How do I find/hire an editor for a nonfiction legal story?

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in hiring an editor to critique my manuscript and then after I rework it have them edit it. About 6 months ago I had an editor read the manuscript and critique it, but my work wasn't in their genre. I took their feedback and made the changes they suggested.

My question is how do I find an right editor in my genre?

My nonfiction story began as a memoir and now I have changed it to more creative nonfiction about several legal cases that come together in the pages of the book. I changed from memoir because after querying agents, getting nowhere, realizing that memoir is a difficult genre to break into, I felt my work might be best suited as creative legal nonfiction. But again I'm not sure. This is the reason why I'd like a professional editor that deals with legal memoir or legal nonfiction to critique my work to help guide me in the right direction.

I went through the 2011 Literary Market Place and I have found about a dozen names in legal nonfiction and/or memoir but I'm not sure who is best suited for my work.

Any idea or suggestions how I can find what I need? And what to expect?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Creative non fiction?....Ah, that would make it fiction then....right? Cause it makes it sound like some of it is made up.

Or do you mean like True Crime/true story type?

I guess it's the genre that is throwing me.

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
The story has several legal cases -- a family law case, a corporate takeover case and a white collar crime case. It does has an element of crime although it is not murder. But the entire storyline is legal in nature.

I'm finding most true crime are stories about murder.

No part of the story is make up, everything is true facts.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Remlig,

Is it really a memoir, but you are trying to fit it into something else? What kind of law is it?

I think there is a forum here for advertising for beta readers. You just give a description of your work and say you are looking for someone who is interested in reading your genre.

By the way, how many agents did you query?

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
I have found this forum isn't so anonymous and the information posted here goes all over the internet and it here for forever and a day. Anyone can find it in a google search. So with that said, I would like to keep a bit of privacy here. I'm not sure I wish to post anything more than I have stated already about the legal cases.

As far as the type of law; family law, corporate law and white collar legal cases.

Yes, I have submitted to agents. Too many that I don't want to admit to. I understand memoir is a difficult area to get published and thus my reason for my desire to move into the area of something else. But the story is about legal cases.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
If it's a book about legal cases, it must have a theme. I would advertise at local colleges for beta readers who might be interested in reading a book on legal cases with your theme. You might find a law student or two interested who write as well.

As for finding an editor, if that's what you want, I would suggest to keep looking for someone who edits legal nonfiction.

As for secrecy and the internet, many people at this forum beta read and keep confidentiality. You might just want to put a call out in the beta reading forum and share details via email or private message.

Good luck on finding what you need! :)

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, my manuscript has a theme so to speak. The cases all tie together in a neat little package. But I do need a professional who know the ins and outs and if I'm lucky might have an in with a publisher. I guess that just wishful dreaming...

I called several professors regarding finding a student to read or edit my work about a year ago. It lead me nowhere. Students here in Florida are lazy and the half a dozen professor I spoke with couldn't find one interested students. They are all too busy with their studies. One of the professor was the one that said Florida has lazy student, she came from Texas and said there was no comparison.

Frankly, I'm at the stage that I want to move forward with a professional editor and will pay for their services. I'm just not sure where to find one other than the names I found in the LMP. That is why I posted this thread cause there seems to be a lot of talent here.

Thanks for the idea about emails and private messages.

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
I just made my way through the list I compiled from LMP of editors in my genre. I cross referenced them and looked up web sites or what ever information I could gather online. I am rather disheartened to find the vast majority don't have web sites, or the URL's don't work and the ones that do don't look at all professional. The rest of the names I have only list a phone number and/or an address.

Is that how editors work nowadays?

Where do editors hang out?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have found this forum isn't so anonymous and the information posted here goes all over the internet and it here for forever and a day. Anyone can find it in a google search.

AW's Share Your Work section is password-protected and hidden from search engines, so you're safe to post your work there if you want to. It could be that you're getting rejections because your writing needs work: posting an exerpt in SYW will highlight that for you, if it's the case. You need a minimum of 50 posts in order to start a thread there.

