PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I'get to say,"hello - I'm new here!"

Doctor Jay Z
10-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Hello - I'm brand new here so allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jay Z+ (zajas), not the Shawn Corey Carter rapper Jay Z-, but I am a former tai chi/kung fu master, Chinese wellness practitioner, as well as a poet, percussionist and a singer (gospel, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole & contemporary Jazz kind). I write for enjoyment (creative children's stories & poetry) and I also wrote technical or scholarly articles and book reviews as a part of my work (as a PsyD therapist & PhD professor/academic dean and naturopathic medicine wellness practitioner). My 14th book was Applying Telecommunications & Technology from a Global Business (blah, blah, blah) with Haworth Press & International Business Press and my second was as a co-author with Dr. John H. Jackson, DBA & Dr. Tim Keaveny who were my professors and doctoral supervisors at the U. of Wyoming (our book Successful Supervision & the Practice of Management was put on the shelf in its 2nd edition by Prentice Hall after Simon Schuster acquired it. They never released the rights for us to publish it elsewhere, not at least to my knowledge... but I was just a minor, first time co-author, second in line to Dr. Jackson). My first book, Our Moments of Time was self-published by me at Springman-King Publishing in South Texas when I was City Manager & Administrator for a city there. I've learned a lot since then but my latest (hopefully not my last) book just came out and it is clear I have a lot to learn again (it's been about 10 years since my last book was published). My newest book is on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Goggle Books, Kindle Books, etc., and it's called, "Honor The Z Force for H.I.M. - health, intimacy & meaning in life." It's sort of a tribute to my mentors Dr. Viktor Frankl, Dr. Ann Graber, Mother Teresa, and others who taught me on my Z Quest for meaning, intimacy and purpose in life.

The Dutch saying: "Too soon old, and too late smart," applies to me. I especially like to write creative stories and poetry, but not so much the technical stuff (and I've published about 50 journal articles and book reviews for national and international academic publications, more blah, blah, blah). At this point, I wish to do less of the blah, blah, and more of the creative, custom writing, with a strong slant toward motivational, inspirational topics and spiritual issues dealing with health, intimacy and divine meaning. I've had two near/and/after death experiences in major accidents so I'm very interested in what happens when we die and what it takes (congruence/honesty, trust and intimacy, etc.) to live well in this life, or setting. I've been told that i have a 'gift' for motivational speaking, but it takes all of this gift and a few dollars just to buy a good cup of coffee or tea nowadays (thanks to our government's hyperinflation and stagnation practices). So if there are any interested, experienced co-authors out there with like, uncommon interests, please write and let me know. My next book will be about "Intimacy in Our Covenant Relationships"(I Am, I Can, I Will...") or "The Keys to Lasting Intimacy in Life." I do NOT wish to use Lulu (the name sounds a bit weird) or Create Space (once is more than enough) so any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Please note our website at the AWA/AAWDAmericanWellnessAcademy.com (where I volunteer as CEO) is being revised but you may write or quiry me at my email at doctor.jon@hotmail.com. I hope it's okay to list my email, but it's better than giving my office number at this point. Well, enough about me and who I am, et cetera....

My question to anyone who wishes to share their wisdom with me is this: "What is the best way to market one's book after (sort of) self-publishing it?" My current book has been through too many delays to mention, but now that it's out, what is the best way to sell and/or promote it? Create Space is not much of a help (that's the nicest way I could say this) so I've decided to learn from my experience with them and discover other ways to sell, promote and get it out to others. Are there e-lists I could buy to use in sending out reviews and summaries of my book, (to libraries, etc.) and if so, where may I acquire these? Thanks for whatever help you may be able to offer me in this quest. I really appreciate this type of community forum where great (and not so great) minds, spirits and souls can share, collaborate, vent, or co-conspire. Until then, !Dios los vendigas & la paz de Christo! ..... Dr. Jay Z+:Hug2:
http://amazon.com/doctorjayz+/authorsprofile
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
!Dios los vendigas & la paz de Christo! ..........Peace .......... Dr. Jay Z+:Hug2:
Honor The Z Force for H.I.M. (health, intimacy & meaning in life). CreateSpacePress, 2011, 364 pgs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

thehairymob
10-30-2011, 01:16 AM
:hi::hooray:

Maryn
10-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Pleased to meet you.

Maryn, shaking hands

LindaSW
10-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Welcome! Interesting background. I also do a lot of 'publish or perish' manuscripts in my day job and enjoy wallowing in passive voice for 8 hours a day -- not!

I have no idea how to best republish a self-published book, but I wish you best of luck! Peace...

CACTUSWENDY
10-30-2011, 02:36 AM
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

xXVampyrePrincessXx
10-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Welcome :)

~Amber~

Doctor Jay Z
10-30-2011, 03:02 AM
How do I like my popcorn? Well, that is easy.... it must be HOT and soaked in rich, golden, mouth watering butter... ! E tu Brute?

Sort of like asking: "How do you like your favorite beverage, my dear?" Hot or cold, with whipped cream, crushed chocolate, or without? As it should be, the choice is yours....

