So I won a critique...

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place or not...
I need opinions, ASAP.

I went to a conference recently and won a raffle prize: a critique of the first ten pages of my wip from an editor. I got the chance to meet said editor and asked him which one of my wips he'd like to critique. He said he liked the premise of wip 1, so send that one. This exchange was very brief and casual. (I didn't want to creep said editor out by hanging around like a stalker.)

Here's my dilema: WIP 1 is "finished", but I'm not happy with the first ten pages AT ALL. (Read into this, I'd like to overhaul the entire book.) WIP 2 is not finished, but the first ten pages are better work. They're more exciting. You get most of the premise right away, yadda yadda. I feel its a stronger representation of my writing ability at this moment. (I've improved a lot since writing wip 1.)

Would you send wip 1 because he asked for it, and hope that his critique will help "fix" (or at least guide you in the right direction of fixing) some of the issues...

OR would you send what you felt was stronger and more interesting despite the fact that he wanted wip 1? Said editor probably won't remember the exchange at the conference anyway... Still, I don't want to give the wrong impression by asking him what I should send and sending something else.

*tear hair smilie here*

I know I won't get a book deal or partial request out of a critique. It's "just" a critique. (Though, one I value since I'm no where near a critique circle that I could meet regularly.) I'm a realist. WWYD?

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Why not ask him, with just the concerns you've voiced here? Or if you can't bring yourself to do that, buckle down and at least fix those first 10 pages of mss #1. That's what he's expecting.

Do not think he won't remember, either. You'd be startled at the number of agents and editors who take notes about their conference meetings.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, chances are they will not remember what one they talked to you about, so....it depends what you are wanting from this service.

If you are SURE about the new work you want to redo on the #1 and not sure anything is wrong with #2 then I would recommend flipping a quarter. :poke: Heads ....#1....tails.....#2.

Best wishes whatever way you go. Keep us informed.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, let me clarify: He's giving me a critique on my first ten pages. That was poor wording on my part.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'd send him the WIP that needs help. You'll get a professional editor's opinion on what's not working.

I'm assuming the prize wasn't along the lines of this is a partial he's reviewing for consideration, so you should still be able to submit to him once your novel is shiny.

If not, you could always submit to another editor in his publishing house.

Just a thought :D Good luck!

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, nothing like that, Jamie. I think I agree with you. (Congrats on your agent. btw.)

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Is he an editor who could theoretically acquire your work? That is, does he work for a small/indie publisher, or a publisher that accepts unagented subs?

I'm trying to figure out whether there's a chance that he'll be interested in acquiring your work. It doesn't really sound like there is, so you don't need to impress him. Just use this as an opportunity to learn. I'd submit WIP #1, which needs more work as you admitted. (Unless you are really, really sure you know how/what to fix.)

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, LOL. He works for one of the big guys. No threat of acquisition here. I shall send the mess of a wip forth and indulge in my love of wip 2 until it's done!

*wiggles nose to make it so*

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I agree, send WIP#1. It's natural to want to send the one you think is better. But you'll get more value from the critique if you send the one that you know needs more work.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Was there any specific reason he chose WIP1, or was it just a casual selection?
Personally I would send WIP2 (with a short note explaining why).

To me there is no point in getting a professional critique on a book you're not going to submit, especially seeing as how he will probably spend his time pointing out things you already know are wrong. I would rather send in the best work I can, to gauge how close it is to the standard the industry sets and to also see what kinds of mistakes I am making that I am unaware of. And who knows, if its really good you may have a foot in the door.

Edit* sorry I didn't read your post properly- I see he chose WIP1 because he liked the premise. That sounds like he made a casual selection. I don't think he would care either way which one you submit.

Last edited:

Swtlo

Registered
Reaction score
hmmm...

Well, what about posting your first chapter for feedback here to see if u can get some help quickly getting the 10 pages "fixed" and then submitting what he requested?
On the flip side this prize is for your benefit. If u think you'd get more value out of the second work I would do it, if u think you'd rather have him help you alter the one your struggling with then send it.
The bight side on this one it is a win win situation for you, valuable professional feedback no matter which you choose to send.
Good luck! I know the decisions a toughy.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SWTLO: I'd do that, but I've already bitten my nails to nubs. I usually on post in SYW when I've downed lots of sugar (uppers) and am feeling particularly good about myself. LOL Kidding about the uppers.

Lucy

sky with diamonds
Registered
Reaction score
If it is a critique, perhaps you should send the first since you say that one needs to be re-worked. If you're happy with wip2, what are you hoping to get from the critique?

JessicaJoy

Author & Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wishing-on-stars.com
I'd send him the one he asked for. In my experience people tend to remember things like this, and if they think you asked them what they wanted, only to give them something else, they get the idea you were only asking what they wanted to suck up, and you are going to do whatever you want in the end. This isn't experience with editors though, just people in general. People like to feel like it matters when you ask their opinion. :)

Edit: Oh sorry, I just remembered this was the ask the editor forum, I'm not an editor, I was just reading the post and thought I'd throw in my thoughts on it.

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I know this thread is from a few days ago, but...

I'm with Lynn -- editors have really good memories. Also, if he is offering critique at a writers' conference, he is probably doing it with possible acquisition in mind, not just for fun or more work to do.

Good luck with your submission!

thomas86

Registered
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd got to the woodshed on the first ten pages of #1... you're going to rewrite it anyway and that's the one he asked for.

janischa

Registered
Reaction score
congratz

congratz on your prize ! i'd first try to rework those 10 pages of wip1 asap and then send wip1 to him. Even if you're 'realistic' in not getting your hopes up, it's still a very small chance of getting noticed so you need to see that those 10 pages at least are the best you can currently do. And apparently, the storyline of wip1 makes more sense to him. If he likes them and requests to read more, you can always ask him for some extra time to revise the rest first.