Taking deep breath.... Go! First Post!

Sorcha

Registered
Reaction score
First post. Inexperience with forums, so apologies in advance for any faux-pas.
Already got lost around the threads here, there’s so much info it makes me dizzy! In a good way - puts these lazy synapses to work!

Here's my intro:
Ph.D. engineer converted into a stay at home mom of two, who are as onerous and entropic as they are adorable.
Currently a writer-wanna-be, wondering if I've got what it takes and whether the fact that I'm not a native speaker shows too much.
I've written a novel (112,000+ words) and a short-story, but haven't made much progress into trying to sell them yet.

I'm now in the process of collecting information for my immediate goal of… tun, dun, dun… finding an agent, sounds familiar?

What have been keeping me from pursuing that goal more actively is that I'm not sure what the genre of my novel is! What am I to write in the query? "Dear agent, don't know what the genre of my novel is, but here's…." Now that would come across really well with the agents, don't you think? (Snicker.)
I thought I had written a historical fiction, but my first beta reader thinks it's a fantasy. I don't think it falls within the fantasy genre as it doesn't invoke neither magic nor supernatural phenomena. So I would like to start off with a question regarding that - is that OK or bad form? Should I get more acquainted before posting questions? If it’s alright, then could someone please tell me where the most appropriate place to post this type of question would be, whether in the "historical fiction" forum, "fantasy" forum, right here in the "newbie" forum (where I might more easily find some good souls that feel generous towards my newbie inexperience), or where?

I look forward to getting acquainted with the community here.

Thank you, and Hello everybody!

sperrynluv

Bundle up. It's cold out there.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
comeoutwhenyourehappy.blogspot.com
Hello from one Newbie to another.
I think I can help you figure out your genre. :)
Does it take place in this world? If no then you're fantasy or sci fi.
You already said there isn't any magic which doesn't scream fantasy.
Is it roughly based on a historical time or event? If yes, then you're probably historical.
Next question. Who is your audience? You need to specify adult or YA (teens).
Once you've established your genre and audience, you'll need to research word count. Yours sounds a little high.

I'm a stay at home mom too. Hopefully I'll see you around the forums.

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Sorcha,

This is a fantastic community. In my opinion, feel free to ask your questions where you think it would seem fit. A mod can correct me if I'm wrong. If you don't know, you may want to go to the "Novel" forum.

Hopefully, we can help you with your query letter once you get to 50 posts. But until then, take your time to look around and drink everything in. There are some fabulous stickies in the Share Your Work section in Query Letter Hell that can help you get started with your query.

Good luck.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Sorcha

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you sperrynluv and Wesley Kang for your welcome.

Sperrynluv, you ask very good questions.

When writing this novel I had in mind Western Europe around 500 ad.
Clothes, lifestyle, weapons, flora, fauna, even the birth control used are all adequate to the time. I mention languages such as Persig (Persian) and Hellenic (Greek) (not the one they spoke locally), Gods such as Tiw (pagan God of war), and literature such as Homer's Illiad. The "books" in the story are just starting to transition to Codex format. And so on. Not saying I got it all right, but I tried my best to be consistent with reality at that time.
However, not only the characters, but also the small city-state and the tribes around it are entirely fictional.
My beta reader tells me that because the locations are fictional, than I should rewrite it removing all real-world references and make it a fantasy. Needless to say, that would cripple my novel considerably.
Question is, if characters are fictional in "historical fiction", then families are too, right? And at that time, tribes were but extended families, so can tribes be fictional as well and still fall within the classification, and if so, can small towns, or city-states? In other words, where is the line drawn between what is allowed to be fictional or not in a "historical fiction"?

Sorcha

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you regdog, good advice, I've read those and I have to say I particularly liked MacAllister's thread on "Respecting the other posters" regarding what it means to be inclusive. Very well written.
BTW, wonderful banner, I personally loathe having the pc police mangle good literature. But it's not from today, isn't Little Red Riding Hood supposed to be eaten by the wolf in the original version?

Thank you, CC Allen. Waving back.

Will need to leave for awhile, but will be back soon - oh so much info to read here!
I can see this becoming addictive!

sperrynluv

Bundle up. It's cold out there.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
comeoutwhenyourehappy.blogspot.com
I don't see how your beta readers could conclude you are fantasy. I think you are definately historical. You can make up people, towns, whatever and still be historical as long as your setting is historical. I don't think there are any clear rules. I'm not sure what credentials your beta readers have, but in this case it's pretty fair to say they were wrong.

Anieros Daimonas

Registered
Reaction score
Glad am I to welcome another to AW, I hope to read some things from you and others in the future, my friend. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there Sorcha, and welcome to AW. I also write 'historical' fiction, which means I use a certain time setting but my characters and (most) events are purely my own invention. My publisher likes what I do, even if you can't put a label on it. It's history, adventure, action, romance and so much more... If you have any questions about what you do, you can always contact me via PM.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:!

I see you've made 12 posts in less than 12 hours ... that tells me you'll fit right in here!

When you get 50 posts (which obviously won't be long) you can post a description and excerpt in one of the SYW forums and ask what genre people think it is.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from a fellow fantasy writer! I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here at AW. :D

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ph.D. engineer converted into a stay at home mom of two, who are as onerous and entropic as they are adorable.

Sounds like one a great story to write about. Good luck with the agent hunting and with your career.

Oh and WELCOME!!!!!

CM-Lance

Registered
Reaction score
Website
CM-Lance.com
Greetings Sorcha,
From your writing, I would say you have assimilated English very well. Did not get the feeling you weren't a native. I love good historical fiction it's an easy way to absorb history. It's nice if there is good history research included, but IME (in my experience) it comes in all shapes. IMO what you describe is historical fiction.

Best of luck with your queries.

LyssaL

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Scorcha,
It was your post (and the great replies you received) that gave me the courage to register and post. So thanks!
Also, (sigh) I do so understand that genre dilemma. I write women's fiction with a strong supernatural (is that fantasy?) element. It's so difficult to pin it down for agents/publishers, but I know it's crucial to do so.
I'm really impressed by some of the logical and helpful responses to your question and hope you found them as helpful as I did!
Lyssa

uscgbyron

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marieabmare.wordpress.com
Hello and welcome!
Congrats on finishing a novel! ve yet to do that, maybe sometime in the near future I can get it done. (I know, that's what we all say) For what it's worth, your description sounds more like historical fiction than fantasy to me. Best of luck with querying and all.