Got A Nice Tip From a Rejection

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
My full was rejected --which is a major bummer--but the agent was kind enough to suggest another agent at another agency. When querying this new agent, should I mention that the agent who suggested I contact him, had read my full and rejected it? (She said she wasn't confident she could sell it in the crowded market, but felt someone else would jump on it.)

TIA,
EM

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i would...being rejected with a referral is better than nothing at all, and unlike some of the "Oh, I read your blog and how you loved Jason Bourne novels, so I am submitting my story of a shy teenage boy in love, who happens to be named Jason" type of relevance-attempt fails, you really do have something personal to put in.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely mention that this agent recommended the other. Mention that she read the full, said she didn't feel 100% about it but thought agent #2 might want to have a go at it.

At the very least it practically guarantees you a full request. They will still choose to take it on or not depending on their preference, workload etc., but at least you get a virtual free pass on the initial stages of the query process.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely mention that this agent recommended the other. Mention that she read the full, said she didn't feel 100% about it but thought agent #2 might want to have a go at it.

At the very least it practically guarantees you a full request. They will still choose to take it on or not depending on their preference, workload etc., but at least you get a virtual free pass on the initial stages of the query process.

A free pass?! I've never had a free pass!

Okay, so I shouldn't get too excited if/when they ask for the full. LOL

Thanks for your input.:)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

Yes, absolutely.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure it's an actual recommendation and not a generic "have you tried" kind of thing. Most agents will check to see if referrals or recommendations are legit, and you don't want it to come across as "After I got rejected by the guy I was hoping for, I thought I'd try you..."

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure it's an actual recommendation and not a generic "have you tried" kind of thing. Most agents will check to see if referrals or recommendations are legit, and you don't want it to come across as "After I got rejected by the guy I was hoping for, I thought I'd try you..."

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. That's why I was thinking of saying something equally generic such as, "I was given your name by xxx..." and leave it at that. Too vague?

I asked the original agent I queried for a recommendation and she answered with this particular agent at a *tippy-top tier* agency.

Sooo, is this a case where less is better regarding how I present my recommendation?

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Chances are if she gave you a name and an agency, it was an honest to goodness referral. I would mention it in the first line of the query. Something like:

"Dear Agent X, So-and-so suggested I contact you with my novel, XXXX. She read the manuscript and ultimately passed, but felt it might be right for you.""

An agent did that for me once and the other agent read my proposal immediately. Ultimately, she passed, but with regrets, which was nice. It was nonfiction and, unfortunately, a couple of similar books by authors with celebrity platforms had just been sold.

Good luck!

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
An agent did that for me once and the other agent read my proposal immediately. Ultimately, she passed, but with regrets, which was nice. It was nonfiction and, unfortunately, a couple of similar books by authors with celebrity platforms had just been sold.

!

Sorry :-(

D**n celebrities