Sex trafficing in US

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I want to write a novel through the point of view of a girl forced into prostitution in the US.

I loved to find some interviews from people who have been in this situation. I tried the library for books on human trafficking but most were either checked out or about international trafficking.

Books, interviews, documentaries on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
There are a number of books on the subject via Amazon, et al.

But have you checked Google Scholar? (just "google" Google Scholar, it will get you there) Search there for "sex trafficking" in all categories. Interesting stuff.

Good luck

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Thanks. Williebee the google scholar thing is great. I already found a very detailed report that will be perfect. Looks like is covers just about everything I need.

and ajkjd01 that book looks pretty fascinating. Even though I'm looking for more typical forms of forced prostitution (taken from their home and forced to work the streets) the psychology of that story I'm sure will be helpful too.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
You might need to research this through news articles. The BBC online has run many stories on the topic, including a harrowing tale from an Albanian woman (of course their focus is more on the UK). There was a ring busted running a brothel with immigrants forced to work as prostitutes right on 969 in Austin. Check with your library about access to online information databases that might have useful documents either from news sources or academic journals (eg Academic Search Complete or JSTOR).

The Slave Next Door is definitely a book to look into.

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
The sex researcher Laura Augustin is good. She mostly picks apart available research and lays bare methodological flaws.

http://www.lauraagustin.com/

A huge problem with studying prostitution in the world is it's illegal status. It's hard to find subjects and those that they find have an incentive to lie. That makes it an exceedingly difficult field to study no matter what one's political convictions on the matter are. It's virtually impossible to know which numbers to trust.

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
I saw a documentry on this awhile back called Very Young Girls. It was set in New York. Most of the girls were runaways or victims of kidnapping. Certainly worth a watch if you are researching it.