous (reaching here), I will still write, because writing stuff down is what I do.

Amy J

Kstanki2

Cosmic Shaman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kstanki.com
I am currently using freelance writing to get through college and sustain myself financially, my fiction writing is on the back-burner until everything is more stable, but novels are my ultimate goal.

A quick aside for my fellow freelancers: do you think all that time spent writing articles as a freelancer has improved your ability to write fiction as well? Or has the non-fiction tone seeped into your fiction and caused your prose to feel more stilted?

DiannaG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mostly a student right now, but I've done some freelance blogging and I really do enjoy it. I am an aspiring fiction writer and I hope to someday be able to support myself on fiction alone, but I think I would still write occasional articles and freelance blog posts.

ShamanDrum

Registered
Reaction score
@Calle_Jay, ultimately I'd like to do what you do, mix it up that is. If only I can learn enough discipline to juggle so many different projects.

@Kstanki2, I'm wondering that as well. Even though they both involve writing, to me they feel like very different disciplines. On the other hand I imagine that even though the craft is different, having aptitude in one area probably means having it in the other.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
@Shaman, LOL at the discipline! That has probably been my biggest hurdle to success at any part of writing. It wasn't until I did NaNo in '07 and succeeded before I began to have writing discipline.

@Kstanki2 I've found I'm more aware of tone when doing different types of freelance. "How-to" articles have a different style than reports or curricula for middle school, for example. I think that tone awareness has trickled over into the fiction side of things. Other than that, I've not noticed one influencing the other.