Those that have answered, please review my follow-up. There is a deep misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
Please look at this hypothetically:

Okay, let's say I wanted to propose to an experienced/traditionally published writer to do some query letter writing and synopsis writing.

Here's what I'm proposing: [remember, you're getting paid for this.

The writer will read the novel which is about 75K words.
The Genre is YA Fantasy, first of its series. IRL: NOT MY BOOK. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME.

I'm not sure how much the prices are actually worth, but I'm simply estimating how much I'll pay. Keep in mind, these is not the real prices and this is hypothetically:

Novel reading. (No feedback required. ) $5
Query: $30 (No more than a page.)
Synopsis: $250 (At least 3 pages.)
Time: $15
Total: $300

Let's say I proposed this for just one book, which isn't even that long. Keep in mind, I am considering this-- and paying via PayPal.

FAQ

How do I know I can trust you?

This goes without saying with any editor, publishing company, freelance writing job. I've been a member here since 2008, so I'm not just some random guy; however, I completely understand if anyone is paranoid about not getting paid. Believe me, having that happen to you --being blunt-- sucks. There is no other word I'm going to use.
A simple contact will be made in word...

When will I get paid?
After you submit the work, I'll go through it. I can't just pay for anything --you might spam! However, if its not just "dhrfydfsudnfsinsd" then I'll review it. If you have to, you can post it in a forum thread or via PM; so that an admin can back you up if you somehow have any suspicions.

How will I get paid?
PayPal. Safest way I can do this.

Are you really going to pay?
Dishonesty will not get you far in life. Payment will be given upon acceptance.

Can I negotiate pay?
I'm not asking you to write a novel or anything.But this thread is somewhat like that. But keep in mind, I'm the one paying YOU, not the other way around. I'm willing to deplete my funds and go this far just to learn something. (Pt. 2: Then why not just download a sample? No. I'd rather see one composed from my writing --and willing to pay. I need to see what I'm doing wrong and paying someone to go in-depth with this is motivation for the writing and will drive them to write a damn good one.)

How can I get this assignment?

First of all, you MUST have been a member since at least 2010. Second, you must have at least 2 traditionally published novels. Thirdly, you must look at this as extra cash, not income. Fourth, I only can choose a single person. I can review the applicants or just randomly choose. If anything this will be done as soon as possible, so that we can move on.

Now let's be realistic, don't post here saying.

"YOU CALL THIS PAY!? A 75K novel --to do all of that, you have to pay $243893587935893480394750389049 dollars and 43848904394893 sets of fees."

I don't want to read these. Remember, this is hypothetical, so calm down xD. I can adjust the pay, but I don't have thousands of dollars, so don't even try that trick.
If fact, I'll never ever ever ever ever pay that much. That's just ridiculous. So no. Stay realistic. This isn't a get rich quick assignment.

Just post what you think but there is a thread in PAYING markets saying that you're not allowed to criticize the pay.

What should I post in this thread, since it's hypothetically?
- Post what you think, assuming you've read the whole thing. I cover as much as possible.

What to not post?
Pay criticism, "stupid" comments. You may offer a few suggestions if you like, but remember, I am not a company, bank, money train. I am a single person, so stay within reason.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a question for you. If you're a writer, why don't you write them yourself?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
How do I know I can trust you?

This goes without saying with any editor, publishing company, freelance writing job. I've been a member here since 2008, so I'm not just some random guy; however, I completely understand if anyone is paranoid about not getting paid. Believe me, having that happen to you --being blunt-- sucks. There is no other word I'm going to use.
A simple contact will be made in word...

When will I get paid?
After you submit the work, I'll go through it. I can't just pay for anything --you might spam! However, if its not just "dhrfydfsudnfsinsd" then I'll review it. If you have to, you can post it in a forum thread or via PM; so that an admin can back you up if you somehow have any suspicions.

Hypothetically, how can I trust you?

