PDA

View Full Version : Hello Writers, I'm Sharky.

Sharky
10-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Hello everyone, please allow me to introduce myself.
My real name is Ryan but my online handle has been 'Sharky' for as long as I can remember. I'm 23 but I'll be 24 before the week comes to a close and I live on a little known island between England and France known as Jersey, Channel Islands.

I am not a published author. I don't think I am even close to being a published author, but I am slowly and surely working my way through my first novel which is tentatively known as 'Tales of Fray' a fantasy book which I hope to aim at the Young Adult market.

As much as it pains me to admit it the truth is that I only picked up books in the past few years. Not because I haven't wanted to read books but because I'm heavily dyslexic. (If I'm honest, by the time I've finished writing this I will have used a spell checker and found numerous mistakes, but I get better each year). I could barely read at age 11 and it took until I was 19 years old before I'd conquered dyslexia to the degree that I felt confident enough to pick up a book and read it from beginning to end. It was The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis, I enjoyed it immensely and I've barely taken my nose out of books since!

Whilst I have come to appreciate and enjoy writing more than I thought I ever would, my drive to write a book wasn't from a love of writing, but a drive to tell a story that could really capture the imagination of children and young adults in the same way writers like C.S.Lewis, J.R.R.Tolkien and many others have done for me.

I hope I can achieve that and look forward to being apart of this community of writers.
Thank you for reading my longer than expected introduction!

P.S. If you could spare a few moments of your time, please do check out my blog which is still a work in process.
www.RyanLThomas.com (http://www.RyanLThomas.com)

or twitter at:
http://twitter.com/RL_Thomas

Thanks again,
Sharky

ladybritches
10-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Welcome, Ryan. :welcome:

You have great taste in books. :D

jamiehall
10-11-2011, 06:10 AM
:welcome: :TheWave: :welcome:
:hooray: :partyguy: :PartySmil :banana: :banana: :Jump: :banana: :wag:

Determination
10-11-2011, 06:20 AM
:welcome:

Alessandra Kelley
10-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Welcome. Gosh, what a great intro! All I know about Jersey is Lillie Langtry, those lovely golden cows, and warm knitted garments. Which is probably tiresomely obvious. Hope you enjoy your stay!

D.M.Drake
10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Welcome! Happy upcoming birthday!

Sharky
10-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm and smiley filled welcome!

Welcome. Gosh, what a great intro! All I know about Jersey is Lillie Langtry, those lovely golden cows, and warm knitted garments. Which is probably tiresomely obvious. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Thank you very much.
That's more than most people know about Jersey, we are also known for our milk, potatoes (Jersey Royals) and export of Jersey Lilies, the flower not the actress.

On the subject of Lillie Langtry, I live not far from where she is buried and have visited her grave.

Finally, I like your art gallery. I particularly like the sketch of the flying ship, very imaginative. I have some art on my blog but it is not half as good as yours, maybe one day. =)

Welcome! Happy upcoming birthday!
Thanks D.M.Drake!

xXVampyrePrincessXx
10-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Welcome Sharky :)

~Amber~

GreenEpic
10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Welcome to AW!!

Nickie
10-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the Cooler, Sharky. Btw, I just love Jersey - a beautiful island, especially for someone who doesn't want to drive a car. Hope you can publish that YA novel!

CACTUSWENDY
10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

shawn
10-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Hello! Welcome to AW, Sharky. It's great to have you aboard! And might I add, happy upcoming birthday.

Archerbird
10-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Welcome! :D

Flowerfairy
10-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Welcome, dear

Oromashu
10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Welcome. Proud to have you aboard.

sadron
10-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Hello and welcome!

regdog
10-11-2011, 03:23 PM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l117/regdog/hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315) and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217563) regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Sarah G
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
:welcome:

Griffin Hayes
10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Hello and welcome Sharky!

RAL
10-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Glad to have you aboard Sharky!

My dad used to tell me stories about Ralph the Jellyfish constantly being chased by the evil Sharky when i was a wee lad ... hope that's not you once you jump into the water ;)

ral

Wholehearted
10-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Welcome! You've got a fun user name.

thehairymob
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
:hi::hooray:

writingismypassion
10-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi, Sharky! Ah, C.S. Lewis. I could read The Chronicles of Narnia a thousand times and would still want to read the books again. You've got great inspiration...good luck with the writing process!

cornie
10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Hello! :)

Checked out your site--your art is gorgeous!

Side note: Your user name is totally my sister's high school nickname. She had/has a massive fear of sharks, and who knows how, but that translated to naming her Sharky.

UrbanAmazon
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the cooler, Sharky. It's great to see another writer/artist here. Can't wait to see more!

Sharky
10-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Glad to have you aboard Sharky!

My dad used to tell me stories about Ralph the Jellyfish constantly being chased by the evil Sharky when i was a wee lad ... hope that's not you once you jump into the water ;)

ral
Haha, I don’t think so but you never know! =)

Hi, Sharky! Ah, C.S. Lewis. I could read The Chronicles of Narnia a thousand times and would still want to read the books again. You've got great inspiration...good luck with the writing process!

Now if only I could get to Narnia; I continue to check my wardrobe every now and again, just incase! Thanks.

Hello! :)

Checked out your site--your art is gorgeous!

Side note: Your user name is totally my sister's high school nickname. She had/has a massive fear of sharks, and who knows how, but that translated to naming her Sharky.
Thank you very much for your kind words. With both my art and writing I hope to improve with time!

Turns out ‘Sharky’ is a popular nickname!

Welcome to the cooler, Sharky. It's great to see another writer/artist here. Can't wait to see more!
Thank you for your warm welcome, I would love to see your artwork!

Kelkelen
10-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey, there, Sharky! Lovely intro. I'm new around these parts, too, and also an author/illustrator. Looking forward to checking out your stuff. :)

shakeysix
10-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Hello Sharky. I'm shakey--s6

Sharky
10-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Hello guys!

jaeladarling
10-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Welcome, Sharky! Looks like I need to go look up Jersey. And here I thought I was geographically inclined. LOL

BaldEagle
10-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Wonderfully historic islands! Welcome

theresaeileen
10-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Hello Sharky, welcome.:)