Have Fulls Out but Thinking of Revising

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Good news/Bad News. Had another agent get back to me on a full. He suggested a fairly significant revision which I totally agree with! Yay, since I wanted to go in this direction to begin with (as usual, given the choice between two options I went the wrong way<g>).

So, what about the submissions still out? There's only a handful at this point, but I was about to query more.

Wait to submit more, and rewrite and then continue submitting the revised edition? It's a little disconcerting to think there would be two versions of my story out there at the same time.

TIA,
EM

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Most agents are fine with holding off reading a manuscript. Just tell them you got some significant notes and you want to make some major changes if they could hold off reading you'll get back to them with the updated MS.

About 1 in 10 gets pissy about that, but it's not common. Certainly hold off on querying while you revise, it makes no sense to put anything but your best foot forward.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I pulled and revised my MS three times on my latest work. Third try was the charm!

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Yes-- I'd let agents know that you received 'extensive notes' from an agent, and that you're intending to revise. Ask them if they'd be willing to wait and you'll send the revised draft.

This also is a nice show of interest to other agents-- that an agent saw some real merit in the project enough to give you notes. I'm always happy to wait and read the revised draft-- it's a major plus if you've worked with an industry professional to revise!

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Yes-- I'd let agents know that you received 'extensive notes' from an agent, and that you're intending to revise. Ask them if they'd be willing to wait and you'll send the revised draft.

This also is a nice show of interest to other agents-- that an agent saw some real merit in the project enough to give you notes. I'm always happy to wait and read the revised draft-- it's a major plus if you've worked with an industry professional to revise!

Thanks Mandy! I'm usually a "glass half full" kind of person but I was viewing this as a potential negative -- not that an agent saw merit, but that it needed work and wasn't ready/worthy of review. Probably an indication of how beat up I feel over the submission process. <g>

Now I'm worried a bit because the agent call his sugestions substantial revisions and I see it as, "Hey, no big deal; this is an easy fix." Which makes me concerned that maybe I'm not on the same page as the agent.

On the positive end my concerns over my characters and plot (issues I tried to address with help from betas) were prasied by the agent. So maybe I'm not as far off as I fear. It also helps to hear I'm a strong writer since I obsess over Every. Single. Word.

Guess I'll have to just wait until resubmitting and see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... good advice above. I'd follow it so long as you're on the same page as the agent and agree with the suggestions. If you don't then stick to your guns and wait and see what the other agents say. They may go for your manuscript as is. And who is to say it isn't fine as it is? Just something to think about. G'luck.