Yes, my manuscript has a theme so to speak. The cases all tie together in a neat little package. But I do need a professional who know the ins and outs and if I'm lucky might have an in with a publisher. I guess that just wishful dreaming...

You don't need in "in" with a publisher if your work is up to scratch.

I called several professors regarding finding a student to read or edit my work about a year ago. It lead me nowhere. Students here in Florida are lazy and the half a dozen professor I spoke with couldn't find one interested students. They are all too busy with their studies.
If someone who thought I was lazy and unreasonably busy with my own work wanted me to read or edit their work for free I wouldn't take it very well.

Where do editors hang out?

You might try the Editorial Freelancers Association. You can post a job listing there for free, or consult its directory of members.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
A student with no experience in commercial publishing isn't going to be any better at editing your work than you are.

Remember, "editing" isn't just a fancy name for a spelling-and-grammar check.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Your book is absolutely "true crime." Some bestselling true crime books have been about financial crimes, from books about Bernie Madoff to the engaging book God Wants You to Roll, about young con artists targeting small church congregations.

In addition to the good suggestions you've gotten, I am going to recommend The Editorial Freelancers Association's job listings (you can post a job listing for free) and member directory. I know that there are a few former attorneys-turned-editors among the EFA membership.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Just checked out the links and was wondering. Have these editors been veted? Are they reliable and honest. I mean no offence to editors in general but if someone is asking me for money I'd like to know if they can be trusted. Sadly, we live in a suspicious world and I for one have been burned in the past.
Thoughts? Comments? Thanks.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Telford, I don't know. But before I'd employ anyone I'd want to see their CV, to check that they had relevant experience. That would work here.

You could also check out what the membership requirements are for joining the EFA, or any other association whose members you're considering employing. That would be useful too.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
telford, if you're in Australia you probably should be looking at Australian editors, not US editors. The EFA is an organization for professional editors working in the US.

But what Old Hack says is right on for every locality--get a resume/cv and references from clients.

REMLIG

Registered
Reaction score
EFA site

I have had very good luck with EFA so far.

The 80 plus editors that applied for the position were highly experienced. 70 of them supplied their CV or resume, along with web sites, and references. I did check each one out that I was considering. Many of them I was able to check out through Barns & Noble and Amazon. Several were mentioned by the author in the acknowledgment section of the books they edited. I think EFA has a screening process for the members. I'm not sure -- but they wanted all sorts of information from me as well just to post the ad. They also screen the ad, and choose if they will post it or not. It's not like a message board. You must be will to pay the editor at least $30 an hour and up and you pay the editor directly. If the editor wishes to accept a price per page or word, or by the project, its up to them to decide and you can work it out with them. But the editors don't work for free.

I will report back and let you know how it all transpires as they complete the process with my project. But, I would give the site and the members a thumbs up so far.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
EFA has a good screening process and so does http://www.book-editing.com/

You have to be 100% on the tests the latter sends to applicant editors or they won't take you on.

Keep in mind that if you want feedback, then you've enough rep points to upload excerpts to this site's Share Your Work forum.

Also keep in mind that most new writers are paranoid that someone will "steal" their work. However, you won't be a victim of theft until AFTER you've sold and the book's a success. No one is interested in swiping from the unpublished.

You can hire an editor to do a "content" edit, but it's a waste of your money to ask for feedback when you can get it for free from other writers, family and friends.

Who is your audience for this book? If it's intended for the general reading public, then you need regular people not law students to look at it and let you know what worked and what didn't.

Then you rewrite. Then get more feedback. Then rewrite again.

You won't need editing help until after all that. You can't be impatient. Even if you choose to self publish using Kindle or CreateSpace, your book is competing with professional level efforts and has to be just as good if not better.

Last edited:

JacelynnFaye

Im here because im procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
This thread answered a lot of questions for me too. The links are awesome thank you so much everyone.