synger

Analysis Paralysis
Registered
Reaction score
So far, I'm a poseur. I talk about writing, but don't do a lot of it. I tend to get so involved with studying it, and reading about it, that I get overwhelmed and never begin.

I'm working on overcoming that habit, and actually putting my bum in the chair and fingers on the keyboard. I've been working on the Children's prompt for August.

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to you. Many many threads are written on that subject, there's even its own subforum "Outwitting Writer's Block", I think it's called.

You can do it! Only you can decide whether or not you are a pro, whether or not you are a writer. And you do that mainly through writing... whether you feel like it or not.

Welcome!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Synger, we totally get the 'overwhelmed' feeling. IMO, one of the most valuable lessons you can learn is that it's completely, totally fine to write utter crap. You don't have to think it's okay for the writing of it to be worth the effort. Churn out the drek!

It can be rewritten, revised, edited, re-thought, and otherwise improved until it's pretty good. Since all writing involves rewriting and editing, fixing your own worthless crap is an excellent learning tool, and knowing it's peachy to write it in the first place can be positively liberating.

Meanwhile, stepping off the Write Crap soapbox, welcome. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Maryn, who goes off on tangents

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Everybody had to start with one piece of writing. Sounds like you've done that, so yay.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck to you! Sometimes beginning in the hardest part. :)

synger

Analysis Paralysis
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome!