My name's Spencer, I wrote a book, & I think I'm cursed

spentastico

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.spencerphelpsdotcom.com
I think I need some help with my query letter. I see I have to post 50 times, but I can't really impart any advice since I haven't been successful at this yet. Guess I can hobnob around the other forums.

I'm a thirty-something Ohio dude with no literary contacts whatsoever. I've written locally for our paper and done some other projects, but that's the extent of my public creativity resume. I wrote a contemporary fiction novel called "Wannabe Deadbeat" about a twenty-something Ohio dude who wants to have a kid to fulfill his duty as a human being, but he doesn't want to have anything to do with kids. I finished it and began the querying process.

I got a positive response on the VERY FIRST query I sent out! They wanted to see more. I sent more, then they said it wasn't what they expected, so thanks anyways. Fast forward 4 months later, and I'm on my 76th rejection with another 20-some out at the moment.

Is this many rejections normal? I guess I'm just getting a little worried at this point and am looking for either some comfort that this is normal or a review of my current tactics if it's not.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Spencer

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Welcome Spencer!

As Regdog stated, take some time to post around and then share your work-we have top-notch critiques in there.

Cheers,
Natasha

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome. Yes, it's normal. I've read of published authors who claim to have been able to paper a whole room with their rejections.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think I need some help with my query letter.

I got a positive response on the VERY FIRST query I sent out!

Fast forward 4 months later, and I'm on my 76th rejection with another 20-some out at the moment.

Is this many rejections normal?

First things first:

ferret20welcome.gif

Now... I'm thinking it might not be your query letter, especially if you got a bite your first go -- although it wouldn't hurt to have it looked at to see if it couldn't be tightened.

There might be something about the story itself that needs help. You could try asking for a Beta reader or posting sample chapters (when you reach the 50 post minimum).

Until then, have fun, look around, soak up the atmosphere and advice. Regdog posted a couple important links. You can also start your education with the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim thread. Lots of great advice there from our own Sage, Uncle Jim.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome to the board.

Just in case it wasn't clear, you can post in Share Your Work, you just can't start a new thread of your own until you hit 50 posts. So you can read and comment on other query letters, writing samples, etc. in SYW. Cool way to reach 50 posts. Maybe even make some friendly contacts along the way.

-Derek

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. You probably just need to polish up your manuscript a bit. Sounds like your query is okay. Luckily, you've come to the right place to learn this stuff. Hang out in the SYW forums, and comment on other people's work, to build up your fifty posts.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

spentastico

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.spencerphelpsdotcom.com
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the 'forum jump' you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. After you post 50 posts you can use the SYW areas to get help there. The password for some of the areas is…..vista. A word to the wise, it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

Re: Help before helped: Definitely. I just don't know what I can offer since I haven't been successful yet. I just did what I know how to do, you know? Once I get it right, I'll start talking like an expert. Anything else would just be me sharing what I like and don't like.

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
In some respects, just sharing what you like and don't like is extremely helpful. Your unique perspective is just as helpful as (for example) a published writer or a professional editor. Readers are readers. All opinions are welcomed.

legion

Registered
Reaction score
welcome, we all start out new, but the forums here are very informative and im sure youll find all you want after looking around here like i did.