Sarah G
10-30-2011, 03:17 AM
:welcome:

Doctor Jay Z
10-30-2011, 03:17 AM
It's so hard to just place ONE Favorite Quote on this site for our profile.... "Great ships are safe in harbor, but such is NOT why Great ships are made." Here's another favorite: "Good timber does NOT grow with ease.... the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees." (J. Willard Marriott). And lastly, for those facing struggles, trials, and suffering: ""By sufferings only can we know, the nature of the life we live; the trial of our souls, they show, how true, how pure, the love we give... To leave my love in doubt would be, no less disgrace than misery....and thus my sorrows shall proclaim, a love that's worthy of His name." (Madame Jeanne Guyon, written at age 19).
There's so many gooood one's from which to choose. +++ JZ+++

andreea
10-30-2011, 04:13 AM
:welcome:

Ari Meermans
10-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Welcome.

Nickie
10-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi there, and welcome to the Cooler.

regdog
10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315) and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217563) regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

trumpetology
10-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Welcome!

as a Shawn Carter fan I was slightly disappointed to find out he was not joining our ranks! ha. Just kidding. Great to have you

PorterStarrByrd
10-30-2011, 08:57 PM
welcome aboard

Alessandra Kelley
11-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Hello and welcome. That's quite a bio!

Damir
11-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Welcome

fantasycreature
11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
My question to anyone who wishes to share their wisdom with me is this: "What is the best way to market one's book after (sort of) self-publishing it?" My current book has been through too many delays to mention, but now that it's out, what is the best way to sell and/or promote it? Create Space is not much of a help (that's the nicest way I could say this) so I've decided to learn from my experience with them and discover other ways to sell, promote and get it out to others. Are there e-lists I could buy to use in sending out reviews and summaries of my book, (to libraries, etc.) and if so, where may I acquire these? Thanks for whatever help you may be able to offer me in this quest. I really appreciate this type of community forum where great (and not so great) minds, spirits and souls can share, collaborate, vent, or co-conspire. Until then, !Dios los vendigas & la paz de Christo! ..... Dr. Jay Z+:Hug2:
!Dios los vendigas & la paz de Christo! ..........Peace .......... Dr. Jay Z+:Hug2:
Honor The Z Force for H.I.M. (health, intimacy & meaning in life). CreateSpacePress, 2011, 364 pgs.

Hi there...I'm a newbie too and am finishing my second fictional novel.

My experience is in the film world so here are things you can do, which many of us on the diy boards pursued and have discussed.

1. Set up your facebook page, website etc. Have links that use only one click to send potential buyers to a sales place. The less links between a potential buyer and the merchandise, the more likely there'll be a sell.

2. Target groups that would be interested in your subject matter and post on their sites or offer incentives to them to buy your works...again...least amount of links to drive them there.

You could try the facebook ads to push traffic that's targeted to those specific people and organizations but its better to concentrate on holding back any financial outlay for the main media and simply build a web page you're able to drive interested parties to in your free time by posting information on their pages.

3. Try and attend Book markets. If you can't go on your own consider having an organization like bookreviewdirect.com of the Jenkins Group Inc. to include them out to markets, libraries, publishers. They can also arrange a targeted media release so you can get it out to reviewers nationally...this is most important.

There are other groups like ereleases who do a great great job getting your blurb out to book reviewers, magazines, talk shows etc. in the same manner they receive new info from their traditional sources.

Shop around for this as it costs, but erelease I know does a good job.

You can, on the other hand, hire a publicist ,which will be more costly, but you might find someone who believes in your work and they have those contacts to get you reviewed by say the NY Times which you're not going to necessarily make happen by ereleases.

A friend of mine with a new biographical work recently invested for his own booth at a large book market after setting his book up for e sales everywhere. He generated so much interest he got video interviewed, traditional book publishing interest and is already getting paid to lecture. He did bring a specific angle to his work, which addresses lifestyle choices, and is doing well so far but it is a huge amount of effort on his part.

I can tell you in the film world there's very little effort in actual production compared to the excruciating amount of outlay and time to find distribution and promotion which can span years. This is why, as wonderful as it is that opportunities have emerged for diy, the traditional route with its setup of production through promotion takes up so much time it leaves not much left to move onto the next project.

Personally for me, having been through that, I prefer to sell my work through traditional routes because I found the reality is just throwing your work online won't get it noticed or sales...in the music business, for example, traditionally to break a single it would take a minimum of 100 grand in promotion.

The film companies use media: tv, front page ads on myspace, to sell those films. The DIY filmmakers don't have that advantage and 100 percent of their work disappears into the miasma of the internet for this reason.

In any case good luck, I hope I've given you some ideas to pursue to get your book reviewed and drive traffic to your work. And if you have a title that is the sort of book that can help people build wealth or their self esteem etc. anything like that consider going wacky and doing a paid television advertisement if you have those sorts of bucks! Did wonders for the George Foreman!

jvc
11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315), and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28185)

Kimber
11-11-2011, 04:50 AM
Namaste.