Online journalism course

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with some of the shorter online journalism courses?

What did you learn, and do you think you learned anything that you couldn't have found out on your own?

Did having the course on your resume help you in any way?

Any courses you would recommend?

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
They're not journalism courses per se, but Writer's Digest University offers courses on nonfiction, magazine writing, nonfiction books, etc.

I took their nonfiction course and had a great experience. Highly qualified teacher, great materials.

A lot of successful freelance journalists supplement their income by teaching classes on magazine writing, nonfiction book writing, green writing, blogging, etc. Check their credentials and talk to some former students before signing up.

I'm not sure these type of classes really matter resume-wise, but they can help you get good clips. Magazine writing classes, for example, will help you polish up a story or query idea, then give ideas where to market it.

denenewrites

Registered
Reaction score
I took an editing course through MediaBistro last year. They are quite pricey and not something that I found to be worth the price tag.

I've also signed up for a couple of courses that freelance writers offer. Like Ulee Lhea said, make sure you look at their credentials/experience/testimonials before signing up. I would go this route again before taking a class through MB.

As for enhancing your resume, I don't think any class will help. If we're talking strictly about freelancing, new clients hardly ever ask to see my resume; clips matter more. So if you're looking to freelance, only take the class if you feel it will improve your skills -- not as a resume booster.

If you're looking for a job in journalism, I would say that a degree is what employers are looking for. So again, it depends on your overall goals.

Maybe giving more details about your goals will help in answering this.