About to send in Cover Letter to publisher - Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymzb0nd

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to send cover letters in to publishers about a book I've written which is a humor book, pretty short, the type you'd find at an Urban Outfitters. The similar books that the publishers I'm sending the letters to have published mostly have illustrations and I envision mine would have that too.

I've read that you shouldn't supply your own illustrations because the publisher would like to hire a professional they're familiar with but in the cover letter, should I make note that I think my book should have illustrations or is it something that they would just determine on their own?

I was thinking of ending the cover letter with "[FONT=&quot]I am obviously biased but I believe the book is humorous and, coupled with the proper illustration, will be a huge success.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thank you for your time and consideration" but not sure if I should mention anything about illustration and should just thank them for their consideration. This is my first time so any help is appreciated. Thank you.
[/FONT]

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could mention that the book will require illustrations, and leave it at that. This is overkill:

[FONT="]I believe the book is humorous and, coupled with the proper illustration, will be a huge success[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Telling a publisher that your book is going to be a huge success makes you sound arrogant, and is off-putting.

If I were you I'd participate here a little more and when you reach fifty posts you'll be able to post your work in Query Letter Hell, and get some more in-depth advice on it.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
What Old Hack said. Publishing is a lot about etiquette and being aware of what people have said before to publishers--both positive and negative. It's worth taking the time to do your research and be well-prepared. A couple weeks' wait could be worth it.

I've only been on AW a couple of months, and I am constantly amazed at how much I've learned. Before, I was a total n00b/novice. Now, I'm still an amateur, but at least I know what's what a lot more.

jaymzb0nd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was wondering why I wasn't allowed to post in the QLH haha.

One more question for the meantime: Should I contract verbs using apostrophes i.e. couldn't instead of could not? Going back to my college days, I remember APA shunned using contractions and I don't want to sound too casual with the publisher by doing so. It's definitely inexperience on my part as you have mentioned so sorry if this has been discussed before (just joined the board yesterday).

I'm in the process of writing the cover letter now but I always take at least a week to fiddle with it because the first draft is always in need of improvements. Laura, do you agree that it would be okay to state that the book will require illustrations as OH suggested? If so, should I just stated that the book will require them or say something such as I believe the book would be strengthened with illustrations?

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Thanks. I was wondering why I wasn't allowed to post in the QLH haha.

One more question for the meantime: Should I contract verbs using apostrophes i.e. couldn't instead of could not? Going back to my college days, I remember APA shunned using contractions and I don't want to sound too casual with the publisher by doing so. It's definitely inexperience on my part as you have mentioned so sorry if this has been discussed before (just joined the board yesterday).

I personally limit my use of contractions in query letters, but that's my personal style. Query letters are business letters, and when I write business letters, I don't usually use contractions. I've been writing formally in the business world for a long time, and that's what comes naturally to me.

That doesn't mean someone else can't or shouldn't. It depends on your natural style. If, however, you're worried about it, it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

jaymzb0nd

Registered
Reaction score
Is my title too racy?

"Making the World a Better Place One Asshole at a Time: Why You're an Asshole and How to Be Less Assholey."

It's a humor book which delves into the numerous reasons people are, you guessed it, assholes, and what they they can do to correct it. It's meant to be for entertainment and purely comical. Regardless of how horrible the idea of the book is, I'm afraid that the title might be too racy.

What I like about it is it stands out and seems like it would catch a shoppers eye (something I'm hoping publishers like too). I'm about to send my first sim subs out and don't want to immediately turn off the publishers before they even get a chance to read the parts of the book itself. I've researched the publishers I'm submitting too and it's not like they're Disney type publishers, they have a similar genre of books.

Any input is appreciated. I'm not married to the title at all although it is my favorite.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends on whether or not you want to be that guy whose readers will forever associate him with assholes.

Jay, you've got eight posts under your belt so far and all but one of them are in threads you've started, about your own work.

AW is a big place, and there's lots to learn here. Right now you're asking us all to help you with your work, but not giving anything back. Why don't you get out there and contribute a little bit? It'll help you get fifty posts so that you can then start threads in Share Your Work, which is what I suspect you really want to do. You could posts some crits in SYW (you can post there, you just can't start threads there yet) and help some other writers with their work: that way you're more likely to get some useful comments when you do get your work up.

I'm going to lock this thread now as I don't think it's going to end well: if you, or anyone else, would like it reopened just send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.