You say you won't pay for the work until it's turned it, you've read it, and you know what you're getting. Fair enough, I suppose. But what happens if you don't hypothetically like what I've hypothetically written? What protects me from doing this $300 worth of work if you decide you don't like it once I've turned it in?

Hypothetically, how do I know you won't ask this of multiple authors, then decide to actually pay the one whose work you like the most?

Hypothetically, how do I know you won't use my written materials anyway, even if you've rejected them and not paid me?

Do you see where lots and lots of hypothetical problems exist with your hypothetical idea? Most commercially published authors (commercial, not traditional) are going to look at an offer like this and ask the same questions I just asked.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agents and editors routinely reject queries written by someone other than the author of the book under discussion. This is a supremely bad idea.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And say this hypothetical query letter and synopsis is to your satisfaction and gets you a hypothetical agent phone call? I don't think I can imitate your voice well enough to answer his or her questions in detail. Or maybe I think the pay was inadequate, so I write a query and synopsis you think is perfectly adequate. You pay me, but because the materials were not of the necessary quality and you were not able to judge that (because if you could, you'd be writing this for yourself), you'll fail because of me, thereby increasing my own chances?

Not that I meet your standards in the first place.

Maryn, hypothetical herself

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Let me tell you what experienced/traditional authors know:

Pen doesn't hit paper until the check clears.

Also: $5 to read a novel? $15 for time? Joking, right? Hypothetically.

One last note: This isn't the first book of a series, because it won't be a series until after it sells, and sells well.

Which it probably won't. It'll have series potential, perhaps. But nothing beyond that.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Learn how to write them yourself. You're a writer. That's your job.

Writing isn't something you can outsource.

And if you treat it like some rich kids (also known as plagiarists and cheaters) do in HS and college, by buying papers online--then you can kiss any writing career you may have had goodbye. Because it'll be obvious from the first paragraph of your book that the query/synop writer and the book writer are two different people.

Repeating: You want to be a writer? Then WRITE.

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
No, no -- guys. I know to write them myself, I am a writer. This isn't for me -- it's actually for my mother, who is trying to start her own business. Please forgive me for leaving out this, but she kinda didn't want me to inform anyone, until she was sure that she was going to begin her business. I told her I couldn't write for her since I'm too busy with writing.

really guys... ._. these aren't the answers I can reply to her. There are two things she wants to do:
1. Create a transport service 2. Open an online library (she said something like that... gaw, next time, I'm going to let her post ---she'll have to deal with things as a newbie :/)

And I mentioned the prices weren't real.... I apologize for this post.

Last edited:

D.M.Drake

Working hard, loving every second!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kourageouskidsstorybooks.com
Alvin,
As awesome as the idea is to any new writer to have the work done for us, it would only be your mother hurting our chances at getting published- not help. We have to show our ability to convey the reasons our books should sell in our own voices. If we don't we are selling ourselves short and ruining our reputation. Hard work and discipline gets us agents, not having the footwork done for us. Please tell her this is not a good idea and there are better ways to make a dollar than to destroy a new writers chances with an agent or publisher.
~noob writer. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, no -- guys. I know to write them myself, I am a writer. This isn't for me -- it's actually for my mother, who is trying to start her own business. Please forgive me for leaving out this, but she kinda didn't want me to inform anyone, until she was sure that she was going to begin her business. I told her I couldn't write for her since I'm too busy with writing.

really guys... ._. these aren't the answers I can reply to her.

And I mentioned the prices weren't real....

That doesn't even make any sort of sense. You mother is starting a business and needs people to write queries and synopsis for her? That just doesn't compute.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and now you've edited everything. Fabulous.

There are two things she wants to do:
1. Create a transport service 2. Open an online library (she said something like that... gaw, next time, I'm going to let her post ---she'll have to deal with things as a newbie :/)

And I mentioned the prices weren't real.... I apologize for this post.
Good grief. You've wasted everyone's time with this mess. I'm locking this now. Don't do anything like this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.