Hey, y'all!

Nawlins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Nawlins, another newb introducing herself as suggested but Lawd, I hate introducing myself... Here goes.

In my former life, I am a veteran teacher (22 years) of reading/English/lit to students in an inner-city school and a certified learning therapist specializing in reading disabilities and ADD. I left teaching when I had an accident which impaired my mobility; things happen fast in a classroom and a teacher who can't cross the room in a hurry is at a severe disadvantage (and so are her students).

Over the years, I have had two non-fiction books (spirituality and psychism) accepted for pub by a brick-and-mortar publishing house and more articles and self-pub'd ebooks than I can count.

I do love fiction, though, and am sorely tempted to try my hand at it.

In other areas, I love animals, cooking, really old movies, nature, angels, and music. I tend to be easy going (facing a class of kids, some of whom are armed, makes calmness an asset, lol) and somewhat open-minded and pacifist in most circumstances.

I believe that:
-humor makes everything better
-there is always more to celebrate than to curse
-making yummy noises burns off the calories in cheesecake
-the last cookie is always mine

ETA: I think this would have been easier and less wordy had I read some other intros first, but c'est la vie.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Irene Rose

Registered
Reaction score
You have my admiration Nawlins, I probably couldn't survive teaching for a single year much less 22! I totally agree with the cheescake comment, (in my opinion no bettter dessert in the world). Anyway, welcome to AW!

armydillo978

Banned
Reaction score
Old movies eh? To me that means black and white. :) Lot's of good clean humor from back in the day. Welcome to AW.

As for trying your hand at fiction. Why not? Even the best of writers tried it at one time and ending up being the best of writers. ;)

Nawlins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! Thanks for the warm welcome!

>Cactus Wendy - popcorn with butter, please!

>Irene Rose - Oh, I loved teaching my crew. They were tough - we had to watch for everything from fighting to pimping on the school grounds - but I firmly believe that education is the fastest route from the projects. Brag: my last year teaching, my remedial readers outscored the GT class in vocabulary on the state test, heh heh. Boy, that was one angry GT teacher. That was the only time my kids managed that, but you should have seen those kids preen when I told them! :D And cheesecake rules. Also brownies. And red velvet cake. And peanut butter fudge. Hmm. Caramel popcorn comes to mind, homemade of course. Sheesh, and me on a (nother) diet. Argh.

>Armydillo - yes, indeed b&w! I just caught After the Thin Man on some channel or other...I see b/w when channel flipping and I'm hooked!

*waving*

Irene Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! Thanks for the warm welcome!
>Irene Rose - Oh, I loved teaching my crew. They were tough - we had to watch for everything from fighting to pimping on the school grounds - but I firmly believe that education is the fastest route from the projects. Brag: my last year teaching, my remedial readers outscored the GT class in vocabulary on the state test, heh heh. Boy, that was one angry GT teacher. That was the only time my kids managed that, but you should have seen those kids preen when I told them! :D And cheesecake rules. Also brownies. And red velvet cake. And peanut butter fudge. Hmm. Caramel popcorn comes to mind, homemade of course. Sheesh, and me on a (nother) diet. Argh.

*waving*

Hahaha! thats awesome, sounds like my old high school. Of course cheesecake rules, and red velvet and brownies, and fudge, (jeeze can I join you on that diet?)and my madre make the most fabulous carmel popcorn! After eating hers couldn't eat store bought ever agian!

Last edited:

Nawlins

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, y'all. I'm hungry for caramel popcorn now, though...lol.

shawn

Registered
Reaction score
Caramel? Sounds good. Anyways, welcome to the AW, Nawlins!

GreenEpic

...because you don't know yourself
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

cornie

I'm a sucker for love stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalschubert.com
I believe that:
-humor makes everything better
-there is always more to celebrate than to curse
-making yummy noises burns off the calories in cheesecake
-the last cookie is always mine

Love this! :) I believe all of these things as well.

And welcome!